For the love of Jeebus HELP!!!!!! HELP! Brand new GA-EP45-DS3P won't b

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
PC run fine with a 500w PSU for about a week, then the PSU blew, got another one (800w) the next day.

The CPU is a 2 Quad Core 9300.

Mobo won't start (GA-EP45-DS3P).

HELP!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
make sure you flip the switch on the back of the power supply. Does the power supply come on when you press the on button? If not, you may have the power button pins backwards on the motherboard.

bilbat

Splendid
make sure you flip the switch on the back of the power supply. Does the power supply come on when you press the on button? If not, you may have the power button pins backwards on the motherboard.
The power button is an SPST pushbutton - just how, do you suppose, it might have a 'polarity'???

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I don't know what you are saying, but when you switch the positive and negative end of the wire around, the system won't boot. How do I know? I did the same thing to my board. Once I got the positive and negative on the right pins, the computer turned on.

billbat is correct. There is no polarity to a power switch; it applies to LEDs only.

bilbat

Splendid
True, but insignificant - idiot aside, here's what you need to do:

You will need a large, empty table for a temporary work-space.

Take the MOBO out of the case; place it on a non-conductive surface (the box it came in is ideal - do not use the foam sheet [slightly conductive] or the bag [fully conductive] which are for static dissipation). While you have it out, flip it over and verify that your Fan/HS retaining pins are all fully seated.

Plug in:
your keyboard;
one stick of RAM in slot 0;
the video card in the first PCIe slot, counting from the top (end with the rear panel connectors);
the monitor into the video card (don't forget to turn the monitor on), in the top (away from the MOBO) connector if it has two;
a speaker/piezo into the 'speaker' header ot the front panel connector bank (polarity doesn't matter);
if you can (otherwise instructions follow...) the power switch from the case (and, once again - polarity doesn't matter);
ALL power (turn the PSU rear switch OFF first) connectors required by your setup:
the 2x4 at the top,
the 24 or 20+4 (depending on your PSU) at the side,
the 6x or 8x on your video card.

Now, take a deep breath, and sit down for a minute. When calm, turn the PSU switch on, and depress the power switch (or, if you couldn't manage to connect it, short the "PWR_SW header pins in the front panel connector bank, for a second or two with a small flat-bladed screwdriver)...

One of three things will happen:

Nothing - in this case, turn the PSU switch back off, and switch the RAM for a different stick; flip the switch back on, and repeat the startup procedure (switch or pins); if still nothing, RMA your MOBO - still possible that the CPU is toasted, but, due to the apparent cause, much less likely...

Beeps - in this case, note the beep pattern/count; diagnostic info is, I believe, on page 106 of your manual, or post back...

Video - HURRAY! You/we can get into the BIOS and figure out the problem...

An aside:
Do you have access to another comp? (well, obviously, as you're posting, duh) I mention it because the next step (assuming video) will require a download, and burning an ISO file to a bootable CD - you might want to start making arrangements in advance...