Sign in with
Your question

Using HDTV as 1080p Monitor, display issues.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2008 1:37:46 AM

Hi, Im using a Sony bravia rear projection LCD TV Model number KDF-46e3000 as my pc monitor for 1080P PC gaming. I am connecting to a PC with a Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 using the ATI DVI to HDMI dongle and an HDMI cord.

The manual is extremely misleading in its PC output section.. essentially useless, so...

I have looked online for the information about connecting the TV to a pc and from what I can tell it "should" be able to support 1080P @ 60hertz. Now, when I mess with the HD 3870 display settings it does not show that the monitor can support anything above 1080P @ 24hz. When I force the display to 1080P @ 50hz the screen fits, but many programs do not support this refresh rate, when the tv is forced to 1080P @ 60hz the picture displayed is to large for the tv, causing the edges to not be displayed.

When I use the ATI HDTV adjustment option it simply lowers the resolution to make it fit, does this indicate the tv cannot support 1080P 60hz, or is something else causing the problem?

When I used an Nvidia system and their automatic HDTV adjustment it made the image fit within the screen, but I am quite certain it also simply changes the resolution. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know what is causing the issue? It cant be possibly be the graphics card can it? This card should have no trouble supporting resolutions even above 1080p correct? and it cant be the ATI HDMi adapter can it? I have also tried a DVI to HDMI cord to no avail.

Thanks, pls help!
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2008 9:21:27 AM

This page states (under Specifications / Input and Outputs)

Quote:
1080/24p Input Capable : Yes (via HDMI™)

That tells me it will not support 1080p @ 60hz

-Wolf sends
November 11, 2008 2:51:31 PM

rear projection = bleeeuuurrgghhh :( 
November 11, 2008 2:55:50 PM

sorry, but the only resolution I know that supports my TV is (rubbish) 1024x768 @ 60Hz my TV is 720p though, maybe you should connect via VGA or sumthing :S ?
!