Sign in with
Your question

SSD Problems, NEED HELP!

Last response: in Windows 7
September 8, 2011 2:58:39 PM

Hi,

I have a 60GB SSD running Windows 7 and a few other programs. I recently installed another 8GB of identical RAM to up my total to 16GB. Before installing this my drive was measuring 16GB of FREE space. However after the extra 8GB installation it's highlighted in red now and tells me I only have 2GB left of free space.

Why is this?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

More about : ssd problems

September 8, 2011 3:10:41 PM

Strange..

Have you opened up the C: drive and just explored it? Maybe sort files from newest to oldest and see what is actually on the drive. Delete what you find to be unnecessary.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 3:13:40 PM

I would take out the extra ram you just got and see what happens when start up the pc.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2011 3:18:55 PM

swapfile ?
m
l
September 8, 2011 3:21:28 PM

pacooke01 said:
Hi,

I have a 60GB SSD running Windows 7 and a few other programs. I recently installed another 8GB of identical RAM to up my total to 16GB. Before installing this my drive was measuring 16GB of FREE space. However after the extra 8GB installation it's highlighted in red now and tells me I only have 2GB left of free space.

Why is this?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

It's the ram. As you add more, the pagefile increases. Here is a link describing it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/understand...

It's talking about Windows Vista however, the same applies to Windows 7. Hope this helps.
m
l
September 8, 2011 3:22:00 PM

i´m sure if you pull out the 8 gb again you have same amount space free again +- some kb :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 3:49:19 PM

swap file indeed, with 16gb i think your safe to turn it off, unless your running apps which require a swapfile or reduce this down to 4gb
m
l
September 8, 2011 4:02:09 PM

As to not confuse you pacooke01, swap file and page file is the same thing. Fowang is correct though. You can turn it off or reduce it. I'd personally just reduce it, in case you do have something running that wants to access the page file. The link I posted has directions to changing the size. Also, this link is for Microsofts website with directions on any version of Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change...

I believe we can close this thread now and mark it as solved.
m
l
September 8, 2011 4:14:21 PM

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
September 8, 2011 4:30:50 PM

It could also be the hibernation file if not disabled, from memory it takes the same amount of space as you have RAM.
m
l
September 8, 2011 5:46:26 PM

Thanks for that software, just used it any my page file is 16GB! I'm guessing I should use that option mentioned earlier to reduce it?
m
l
September 8, 2011 5:52:19 PM

yeah i would.. to be honest.. if you have enough RAM, i would shrink that page file or get rid of it all together.
m
l
September 8, 2011 5:52:31 PM

Yes, you should reduce the page file (or buy a larger SSD!).
m
l
September 8, 2011 5:54:34 PM

What would you recommend me to resize it to? I mainly use just games and occasionally Photoshop. Can my secondary drive take this page file instead of the boot drive?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 6:01:18 PM

When you have a small amount of ram Windows compensates for that by having a page or swap file , with 16 gb of ram you are at the point where you might not need a page file . But if you still want to feep one put it down to 1024 MB and you will be fine. You can also put the page file where ever you want.
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:01:39 PM

With 16GB of you can just reduce the pagefile. Someone in an earlier post recommended setting it to 4GB. That should be enough to cover any applications that want to use pagefile. Most applications are going to jump in your RAM anyway. You can also move the pagefile to another drive.

Follow these instructions if that's the route you want to go instead.

http://superuser.com/questions/237813/how-can-i-move-th...
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:03:29 PM

Ah ok so I can just have my 16GB page file on my 200GB secondary drive and it'll still be ok?
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:03:33 PM

With 16GB you probably don't need any pagefile at all (even at 8GB it is doubtful you will need it), just set it to a fixed "symbolic" 1024MB as I remember some applications just crashing if you had none (even with plenty of spare space).
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:11:36 PM

Windows resized your swap and hibernate files to accommodate your additional RAM.
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:16:54 PM

pacooke01 said:
Ah ok so I can just have my 16GB page file on my 200GB secondary drive and it'll still be ok?

You can do that or resize it as Zenthar has said. You shouldn't need more than 1024 MB (1GB). You do want to keep SOME as some applications get fussy if there isn't a pagefile to load into.
m
l
September 8, 2011 8:19:30 PM

Great thanks for all the help! After removing hibernation and some other bits and bobs I've got 30gb+ free now, with 1gb of pagefile! Thanks again.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:36:19 PM

Hi again....

Right I've just come to my computer, and it's crashed, giving me the blue screen. Restarted into BIOS and the SSD drive is not not recognised by BIOS. Any idea what might be cuasing this? ALso my PC freezes now when trying to get into BIOS....

Please help.
Thanks,
Peter
m
l
September 10, 2011 12:32:39 AM

Can you give us your complete system spec, it might help us a bit.
m
l
September 10, 2011 1:18:06 AM

When you added the 8GB, did you change ANY of the memory settings?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 4:30:07 AM

Prior to Windows 7 the default paging file size was determined differently on different versions of Windows.
U can only benefit from it. Its not used in the same way, like XP system.

Leave 5GigsRAM, especially when u have lots of going on at the same time. Sure, u can get away with no page file at all with all the RAM u have, but u have greater stability and more room for trouble shooting.

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

From Microsoft:
"Page file size equal to RAM: Prior to Windows 7 the default paging file size was determined differently on different versions of Windows. But in general terms, when the paging file size was configured as :system-managed: its size would typically be calculated as RAM x (some number greater than 1) or RAM + (some number).
In Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 the default size is equal to the amount of memory installed in the machine. Your gut reaction to this is probably the same as mine was to get a successful complete memory dump the paging file needs to be a little larger than RAM. How much larger probably goes back to what version of Windows you are running and other factors, but 300 MB is generally considered plenty of padding for the purposes of getting a complete dump.
Not to worry. A default installation of Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 is configured to generate a kernel memory dump and also with a system-managed paging file size. So a paging file equal to RAM is plenty. If you decide that you want to capture a complete memory dump, simply change the dump option to “Complete memory dump” and restart (be sure to leave the paging file size as system-managed). After the restart the paging file should be RAM + 300 MB. This applies to both client and server SKUs."
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 4:34:58 AM

Want more space than get 1 more SSD Vertex2 is about $100 and separate system files from programs and Documents. That save's u from lose of data.

or reduce the size of System restore reserve (I would turn-it off on SSD and do a back up.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!