Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two different speed HDD's

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2010 2:12:17 PM

I have a 1.5TB Western Digital HDD 3.0 Gb/s internal drive with 64MB cache
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

attached to an Asus M4A785-M board
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

and I would like to attach some extra SATA HDD's to the same board which are slower than the above. Will attaching slower drives to that board slow my reads and writes on the 1.5T drive? All the SATA interfaces are on the board. Just wondering if attaching slower drives will slow down this one or not. I have a bunch of old drives that I want to use as backup image locations. I just don't want to slow things down by attaching them. I know it would have slowed down using an IDE but haven't really tried it with SATA.

I would just try it and test but my components are still being shipped by newegg and I'm debating about whether to just get some similar speed drives as the Western Digital versus using the older ones.

More about : speed hdd

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 19, 2010 3:13:00 PM

No, the 1.5TB HD won't be affected. Each device has its own transfer rate, so putting more won't hurt the transfer rate of the 1.5TB drive.
March 19, 2010 4:16:29 PM

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. That is very helpful information. BTW, I am responding to this message with voice recognition software on windows seven so if this message comes across strangely I apologize.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
March 19, 2010 4:47:25 PM

> I am responding to this message with voice recognition software on windows seven...

I'm impressed that the message appears to be 100% perfect. Are you using the voice recognition built into Windows 7, or are you using a third-party package?
m
l
a b G Storage
March 20, 2010 8:33:41 AM

No worries. That message came out clean. Very clean, in fact. It was perfectly understandable. Like sminlal said, did you use the voice recognition built into windows 7, or are you using a different software?
m
l
March 22, 2010 5:16:01 PM

The native win 7 tool. Works great navigating between windows. Don't try it in a loud room though.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 22, 2010 8:06:38 PM

Cool. I think I might experiment with it a bit...
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:02:02 AM

Best answer selected by yzerman19wingnut.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:04:56 AM

make sure to check out the list of code words windows provides.

for instance you can say "switch to Microsoft Outlook" and it will alt tab over for you but if you say "open Microsoft Outlook" it will open a new instance of it or if you say "go to Microsoft Outlook" it will pretend it doesn't know what you're saying.

Have a blast. It's not an everyday thing to do because pointing and clicking is faster but if you're getting dressed and need to send out an email while tripping over your trousers it will get two things done at once.
m
l
!