What is the Most Expensive PC that we could Build?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I was bored and I was trying to think how much you could realistically spend on a New Computer if Money was no object. (Let's Say you are Warren Buffet's Only Child :>)

The Point would be to build a truly uber gaming system.
So no buying some part because its expensive, it would need to be the best part for the job.

The 1st thing that comes to mind is a Liquid Nitrogen Ocing System.
I looked but could not seem to find where to buy this or find prices.

For the Disk Subsytem1 , I'm thinking Top End Striped RAM Disks. (Great for R/W functions)
We would also want some high-end SSDs for Stuff that will not involve lots of writes.

For the Boot System, Some 15K SAS Drives and a nice controller.

This is of course is a mindless exercise unless Warren or Bill's kid happens to be reading.
The rest of us would never build a 20K-30K gaming system :>>

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
you could technically spend an infinite amount of money on a computer. buy like 8 SSDs, an eATX board plus 2xQX9775 and 4 4870x2's, throw in several liquid cooling systems, 32GB of ram, (FBDIMMs of course), a high-end sound card, 2 1800W power supplies, a case made of pure platinum, a couple blu-ray burners and some crazy LED lighting system. and with all those video cards, why not throw in a couple of 30" monitors?

raptor3x

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
If you limit yourself to what will fit into an ATX case then there is probably some limit around 20K discount making the case of precious metals and gems. If you start thinking in terms of rackmount computers however, there is no real limit. I'm currently sitting about 8 feet away from ~$500k worth of computers, and this is not even the biggest cluster in the building.

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Are we still talking a personal computer that fits in an ATX case or some super mainframe computer like the one used in the earth simulator?

Someone linked to that $20k computer, I can do better than that. 24" monitor? BAH id get a custom 3840x2400 40" LCD monitor. I am not even sure any are out, but hey if money was "no object" im sure you could persue your favoriate company to custom hand make one just for you.

There are truly giant LCD TV's out there costing $50,000 and upwards. Some of them have resolutions of 3840x2160, I heard of a such 56" that costs nearly $50,000! Youd need some special video card to drive that monitor.

As for SSD hard drives, my cousin knows of some very fast ones not yet commercially available that cost over $100 a gigabyte. 128 gigs could be $15000! He says youll be able to boot and load windows in less than a second. Any program would load almost instantly. It's many times faster than 10k RPM HDDs.

I bet I could probably design a $100,000 computer fitting in an ATX case(you can fit phase change cooling in a large case) that doesn't even include the monitor!

But realistically, even for someone that won the lottery, $5000 honestly will get you your dream computer including a 42" 1080p LCD monitor/TV.