Best Graphics Card for a 375 W PSU?

G

Hi all. I've just inherited a Dell 9150. It's not too old (~ 2.5 years old), so it's got an Intel Dual Core 3.4Mhz processor with 2 Gig of RAM. It's also got a GeForce 7300 LE Graphics Card. It has a 17" monitor that has a max resolution of 1280 X 1024.

From my understanding, the 7300 is not really good for gaming, which is something I'd like to use this machine for. So, I've been looking around for a replacement card, and got recommended the ATI 4850. Which looks great.

The one thing I'm nervous about is the ATI's power requirement of 450W. The PSU (according to Dell's specs) is 375 W. Will this be enough for the 4850?

It seems that the other comparable GeForce cards have the same power requirements.

I had a look around the case last night and I don't think I'm game to replace the PSU. Mainly because I'm afraid I'm going to break something while removing/putting back the wires.

So, will the ATI 4850 cope with the Dell's PSU? If not, can anyone recommend a Graphics card that performs better than the 7300 that can run with the Dell's smaller PSU? I don't have a GeForce/Radeon preference. The only preference I have is to save myself some time by not replacing the PSU? I'm not looking for bleeding-edge performance and my monitor is not the best. I'd just like something that can admirably run something like Call of Duty and the like.

Thanks for any info,
Ed

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
the total amount of watts isn't as important as the number of amps on the +12V rail. check the sticker on the power supply for that number. if it's less than 18A then a 4850 is completely out of the question. but even if it's higher than that, i doubt it would run reliably. either consider upgrading the psu as well, or lower your expectations in a video card. also, that pentium D you have isn't very good for gaming. consider upgrading that at some point as well.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I dont think is worth upgrading such system.
My friend also is in a similar situation and I told him that the best bang for the buck was the 4850, but that would mean new PSU too.

He is going to save for a new pc later on, which is a better idea.

G

I'm happy to report that I ended up putting in a 4850, and the system seems to be running fine. I haven't tried a game that relies heavily on the GPU, so perhaps my PC will crash in the middle of playing a game... that's my next test. :)

Thanks heaps for the recommendations, though. If this plays up on me, I'll downgrade to the 4670.

The Dell power supply is a quality unit made by Delta. I doubt if you'll have any problems with it. As with any prebuilt system it has pretty poor cooling, download a hardware monitor and keep an eye on your temperatures, they'll more likely cause you problems then the power supply.

G

dirtmountain, the card came with some temperature monitoring software. What's a good temperature to set an alarm for? I'm pretty ignorant in this area. So, at what temperature should I start to get worried?

Thanks again

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Not a stretch by any means, it has 30amps which is the recommended minimum.

375w continious watts @ 30amps