Phenom 2 on AM2 a good idea or not so?

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I'm thinking of upgrading my aging X2 6000+, bought a new mobo last year but it's AM2. Wasn't that cheap, paid around $70 for it, probably could've gotten AM2+ at the same time for same amount, but it never really crossed my mind. From what I heard is basically do it at your own risk type situation, or either BIOS has to be updated. All the Phenom 2 reviews even got me going to BIOSTAR web site, checking for BIOS update, but there isn't a single mention about anything particular related to AM+. Oh well I guess some AM2 owners are not as lucky as others.

Should I suck it up and just wait for AM3? Does any one has same experience with past Phenoms, not really sure what's the difference between AM2+ and AM2, but surely wouldn't want to make my system more crippled than it is already is. Vista gives me enough troubles, was thinking that it might speed things up a bit. I like to make some cross atlantic trips on Flight Simulator X, and from what I heard it is mainly CPU dependent, thats where I hope to benefit from Phenom 2, althought haven't seen FSX/Phenom2 benches so far.

trainreks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
If you are planing on purcasing a new system , you are better off going with an i7. It pains me to say this as I am ordering a Phenom II, but I have the hardware that only requires me to get a CPU. AM3 you would need cpu, MB , and ram. Unless you stick the AM3 into an AM2+.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing. I will be building a new system soon, but it is not pressing. I'm interested in the AM3 chipset, but I guess I will just have to wait to see how the total price compares to that of the i7. It is nice to see that the AMD chipsets use less power than the Intels however.

Is the expected release date for the 945 and AM3 chipset still aiming for a April release?

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
i have the 790gx and its been fine so far. OCed my 5400 BE to 3.2 no problem. probably gonna upgrade to a phenom 2 soon so we'll see how it handles that.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

this is great!! my mobo is on the list!!! lol...now i just have to play the waiting game so that prices drop....

As long as there is a BIOS update for your board to support the Phenom II you should be fine. I will help your Vista experience somewhat, assuming you aren't limited on RAM of course. As far as overall gaming performance though it doesn't look to be too much of an improvement. If you can wait, then wait for the AM3 CPUs as you should be able to use them in your AM2 board instead of having to get a new board and memory right away.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I don't think too many AM2 boards will support Phenom II because of voltage issues. AM2+ should be no problem but always check the manufacturer CPU support list.

My wife's ASUS M2A-VM 690G does not support Phenom II, but does support the 8750 in mine, so she'll get an upgrade from her X2 4600+ when I get the Phenom II 920 for my GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0). I'll just have to flash both bios, but that's no problem.

Anyone who's building a new system or doesn't mind DDR3 should wait for the 880G chipset and Phenom II's that support AM3.

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
I'm an owner of a Phenom 1 9550, I had it installed on an old AM2 mobo, the Asrock AM2NF3 Nforce 3, and run without a glitch despite the lack of support by nvidia for the AGP bridge driver.

Then I upgraded my motherboard to an AM2+ Nforce 730 (ECS GF8200) and I didn't experienced any performance gain despite the HT increase from 1.0 to 3.0. But I have to admit I liked the change due to Nforce performance (this is my 7th nforce system, I had each and every AMD Nforce since Nforce 1.

AM2 mobos are ultracheap, just check manufacturer site to see if an upgrade bios is available. You may need to update bios before installing the Phenom 2.

Today, the old Asrock AM2NF3 I mentioned does support "AM3 CPU"... but not those with 125 watt TDP

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
A BIOS update is required for full support; that much you know. If there exists a BIOS upgrade with Phenom II support, it'll be on the manufacturer's site and explicitly state such support. If there isn't, I wouldn't count on future support for a $70 year-old board. But you could experiment. It might run as a generic/undetected CPU. Before loading Windows or anything major, check voltages in BIOS and nudge settings toward stock specifications.

Anyone who's building a new system or doesn't mind DDR3 should wait for the 880G chipset and Phenom II's that support AM3 and then get a cheap quad or the i7 after the price war begins.
Clarified.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
it depends on it if your manufacurer released a compatible bios.
tell us what your model you have and from which manufacturer and so we can look if its capable. If you have either asus or gigabyte there is a good chance it will support it. When its asus it will be almost certain. if it has been made by a manufacturer who just isn't to well known for updating like foxconn or jetway or abit the chance is high it wont support any new cpu's because they didn't updated the bios ever since. but still foxconns newer 690V chipset version supports AM2+ but older models might pose a problem.
this is due the fact some manucaturers dont like it if you dont always buy a new motherboard when you want to install a newer gen cpu and so they cut the bios support. Personaly i feel like i have to boycott them by not buying there products because i would harm my own upgradebility

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Mine rocks, im only limited by my chips stepping. Gief P2 tbh so i can really test that claim though :D

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
seems like it's not worth the effort (and $$$) to get a new cpu at this point. if it involves putting a new mobo in, i'd rather get i7 when the whole set up will be more affordable

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Not so with me. I can flash the bios on my wife's ASUS 690G and move the 8750 over once I flash the bios on mine for a Phenom 2. I'll decide what to order on the 15th. My luck the 940 won't be in stock.

Then again, the 880G looks really good, and it makes getting a new motherboard worth it. I just don't think DDR3 is all that compelling right now.

i7 won't be affordable for some time, but i5 with budget boards will be. I just prefer AMD chipsets and ATI cards, so I don't go Intel.

I also have the biostar 790gx board and have oc'ed my 9850 to 3.2 ghz. For a budget board it has nice oc capabilities. I am waiting for prices to stabilize, then I will prolly drop a 940 Black in. 3.9ghz, here I come!

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Instead of buying a new cpu,mobo, and memory, which would coust somewhere north of 650 dollars, id just spend 100 bucks get a asus or gigabyte 790gx board, and call it a day. Its a win/winn situation, now u have a am+board and cpu and you can put the other in an extra case or something(we're geeks we all have extra cases lying around,lol)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Listen people, Phenom 2 works fine on AM2 mobos.

THG's front page article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-940,2114.html

You sent me a PM saying I was misinformed, and this is what I PM'd back, with typo's corrected and new text in brackets.

I wouldn't say that I'm misinformed. I'm cautious, and I said check the manufacturer's support list. This list at Techarena forums for Gigabyte boards, for example, only mentions AM2+ boards.

http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/1079353.htm

The issue isn't AM2+, it's AM2. AM2+ should be fine with the right bios. I'm not sure that ECS, Jetway and other manufacturer's will update all their AM2+ boards for Phenom II like Gigabyte. [I'm not sure that Gigabyte and ASUS will update all their AM2 boards either].

We have an ASUS M2A-VM 690G as well as my Gigabyte 780G board. ASUS gradually improved the support of that board with new bios releases. It now accepts up to the Phenom 9850. I expect it will later accept a Phenom II, but it doesn't yet.

Whether cheaper AM2+ boards will support Phenom II is up in the air. Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI are better companies and are rolling out support, but there are many boards out there like the ECS boards given away with CPU's at Fry's that I'd be surprised if they did.

If I'd said that AM2 would not, only AM2+, then I'd be misinformed. Perhaps you are just too hopeful? I need to see the support before I'll proclaim it. [There could also be voltage issues on boards that can take 95 watt Phenom's but not 125 watt. That's a board per board issue. Most of ASUS' 780G boards support Phenom II, but some as yet do not.]

At any rate, anyone who wants to use a Phenom II on an unsupported AM2 board is welcome to work with it.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I don't see a quick link to CPU support, but here's the page for Sapphire and it's last bios was July 21st 2008:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

Phenom II, I'd say not. Phenom, maybe B2 like ASUS supported at that time. Nothing newer to say it supports B3's. Really, buy ASUS or Gigabyte, even MSI. That is if you want to see bios support as new CPU's roll out.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
There's a reason why the only boards I've owned once I ditched Netburst and Intel boards have been ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. I have mixed feelings about MSI but thoroughly recommend ASUS and Gigabyte.

I've avoided ECS and Jetway, heard some nice things about Biostar and DFI, but for AMD chipsets it's been ASUS and Gigabyte all the way.