Sign in with
Your question

Stable overclock refuses to boot

Last response: in Overclocking
February 3, 2010 9:54:34 AM

Hey people.

I have a AMD X2 4000+ socket AM2 processor in a MSI K9N Neo-F V3 with the latest firmware installed.

My problem is that when I overclock my processor, it works wonderfully. 100% stable, no huge heat, no problems. Until I shut the computer down. If I shut the computer down and restart it, I will be faced with a black screen and have to reset BIOS again.

I can also not set a stable value to the FSB right away.

Example: I run the FSB at 250 instead of 200. It works wonders. I turn the computer off, it cannot boot. I reset BIOS, and after doing so and setting the FSB at 250, it will not boot. It will not boot if I set it to 210 either. I have to set it to 205, reboot, set it to 210, reboot, etc all the way up to 250 every - single - time I shut the computer down. This means 11 reboots every time I wanna use the computer for gaming.

It's very, very frustrating since 250 is as stable clock without any kinds of problems whatsoever. I've tried upping the voltage to the processor without any improvement.

Is there anything I can do or is the mb/processor just crap?
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 10:12:07 AM

Run Prime95 for 12Hours and monitor your temps, You don't want your temps going over 65C

Let us know how you get on. I'm thinking this is more of a memory issue
m
l
February 3, 2010 10:51:18 AM

Prime95 has been running stable for 8 hours with that clock with temperatures never going above 42 (usually not over 39). After that time I wanted to use the computer for other stuff and I deemed it stable enough. In any way it should be stable enough for the computer to complete a POST. I just get a black screen, as if the processor wasn't present at all.

A memory issue you say? I've tried running them at 400Mhz (specced for 533) but it doesn't make a difference.

The thing that's confusing me is the inability to change FSB too much at a time..

200 -> 205 -> 210 -> 215 -> 220 -> 225 -> (etc up to 250) = No problem
200 -> 250 = Won't boot
Also 200 -> 210 = Won't boot

I can raise the FSB to about 260 before the computer starts going unstable, as long as I do it at a pace of no more than 5Mhz at a time. However, if I try raising it from 200 to 210 in one go, the computer won't boot. I mean, nothing shows any sign of instability (not memory nor CPU) at the clock I usually run, but it just won't boot from it.

It's very frustrating as the computer OBVIOUSLY hasn't got a problem running at that speeds.

Could it be the motherboard that's just crap? Can I try increasing the voltage to it and see if it just wants more juice to start from? What would that setting be called in BIOS then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 11:08:26 AM

Theres alot more than just 1 voltage, I suggest you set the voltages manually in the BIOS and make sure the memory is set to its rated timings and voltage.

Your temps are fine and 8 hours should be enough. What are your full system specs?.

m
l
February 3, 2010 11:25:44 AM

The thing is, I don't know what setting in BIOS that modifies the motherboard voltage. The ones for CPU and memory are fairly obviously stated, but not for the motherboard. I'll try downspec the memory as much as I can and see if it makes any difference. The memory sticks are 2x Cruicial and 2x TwinMOS I think. I don't know all the model numbers etc by head but if there is anything special you are wondering about I can go look it up. I'll need to go find the receipt for all the parts if you need specifics.

Keep in mind, however, that the computer refuses to boot when the memory is basically still running at lower speeds than specced for. They run at 800Mhz instead of 1066 when the computer fails to boot, and the CPU fails to boot at 5% overlock while it runs stable at 25% for 8hours in Prime95.
m
l
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 12:02:55 PM

Need to know:

Powersupply make and model
Graphics card
CPU
memory
motherboard
How many fans you have
How many Harddrives
How many optical drives.

If your not sure what the voltages do, i suggest you research them before you touch any of them.

BTW mixing to different brands of memory is never a good idea.

I would try removing all the TwinMOS RAM sticks and just leave in the Cruicial and see if that helps you boot.

I know you said its stable, but if its fine at stock then obviously something to do with the overclock is causing this issue.
m
l
February 3, 2010 1:58:23 PM

Unplugging everything but one of the corsair sticks and the graphics card yields the same results. Can't boot anything over 205 FSB (not even 206). I tried alternating which of the memory sticks I left in but it doesn't matter. I know it has something to do with the overclock, but the speed itself simply can't be the issue as the computer is stable as a rock when overclocked.

I can't find any setting to change the voltage to the mainboard, any chance what it might be called?

For reference, I have 3 fans, 2 disks, one DVD-burner and it's running off a 500w Antec power supply. Allthough I'm close to 100% certain none of these have any impact on the situation (seeing as it's the same even if I unplug everything but the absolute minimum for the computer to boot)

Is it a reasonable guess to say that the motherboard is simply craptastic?

The GFX card is a 8800GT btw, but this issue has been there since long before I got it. I'd say almost everything inside the computer has been changed since I discovered this issue, except for the processor and motherboard. And since the processor seems very, very stable when stresstested it simply can't be anything else than the motherboard? Or am I ignoring something obvious?
m
l
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 3, 2010 2:23:12 PM

well I've never overclocked an AMD system before, so some of the voltages may be different. There isnt a voltage for the entire motherboard, but there are voltages for chipsets on the motherboard such as southbridge and northbridge

If I were you I'd be tempted to buy another motherboard (research a mobo that has good overclocking ability) and buy it, You'll have to check this, but im pretty sure you have 7 days to return An item if you simply no longer want it anymore, so you could try out the new mobo, see if that solves the issue, if it does then keep it. If it doesnt then send it back.

If you live in the UK i can give you the names of some good online retailers
m
l
!