DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800

HardWally

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi all,

thanks in advance for any help provided.

I have a question regarding the Mobo, i'm looking at, and predominantly the RAM it supports.

P5P41T LE
e6500

I understand a little bit from what I have read, about O/C and understand a little about the concept, however I have no practical knowledge.

My questions are

-upon installing DDR3 1333 memory, I'm assuming I will need to Overclock something.
I'm assuming it wouldn't be the RAM, because its already 1333. I think it would be the FSB.

I would love to think it would clock automatic, but it probably won't

So, if possible please explain how difficult this will be. If it is relatively simple, please point me in the right direction of how to go about it.

Cheers

Solution
Either the RAM or the CPU will have to adjust itself to the other's settings.

For example:
In your case, the E6500 has a 1066 MHz FSB. That means 266 MHz x 4 (because the FSB is quad-pumped, don't ask me why). Now, your RAM is running at around 667 MHz (1333 effectively). Notice that if you multiply 266 by 5, you get 1333. There you go. That means your processor will work fine the way it is.

If ever you decide to overclock, I suggest you give attention to the CPU. The RAM gives virtually no increase in performance in games, and gives a negligible performance increase in video encoding/photoshop/similar. The RAM frequency will be automatically adjusted to "sync" to the CPU's frequency.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Either the RAM or the CPU will have to adjust itself to the other's settings.

For example:
In your case, the E6500 has a 1066 MHz FSB. That means 266 MHz x 4 (because the FSB is quad-pumped, don't ask me why). Now, your RAM is running at around 667 MHz (1333 effectively). Notice that if you multiply 266 by 5, you get 1333. There you go. That means your processor will work fine the way it is.

If ever you decide to overclock, I suggest you give attention to the CPU. The RAM gives virtually no increase in performance in games, and gives a negligible performance increase in video encoding/photoshop/similar. The RAM frequency will be automatically adjusted to "sync" to the CPU's frequency.

Solution

HardWally

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks,

I also read the FAQ's guide so I understand what you mean re: quad-pumped and the Double DR.

The BIOS should clock the FSB to allow the DDR3 1333 to run at the correct ratio and RAM speed. I would imagine it would underclock it down to suit 1066 (CPU) - which I would be happy with considering MSY and UMart no longer sell DDR 1066.

I will eventually learn to overclock once i get the pc up and running. Then ill try to kill it lol. This is my first attempt, so im still learning hardware at this stage lol. baby steps. BTW With the CPU, is the mulitplier always stock x10?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Intel SpeedStep can reduce that to something lower, like 5 or 6, when the CPU isn't stressed so much. So let's say you're casually browsing the Internet, your CPU will decrease its multiplier and vCore to conserve power. There is an option to turn that off in the BIOS, although I don't recommend turning it off. Power savings are nice.

DCNZ

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

My CPU is running at 1333, but my RAM is running at 1066. Both the RAM and CPU are 1333 from factory, but if I set the RAM to 1333 in the bios, it will not run. I only have 2 options in the bios. 1333 or 1066 for the RAM. I don't understand what the problem is with the RAM. It should run at 1333. It's just annoying.

Intel Xeon X5460
Asrock G41M-S3, with the correct pinouts for 1333