Phenom 2 out now !

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
well tbh i would wait for a bit, make sure theres no bugs i.e. phenom 9500 got revamped to 9550 b3 steppin. but thats just my opinion i personaly would wait.

but there out! lol thats the main thing.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
920 = £156 in US, £27 / $40 more expensive for UK
940 = £182 in US, £31 / $47 more expensive for UK

Thats not bad!! Some combo / barebones from Ebuyer or someone and us Brits might actually get a decent price for once.

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
fair enough with the config there :p. hopefuly ebuyer will become more competitive as they normaly are lower prices with cpus then ocuk. but time will tell. im suprised the phenom family hasent dropped in price yet. amd really are holding high hopes for the phenom 2's :S

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

It makes me wonder why Toms reviewed the new AMD chips and kept reffering back to the Q6600. :??:

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
well my worst fear has been realized. I'm going all Intel next build. It is not competitive against the Q9XX0 series. So I'm going to build an i7 computer.

Zenthar

Distinguished
ADM still didn't get the crown, but I think they became much wiser in their pricing given their situation.
■Q9550 = 315$
■Q9450 = ???$ (being phased-out for the Q9400, not even on newegg anymore)
■Phenom II 940 = 275$
■Q9400 = 270$
■Q6600 = 190$
Intel is gradually pulling the plug on the Q6600 because, for it's price, it competes with it's newer Q9XXXs. Doing so they push people toward the Q9XXXs. Given the ~20% difference in price with the Q9550, a 10-15% performance difference is still a reasonable $/performance trade-off.

It wouldn't be worth it to change from a P35/P45 board that support the Q9XXXs, but if you have to change board to have a quad and aren't a hardcore performance addict, then I think the Phenom 2 is a great option.

One thing I would like to know is how far the 920/940 can be OCed, the 940 being a BE should have an unlocked multiplier, right? Moreover, how big of an impact the AM3 socket will have? I think overall many things are still unknown, but I'm glad AMD is trying hard ... that is how they started after all :).

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
It's a big Improvement for AMD.
It will give a more legitimate option for those who don't want Intel.
It will also keep Intel a little honest on it's pricing, especially on the lower end Quads.

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
@JeanLuc what? i wasent refering back to the q6600?

well the main advantage amd have going for them atm is the compatibility with the am2+ mobos whitch support the phenom 2's while the i7 you would have to get a new mobo + ram for the upgrade, its a cheaper alt, but if it holds up. time will tell with gamer benchies and real world testin. but for now it looks like a cheaper upgrade then intels offering.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm resigned to the fact that AMD will probably NEVER again capture the overall performance crown from Intel BUT I'll trade the performance crown for $738 bucks any day of the week (current NewEgg Prices of both top of the line processors). It matters not to me if my buddy's rig is 20 percent faster if I can afford to trick out the rest of my rig and have enough left over for a real life. Well done AMD, well done!!!

I'll give them time to work out the kinds with the mobo manu's and around June I'll build my first total rebuild in 6 years with AMD's then current flagship. I don't measure my worth by my 3Dmark score.

Da Worfster

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
well also what you have to think of is the ddr3 controller will work better with the ddr3 memory ( ofc lol ) but as the 790fx dont support ddr3 atm you wont get full performance out of the 2's until amd bring out the am3 socket mobos whitch will be ddr3 enabled. but i think amds got some am3 socket cpus in mind later on that will only work with the new am3 mobs. dont hold me to it ive only saw ppl talkin about it on some reviews but it does seem fesable..

As i've suspected, Phenon II matches against the QX9000 series of CPU at a competitive price. I'm seeing close to a 20% edge to i7 in actual gaming, for a price premium of around an extra $200, which is far less then a GPU upgrade for the same exact boost. Whats funny is its the cost of the Mobo's which drives the price of the i7 platform up,

Phenom II will do really well for budget gaming PC's, but for those who want bang for the buck, its clear i7 has the price/performance lead.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
after reading the reviews, you cant help but suspect that amd is not targeting to capture the portion of the market it lost to intel with this release. its mainly a reassurance that those x2 users will have a phenom2 instead.

not a bad upgrade option for those with athlonx2's, imo.

sandeepb

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I think the prices atm are very bad for AMD.

I was hoping the US Price -> £180 for the 920 to be in the UK.

Would anyone want to ship the item to UK to me?

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Yeah already ordered mine from Tigerdirect this morning, should have it tommorrow to run through the paces. It's a great upgrade for an AM2+ board w/9950, and can tide me over till the fall when i7 mb prices might be, you know realistic, as opposed to "bend over".

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
thats the only real disadvantage that intel have atm to amd is the fact that amd have made there new cpus backwards compatible to a certain degree this does throw a spanner in the works in the terms of price v performance.

you cant look at intel v amd as cpu v cpu price wise since with the intel u have to have a x58 and you have to have ddr3. with amd its a case of.. no you dont u can do if u want to but there not forcing you to.

im no way a fan boy of amd ive had amd systems dont get me wrong i just sold my 9550 in favor of a e7300 setup so i float between the two..

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

No, you don't need x58 or DD3.

The Current Phenom II CPUs are still not faster than the Q9xxx Series CPUs Clock for Clock and will run at least at the same clock.

For new builds there is really a small Window of prices it may make sense for custom builds.

The Q6600 is cheaper and about the same and cheaper though the Phenom II will OC slightly better.
The Q9xxx series is faster and not much more expensive if at all.

The i7 price difference is really dropping as well and for an extra $150 or so you can come away with a very large upgrade.

Well there's the rub. If $150 is 8%-10% of the new-build price, it seems foolish not to go for the added performance that buys. If it is 25%-30% of the price, however, it is more likely to bust someone's budget. They may want it (i7), but simply not have the choice.

dtombb

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
yes idealy id still stick/go with the 775 sockets since i dont se the upgrade as enou performance % to make me go wow i want one. tbh i will get one once the price goes down yes the 775 is the cheaper and more effective buy atm.

but this is phenom 2 v i7 and the price v performance of these 2. but i se yuor point and idealy it is 775 v phenom 2. but how it stands is i7 v phenom 2.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Look if your building a new system intels Q9550 is all you
need to beat AMD's best, and what's good about that is both
systems cost about the same.
Phenom II is a good upgrade chip just like the Q9550 is
good upgrade chip for anyone with a p35 or later MB from
the Q6600.
Now if you want more then these two system can offer
then intels the only game in town.