Failed Overclock

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
My system specs is as follows:
XFX 630i/GeForce 7100 mobo(mATX)
Intel's C2D E7200@2.53 GHz (266.5x9.5)
2GB Transcend DDR2 ram 667 MHz.
500GB Seagate ST3500620AS(not so sure about the number)
HPdvd1035 drive
450W PSU that came with the case.
Intel's stock heatsink and fan.

I'm a complete noob at overclocking. I liked the idea of overclocking and thought I'd try it out to see how well it worked. I went into my bios and saw that my fsb was at 1066MHz(quad-pumped). Though the muliplioer showed 9 CPU-Z showed 9.5. I just wanted to overclock, try it out and go back to my original settings because I dont have proper cooling. I first increased my fsb to 1280(320x4). My comp booted perfectly and everything was fine. My cpu's new speed was 3.04GHz. It was running hotter than before. I checked it and rebooted my comp. I was quite happy that it worked, so I tried it a bit further. This time increased th fsb to 1400-something MHz, forgot exactly what. This time it did not boot. So I reset the bios using the jumper and it worked. I know I should have left it, but curiosity got the better of me and i tried again after a few days. This tie just to be sure, I tried 3GHz and it worked. Now I set my fsb to 1440 and the same thing hapened, wouldn't boot. So I tried to reset the bios using the jumper, didn't work, removed battery, didnt work. Kept the jumper reset overnight , didnt work. Some month back, the same thing used to happen, that time i had never overclocked. My comp mechanic had said that something might be wrong with my ram. Other components are working absolutely fine. So, now I'm wondering if it's the overclock or the ram...Please Help!

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If you want to check your ram, check your ram sticks one at a time...take all of them out and check each one in the motherboard...
It would be easiest if you had another system you could swap the ram in to check and if it isn't it most likely will be that your motherboard is dead...

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

I just have one ram stick. How likely is it that my mobo is dead? How often does this happen? Can you explain in a bit more detail? Post a link..

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have seen some boards when you choose the "auto" setting for overclocking that the board applies the amount of voltage it thinks is appropriate... and I'm pretty sure some boards are willing to give a lethal (or at the very least excessive) dose of voltage to either a CPU or RAM.

I can only think of two things that'll kill a computer during overclocking... heat and voltage. You said yourself that your temps were higher after you first OC and yet you pushed harder... did you do any sort of stress testing on your system before going past 3.04?

If memory was bad I'm pretty sure you'd get some sort of beep error code.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Your motherboard is only dead if you increased voltage in the BIOS same thing with the ram and even the CPU (but it's most likely not the CPU)
If you just higher the clocks or frequencies without changing any voltage it shouldn't fry anything and things should work after a CMOS reset...
But since you said you tried that, and you also mentioned that similar things happened before it probably could have been bad ram and then it broke when you hired the frequencies...
Here is a boot problem checklist http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
And here's a nice and long (lol) C2D overclocking guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide
Hope this helps... post if you have questions... ;)

Arunabha42

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Thanks a lot! I didn't touch the voltages. I tried out one more thing- took out the ram and switched on. No beep sound. I didnt keep my system on for long because of the temps and switched it off very quickly. My only intention was to try it out.