Strange issue resolved, but returned in 24 hours!

shaves1303

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
If anyone can find out the problem here, please help! I built this system with a friend (he picked components, so no griping at me :p ) nearly a year and a half ago for my brother, and he's never had a problem with it until now. It wasn't for gaming or anything, just to get him by. Here are the specs as best as I can remember them..

Intel Core Duo 2.40 GhZ (don't know the revision..)
Abit IB9 mobo
GeForce 7600GS
2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix
500W Antec PSW
Seagate 250GB

After the first few attempted boots, the video would stop working. But when the video happened to initialize the first few times, it said "BIOS ROM checksum error". So I figured the only thing to fix that would be a reflash, but since the video stopped working, I couldn't even do that. Keep in mind the PC speaker is making no noise whatsoever. So I got to diagnosing.. I tried a different PSW, one that was known to work, same issue, no video, no sounds. I tried the video card from my own system, an 8800 GTS, same issue, no video, no sounds. Cleared the CMOS more than once, that didn't change anything. I read somewhere to try booting it with only one stick of RAM, so I pulled out the second channel, got a single short beep that the POST was good, and it continued to boot. For my own piece of mind, I put the second channel stick into the first slot by itself, and got long beeps separated by a few seconds. Okay, bad memory. So to summarize..

- Both sticks in, no video, no noise.
- Suspected bad stick only - memory error beeps.
- Suspected good stick only - no problems.

When everything was working fine, I reflashed the BIOS to the latest update on Abit's website. So I gave the system back to my brother with the suspected good memory stick. He went home, it booted fine, and he shut it down for the night. But this morning, the no video issue is back. I forgot to ask if it's beeping at all.. If it's another memory error, it's possible that the other stick went bad as well.. but it's a little weird that they would have both went bad so close together. I need some suggestions.. is the mobo killing the RAM? In that case, replacing the mobo it is the only solution. The only thing I didn't try was replacing his RAM with the sticks in my own computer, which are also Crucial Ballistix, and have been installed without error since before his system was even built. But if his mobo is killing RAM all of a sudden, I'm not going to risk my stuff. What do you think?

shaves1303

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.. but do it on my system instead. All the caps looked good when I looked.. I've had that problem with another board, so I know what bad caps look like. I don't want to replace the board. lol

TRENDING THREADS