Correct clock settings needed

danieltumba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
So, I put together a new computer, and I realized that a lot of the default settings were way off from advertised.

I read on numerous threads to adjust this voltage here, latency settings here, and CPU voltage, there... However, after my first attempt at fixing my RAM speeds, I've decided to ask your advice, so I don't accidentally blow up my computer!

First, my specs:

ASUS Sabertooth 55i LGA 1156 p55
Core i5-750 Lynnfield
Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Mushkin Enh. Blackline 4GB (2x2gb) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel X25 80GB SSD SATA
Zalman 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Antec TruePower 750W
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel Case
Windows 7 Pro.

Second, my issues:

- My RAM defaulted to 9-9-9-24, and was advertised at 7-7-7-20.
- I adjusted these settings, and I also adjusted the default voltage from 1.53 to 1.85.
- However, I got nervous when I did this, because the adjust was flagged in red in BIOS.
- When I ran CPUz, I saw that my DRAM Frequency was at 668.8 MHz. Is this right?
- I saw on an Anandtech post about the i5-750, and the CPUz screenshot showed the Core Voltage at 1.20. Mine is .896.

-------------------------------------------

There are simply a lot of options in BIOS and I don't want to do anything stupid.

I'm not looking to do any crazy overclocking, but I would really appreciate it if any of you could help me with correcting my settings so my computer runs the way it should.

Much appreciated,

Daniel

danieltumba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Two things:

1) ----

I just received a response from Mushkin, and they said:

The 996657 kit is designed to work on Intel 775 and AM3 platforms, the voltage required to operate this kit at rated timings and frequencies is beyond the maximum memory voltage of 1.65V imposed by Intel for the i5/i7 platforms.

As you want plug and play, I strongly suggest that you return the kit to place of purchase for a kit designed to work with i5/i7 such as 996805 or 996782

2) ----

I've read that i5/i7 have the memory controller integrated into the CPU, and therefore one should have their RAM voltages within .45V of the CPU. Also, I've that you can damage the memory controller if you use it at voltages above 1.65V.

In CPU-z, my Core Voltage under CPU is .880 V (give or take a little)..

Damnit, I read a lot of reviews on this RAM and it was often coupled with an i5/i7 system. Should I return the current RAM and purchase a new set with lower voltage requirements?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Some people may indeed be running this memory on an i5 or i7, but that does not mean that it is right, or the best thing to do. If the memory requires voltage above normal to operate at it's advertised specs, in my opinion it is memory of an inferior quality. I always, always suggest to people the 2 most important things to consider when buying memory is latencies, and voltage. Upping the voltage is the easiest way to get memory to run faster. If you buy memory that has both comparatively tight or low latencies, and runs at lower or at least standard voltages, then you have found some quality memory.
I always warn people about Corsair. If you look, Corsair memory needs the highest voltages of any memory on the market. To me, that means they are passing on less than quality parts, and usually at a premium price!

So, based on all that, yes send it back and get something else if they are offering you the choice.

danieltumba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Will do.

I'm looking at G. Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2) DDR3 1600. The voltage here is shown at 1.65V. If I look at the 1.5V kits, I end up seeing
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279

On a related note, when I first installed the system, my Windows Index showed a 7.1, with Graphics / 3D topping at 7.8.

After updating the BIOS, Windows had me re-run the Index, and my GPU indexes dropped to 6.0. It seems that CPU-Z also shows my GPU running at below advertised specs.

Thanks,

Daniel

danieltumba

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
My message got cut off. And I can't edit from work, stupid IE is blocking the submit button.

The 1.5V kits I see are 9-9-9-24 or worse. Unfortunately, I can't spend 300 bucks getting lowest voltage with best latency. .