Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom 2 on AM2 a good idea or not so?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 8, 2009 7:39:05 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my aging X2 6000+, bought a new mobo last year but it's AM2. Wasn't that cheap, paid around $70 for it, probably could've gotten AM2+ at the same time for same amount, but it never really crossed my mind. From what I heard is basically do it at your own risk type situation, or either BIOS has to be updated. All the Phenom 2 reviews even got me going to BIOSTAR web site, checking for BIOS update, but there isn't a single mention about anything particular related to AM+. Oh well I guess some AM2 owners are not as lucky as others.

Should I suck it up and just wait for AM3? Does any one has same experience with past Phenoms, not really sure what's the difference between AM2+ and AM2, but surely wouldn't want to make my system more crippled than it is already is. Vista gives me enough troubles, was thinking that it might speed things up a bit. I like to make some cross atlantic trips on Flight Simulator X, and from what I heard it is mainly CPU dependent, thats where I hope to benefit from Phenom 2, althought haven't seen FSX/Phenom2 benches so far.

More about : phenom am2 good idea

January 8, 2009 7:52:29 PM

i would recommend an AM2+ MOBO. Waiting for AM3 is also a possibility.
January 8, 2009 8:00:57 PM

If you are planing on purcasing a new system , you are better off going with an i7. It pains me to say this as I am ordering a Phenom II, but I have the hardware that only requires me to get a CPU. AM3 you would need cpu, MB , and ram. Unless you stick the AM3 into an AM2+.
Related resources
January 8, 2009 8:20:11 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I will be building a new system soon, but it is not pressing. I'm interested in the AM3 chipset, but I guess I will just have to wait to see how the total price compares to that of the i7. It is nice to see that the AMD chipsets use less power than the Intels however.

Is the expected release date for the 945 and AM3 chipset still aiming for a April release?
January 8, 2009 9:30:22 PM

how are biostar MB? never had experience with them. any good for overclocking?
January 8, 2009 9:34:08 PM

i have the 790gx and its been fine so far. OCed my 5400 BE to 3.2 no problem. probably gonna upgrade to a phenom 2 soon so we'll see how it handles that.
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2009 10:41:13 PM

As long as there is a BIOS update for your board to support the Phenom II you should be fine. I will help your Vista experience somewhat, assuming you aren't limited on RAM of course. As far as overall gaming performance though it doesn't look to be too much of an improvement. If you can wait, then wait for the AM3 CPUs as you should be able to use them in your AM2 board instead of having to get a new board and memory right away.
January 9, 2009 12:37:28 AM

I don't think too many AM2 boards will support Phenom II because of voltage issues. AM2+ should be no problem but always check the manufacturer CPU support list.

My wife's ASUS M2A-VM 690G does not support Phenom II, but does support the 8750 in mine, so she'll get an upgrade from her X2 4600+ when I get the Phenom II 920 for my GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0). I'll just have to flash both bios, but that's no problem.

Anyone who's building a new system or doesn't mind DDR3 should wait for the 880G chipset and Phenom II's that support AM3.

January 9, 2009 2:54:57 AM

I'm an owner of a Phenom 1 9550, I had it installed on an old AM2 mobo, the Asrock AM2NF3 Nforce 3, and run without a glitch despite the lack of support by nvidia for the AGP bridge driver.

Then I upgraded my motherboard to an AM2+ Nforce 730 (ECS GF8200) and I didn't experienced any performance gain despite the HT increase from 1.0 to 3.0. But I have to admit I liked the change due to Nforce performance (this is my 7th nforce system, I had each and every AMD Nforce since Nforce 1.

AM2 mobos are ultracheap, just check manufacturer site to see if an upgrade bios is available. You may need to update bios before installing the Phenom 2.

Today, the old Asrock AM2NF3 I mentioned does support "AM3 CPU"... but not those with 125 watt TDP

January 9, 2009 3:00:03 AM

A BIOS update is required for full support; that much you know. If there exists a BIOS upgrade with Phenom II support, it'll be on the manufacturer's site and explicitly state such support. If there isn't, I wouldn't count on future support for a $70 year-old board. But you could experiment. It might run as a generic/undetected CPU. Before loading Windows or anything major, check voltages in BIOS and nudge settings toward stock specifications.

Quote:
Anyone who's building a new system or doesn't mind DDR3 should wait for the 880G chipset and Phenom II's that support AM3 and then get a cheap quad or the i7 after the price war begins.

Clarified.
January 9, 2009 3:21:45 AM

it depends on it if your manufacurer released a compatible bios.
tell us what your model you have and from which manufacturer and so we can look if its capable. If you have either asus or gigabyte there is a good chance it will support it. When its asus it will be almost certain. if it has been made by a manufacturer who just isn't to well known for updating like foxconn or jetway or abit the chance is high it wont support any new cpu's because they didn't updated the bios ever since. but still foxconns newer 690V chipset version supports AM2+ but older models might pose a problem.
this is due the fact some manucaturers dont like it if you dont always buy a new motherboard when you want to install a newer gen cpu and so they cut the bios support. Personaly i feel like i have to boycott them by not buying there products because i would harm my own upgradebility
January 9, 2009 5:48:52 AM

is phenom that phenomenal? POO POO
January 9, 2009 7:12:33 AM

orangedrink said:
how are biostar MB? never had experience with them. any good for overclocking?

Mine rocks, im only limited by my chips stepping. Gief P2 tbh so i can really test that claim though :D 
January 9, 2009 12:08:01 PM

seems like it's not worth the effort (and $$$) to get a new cpu at this point. if it involves putting a new mobo in, i'd rather get i7 when the whole set up will be more affordable
January 9, 2009 1:29:40 PM

Not so with me. I can flash the bios on my wife's ASUS 690G and move the 8750 over once I flash the bios on mine for a Phenom 2. I'll decide what to order on the 15th. My luck the 940 won't be in stock.

Then again, the 880G looks really good, and it makes getting a new motherboard worth it. I just don't think DDR3 is all that compelling right now.

i7 won't be affordable for some time, but i5 with budget boards will be. I just prefer AMD chipsets and ATI cards, so I don't go Intel.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2009 1:48:26 PM

orangedrink said:
how are biostar MB? never had experience with them. any good for overclocking?


I also have the biostar 790gx board and have oc'ed my 9850 to 3.2 ghz. For a budget board it has nice oc capabilities. I am waiting for prices to stabilize, then I will prolly drop a 940 Black in. 3.9ghz, here I come!
January 9, 2009 1:56:33 PM

trainreks said:
If you are planing on purcasing a new system , you are better off going with an i7. It pains me to say this as I am ordering a Phenom II, but I have the hardware that only requires me to get a CPU. AM3 you would need cpu, MB , and ram. Unless you stick the AM3 into an AM2+.
Instead of buying a new cpu,mobo, and memory, which would coust somewhere north of 650 dollars, id just spend 100 bucks get a asus or gigabyte 790gx board, and call it a day. Its a win/winn situation, now u have a am+board and cpu and you can put the other in an extra case or something(we're geeks we all have extra cases lying around,lol)
January 10, 2009 8:30:41 AM

Quote:
Listen people, Phenom 2 works fine on AM2 mobos.

THG's front page article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-940,2114....


You sent me a PM saying I was misinformed, and this is what I PM'd back, with typo's corrected and new text in brackets.

I wouldn't say that I'm misinformed. I'm cautious, and I said check the manufacturer's support list. This list at Techarena forums for Gigabyte boards, for example, only mentions AM2+ boards.

http://forums.techarena.in/motherboard-processor-ram/10...

The issue isn't AM2+, it's AM2. AM2+ should be fine with the right bios. I'm not sure that ECS, Jetway and other manufacturer's will update all their AM2+ boards for Phenom II like Gigabyte. [I'm not sure that Gigabyte and ASUS will update all their AM2 boards either].

We have an ASUS M2A-VM 690G as well as my Gigabyte 780G board. ASUS gradually improved the support of that board with new bios releases. It now accepts up to the Phenom 9850. I expect it will later accept a Phenom II, but it doesn't yet.

Whether cheaper AM2+ boards will support Phenom II is up in the air. Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI are better companies and are rolling out support, but there are many boards out there like the ECS boards given away with CPU's at Fry's that I'd be surprised if they did.

If I'd said that AM2 would not, only AM2+, then I'd be misinformed. Perhaps you are just too hopeful? I need to see the support before I'll proclaim it. [There could also be voltage issues on boards that can take 95 watt Phenom's but not 125 watt. That's a board per board issue. Most of ASUS' 780G boards support Phenom II, but some as yet do not.]

At any rate, anyone who wants to use a Phenom II on an unsupported AM2 board is welcome to work with it.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 10:04:01 AM

sapphire pe-am2rs690mh or magic pro mp-a2am-hd or jetway 692GHG (same board, different colour)

Anyone think this supports Phenom I or II? I think its the reference 690G board so yeah...
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 12:48:22 PM

Ancient poster ... lol
January 10, 2009 2:31:14 PM

amdfangirl said:
sapphire pe-am2rs690mh or magic pro mp-a2am-hd or jetway 692GHG (same board, different colour)

Anyone think this supports Phenom I or II? I think its the reference 690G board so yeah...


I don't see a quick link to CPU support, but here's the page for Sapphire and it's last bios was July 21st 2008:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

Phenom II, I'd say not. Phenom, maybe B2 like ASUS supported at that time. Nothing newer to say it supports B3's. Really, buy ASUS or Gigabyte, even MSI. That is if you want to see bios support as new CPU's roll out.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 8:09:01 PM

Not gonna buy a Phenom to try so...
January 11, 2009 12:59:03 AM

There's a reason why the only boards I've owned once I ditched Netburst and Intel boards have been ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. I have mixed feelings about MSI but thoroughly recommend ASUS and Gigabyte.

I've avoided ECS and Jetway, heard some nice things about Biostar and DFI, but for AMD chipsets it's been ASUS and Gigabyte all the way.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2009 3:28:40 AM

I agree but DFI mobos are rock solid too.

Quite a few here have Jetway stuff but PCChips / ECS are substandard rubbish.
January 11, 2009 7:20:13 AM

Almost every Friday at Fry's, you can find a CPU bundled with an ECS board. I've avoided those. The only bundle I got there instead of ordering from Newegg was an Athlon X2 3800+ with an MSI Nvidia 405 chipset board back in February 2007. We're still using the CPU but replaced the board with an MSI 690V.

My supervisor thinks I'm nuts and that I practically have a server farm. I said "no way, we just have one PC for each of us in the living room, one in the master bedroom and one for modding and graphics."

All we need next is an HTPC!
January 11, 2009 4:27:38 PM

In 2 days I am getting the P2 940 and I am gonna test it on my M2A-VM 690G mobo (there is no bios support yet for P2 so I am hoping it will work unofficially so that I don't have to spend money for an 790gx.

Gigabyte already has a bios update for P2 for their AM2 690G budget motherboard.

From some reviews I have seen, P2 has around 20 Watts lower power consumption than an X2 6000+ on full load that is also rated as 125W. So there is no reason for motherboard makers not to support them with BIOS updates on all AM2 motherboards.
January 11, 2009 6:38:11 PM

dude i dont believe any phenom can run on a am2 board. i believe it has to be am2+. you also dont need a 790gx. i have a 790fx and i know it would work fine.
January 11, 2009 7:41:42 PM

Good luck GNR with getting it to work on your M2A-VM board.

Edited to add: the MSI 690 board you linked to supports Phenom but not Phenom 2. That is like the ASUS M2A-VM. Also, the Gigabyte board's in the same boat. It supports Toliman and Agena AM2+ processors with a correct bios, but no listing of Phenom II at this date.

Now for zipzoomflyhigh.

I keep getting PM's from zipzoomflyhigh that I'm misinformed and he just links to the Tom's review. I asked him to post in the forums and not send PM's arguing about it, but here's my reply:

It drops in but you don't seem to get the difference between motherboard support and socket support. A B2 Phenom would drop into any AM2 socket as well, but most motherboard manufacturers did not support B2 at launch.

I really don't get what you're arguing about. Some AM2 boards will have a new bios, most AM2+ boards will have a new bios. Anyone is welcome to try and get one to work on an unsupported board.

Stop spreading FUD, or if you still want to, then do it on the forums and not in a PM.

Socket support is not an automatic guarantee of motherboard support. Always look at the CPU support list on your board's site and if you want to try to get it working without the right bios, then that's okay too. Enjoy.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2009 5:31:55 AM

yipsl said:
Almost every Friday at Fry's, you can find a CPU bundled with an ECS board. I've avoided those. The only bundle I got there instead of ordering from Newegg was an Athlon X2 3800+ with an MSI Nvidia 405 chipset board back in February 2007. We're still using the CPU but replaced the board with an MSI 690V.

My supervisor thinks I'm nuts and that I practically have a server farm. I said "no way, we just have one PC for each of us in the living room, one in the master bedroom and one for modding and graphics."

All we need next is an HTPC!


Any old PC should run well as a HTPC... don't need to buy a new piece of hardware everytime... add a DTV tuner and a Radeon HD card and volia! a HTPC!

yipsl said:
There's a reason why the only boards I've owned once I ditched Netburst and Intel boards have been ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. I have mixed feelings about MSI but thoroughly recommend ASUS and Gigabyte.

I've avoided ECS and Jetway, heard some nice things about Biostar and DFI, but for AMD chipsets it's been ASUS and Gigabyte all the way.


I've had one MSI and its been very good to me for all the year I've had it (well kinda)
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2009 5:32:00 AM

amd_overclocker said:
dude i dont believe any phenom can run on a am2 board. i believe it has to be am2+. you also dont need a 790gx. i have a 790fx and i know it would work fine.


Phenom + Am2 = maybe works...

It has the same 940 pins arranged similarly so, it should work.

It all depends on the motherboard maker... am2 is pin-compatible with am2+ and am3 btw

Reynod said:
I agree but DFI mobos are rock solid too.

Quite a few here have Jetway stuff but PCChips / ECS are substandard rubbish.


Can't really say anything here... personally I've only ever owned an MSI and a Sapphire.

January 12, 2009 4:33:48 PM

amdfangirl said:

I've had one MSI and its been very good to me for all the year I've had it (well kinda)


I got a barebones with an MSI 405 chipset board in February 2007, and MSI's page for that board said that it didn't accept ATI X300 to X850 series GPU's due to chipset limitations. I contacted MSI tech support asking about the X1600 Pro and they e-mailed me back and said "use Nvidia card in Nvidia motherboard". So I went with a 7600gs.

I switched the CPU to an MSI 690V board so I could buy the MSI factory overclocked 3870x2, and the board worked fine. It got replaced with my current Gigabyte board and new triple core. The 3870x2 died on me after 9 months. So MSI is two strikes out of 3 for me right now.

The 3870x2 is still flaky, so I'm just going to get a Sapphire 4830 to hold me over, or maybe a 4850, this Thursday.
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2009 4:43:43 PM

yipsl said:
I got a barebones with an MSI 405 chipset board in February 2007, and MSI's page for that board said that it didn't accept ATI X300 to X850 series GPU's due to chipset limitations. I contacted MSI tech support asking about the X1600 Pro and they e-mailed me back and said "use Nvidia card in Nvidia motherboard". So I went with a 7600gs.

I switched the CPU to an MSI 690V board so I could buy the MSI factory overclocked 3870x2, and the board worked fine. It got replaced with my current Gigabyte board and new triple core. The 3870x2 died on me after 9 months. So MSI is two strikes out of 3 for me right now.

The 3870x2 is still flaky, so I'm just going to get a Sapphire 4830 to hold me over, or maybe a 4850, this Thursday.



I have had more problems with Saphire than MSI..


I would go for a gigabyte one... Theye better made imho......
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 4:21:18 AM

yipsl said:
I got a barebones with an MSI 405 chipset board in February 2007, and MSI's page for that board said that it didn't accept ATI X300 to X850 series GPU's due to chipset limitations. I contacted MSI tech support asking about the X1600 Pro and they e-mailed me back and said "use Nvidia card in Nvidia motherboard". So I went with a 7600gs.

I switched the CPU to an MSI 690V board so I could buy the MSI factory overclocked 3870x2, and the board worked fine. It got replaced with my current Gigabyte board and new triple core. The 3870x2 died on me after 9 months. So MSI is two strikes out of 3 for me right now.

The 3870x2 is still flaky, so I'm just going to get a Sapphire 4830 to hold me over, or maybe a 4850, this Thursday.


Whoa you do upgrade alot...

I'm still on my 690G and Athlon X2...

hehe...

get the HD 4850... best value right now...
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 4:22:20 AM

Hellboy said:
I have had more problems with Saphire than MSI..


I would go for a gigabyte one... Theye better made imho......


Still no email for tech support... I wanna know if I can stick a Phenom in it when I find them on the floor, discarded.
January 13, 2009 6:00:25 AM

amdfangirl said:
Still no email for tech support... I wanna know if I can stick a Phenom in it when I find them on the floor, discarded.


LOL. If I were single I'd send you my triple cripple. No wait, I couldn't do that. You're under 18. Your parents would misunderstand. :D 

I'm sure you'll be able to find one cheap. Just avoid the B2's like the plague.

Anyway's, I will get a 4850 to hold me over till the fall. It won't be any faster in a game with Crossfire support but it will be in games that don't support Crossfire all that much (like LOTRO).

Yes, we upgraded quite a bit. We had a P4 Northwood and a used E-Machines Celeron I'd bought for $50 from a coworker who bought a new Dell. That was in February 2007.

I got the MSI barebones for $89, put in a better Antec TP 550 PSU and added an Athlon X2 4600+. When I wanted the AMD GPU, I didn't want to try the Nvidia 405 board because of what MSI's tech support told me, so I got a cheap 690V because the 780G's weren't out yet.

Meanwhile, I'd built my wife a 690G with an X2 3800+ to replace the E-Machines. When 780G boards were out, I built one for my 8 year old with an X2 4200+ and another for my two nieces and nephew that was identical. I also upgraded to the triple cripple and the 780G I have today.

I wanted to go a couple of years without new builds, just upgrading the graphics card, but Phenom II is too good to ignore.

Then I don't want to even think about new CPU's or motherboards until Bulldozer. I have a spare MSI K9N 405 chipset board, an E-Machines Celeron and a P4 Northwood that's going to the Goodwill Computer Store (they have one here in Austin) before we move next. Taking up too much room in the closet.



a b à CPUs
January 14, 2009 2:51:10 AM

yipsl said:
LOL. If I were single I'd send you my triple cripple. No wait, I couldn't do that. You're under 18. Your parents would misunderstand. :D 


:cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

How?
January 14, 2009 9:04:53 AM

Sorry lame joke.

I should have said that my wife has first dibs on it. It's almost the best CPU that would fit on her 690G. Only a 9750 or a 9850 would be better.

I know as a parent if someone wanted to send something halfway across the world to my kid, I'd be cautious and my wife would be paranoid.
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2009 9:20:10 AM

Yeah, I know. The last package I got from the Middle East exploded.
January 15, 2009 2:43:22 AM

amdfangirl said:
Yeah, I know. The last package I got from the Middle East exploded.


LOL

Have you gone to social networking sites? You might be able to convince a high school guy in Australia to send you his Phenom once he upgrades.

I felt bad for making that joke. The only woman I even come close to flirting with other than my wife is my sister in law, but neither of them take me seriously (thank God).




a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 5:38:06 AM

My address? On the internet? No way!

I'll rather take some of the chips that goes through HQ.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 8:14:06 AM

@AMDfangirl


Ancient post means the amount of posts over a long amount of time..


What I am saying is that in a short space of time you have accumulated more posts that some one whos posted every day for 6 years

mmmm

wondering why :) 
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 8:24:02 AM

Hey I'm a sugar poster.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 8:28:08 AM

amdfangirl said:
Hey I'm a sugar poster.




Yeah your a chatter box :) 
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 9:23:58 AM

You should've seen me go on an art forum... 10,764 posts so far since 2006 =)
January 15, 2009 9:31:50 AM

It helps when your pithy. Most of the rest of us are prolix.

I didn't mean post your address on Facebook, but make friends with someone in your area close to your own age who upgrades alot. That might sound mercenary (like in the classic Dilbert strip where a girl agrees to go out with him for 3 weeks so he can troubleshoot her tech issues), but it could mean you find someone to be friends with who actually has similar interests.

Most of the guys I hung out with in junior high and high school were into heavy metal and sports, so when I looked for someone who also liked anime and SF, I got to know a girl in my Biology 2 class who was my lab partner. She ended up going to a different college, so I lost touch. But my wife turned out to be alot like her. Frumpy in a cute way, hippie ecologist in a positive way and totally into Japanese traditional culture and anime.

I can't wait till my Gigabyte 4850 gets here Monday or Tuesday. It has better than stock cooling. Won't overclock. I just don't want it to get flaky on me like the 3870x2 did (even after being returned, it works fine under Aero LOL).

Anyone running Vista 64? I ordered 8 gigs of Kingston DDR2 800 for like $37 for each set of 4 (2x 2gigs). I'm thinking either Vista 64 or giving the Windows 7 beta a try. Or would that be pushing it for driver issues? Anyone running Catalyst and gaming under Windows 7 beta?
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 9:46:40 AM

yipsl said:
It helps when your pithy. Most of the rest of us are prolix.

I didn't mean post your address on Facebook, but make friends with someone in your area close to your own age who upgrades alot. That might sound mercenary (like in the classic Dilbert strip where a girl agrees to go out with him for 3 weeks so he can troubleshoot her tech issues), but it could mean you find someone to be friends with who actually has similar interests.

Most of the guys I hung out with in junior high and high school were into heavy metal and sports, so when I looked for someone who also liked anime and SF, I got to know a girl in my Biology 2 class who was my lab partner. She ended up going to a different college, so I lost touch. But my wife turned out to be alot like her. Frumpy in a cute way, hippie ecologist in a positive way and totally into Japanese traditional culture and anime.

I can't wait till my Gigabyte 4850 gets here Monday or Tuesday. It has better than stock cooling. Won't overclock. I just don't want it to get flaky on me like the 3870x2 did (even after being returned, it works fine under Aero LOL).

Anyone running Vista 64? I ordered 8 gigs of Kingston DDR2 800 for like $37 for each set of 4 (2x 2gigs). I'm thinking either Vista 64 or giving the Windows 7 beta a try. Or would that be pushing it for driver issues? Anyone running Catalyst and gaming under Windows 7 beta?


I put 8gb in my machine in intention for Vista 64 Ultimate for which i have the disk for...

Im holding back not for any other reason but for the fact that I dont need anymore personal technical difficulties other than the work on which i am doing for my customers right now as at the end of the day, I do it so much, i just cant be bothered to do it for my self..

Although I will in the next few days... Interestingly enought I got a 4870 and a Fatality Soundblaster..
I hear the latter drivers are a bit poop.. hence my previous hold on doing anything with my machine but bread winning customers machine...

God computers are really boring me now.. just recovered someones data for the 1000th time..

good luck with the 4850, sounds like ya gonna play something good.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2009 9:49:32 AM

Ooooh I run Vista x64 with 8GB of DDR2 RAM (Cor. XMS2)

(Can I have a cookie now?)
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!