Integrated video works, ATI and Nvidia cards don't. Why?

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I got an Asus P5KPL-AM with an Intel E5200, 2 gig of OCZ ram and XP pro. The motherboard has integrated graphics which works as it is supposed too. The other day I thought I would put in a Palit Nvidia 8400 GS card as a step up from the integrated Intel G31 video.

Desktop and Windows Explorer use were fine but whenever I tried to watch TV (Freecom USB stick) or play video the computer would hang ending up in me having to reboot, (sometimes other software triggers off this fault but it is guaranteed to happen when opening up the TV card software or trying to run video playback.)

I thought this might be a problem with the card so I changed it to a Palit ATI 4670. This results in the same problem.

The Asus board chooses whichever is set in the bios ie initiate PCI express or integrated or old style PCI so this motherboard appears to not need a specific ‘disable onboard video’ command but will switch between whatever video is set to boot first.

All the drivers seem to be installed ok and device manager sees no conflicts. The ATI card works as it should up to a point. It managed a 3Dmark06 score of over 8000 and works as it should with games.

Switching back to the onboard Intel G31 graphics adaptor will enable me to run video and watch TV and works perfectly.

Did a full install of everything including codecs and the USB TV reception is working. Did dxdiag and it reported a Direct Show problem. Put the slider for hardware acceleration to the middle position for disabling direct draw and direct 3d and the card will now play video files.

This full install includes the November Direct X 9c, .net 2, klite codec pack, latest ATI drivers and Catalyst software.

When I test direct draw and direct 3d in dxdiag it passes.

Whats going on?

Any ideas? I’m stumped.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What do you mean by "full install", you listed the apps you installed, but did you format the drive and reinstall the OS? If not, you can try a driver cleaner program to remove the old drivers completely, then install drivers for the new card.. Otherwise, install the card you want and format the drive and install the OS with the new card installed. Most times you can upgrade components without needed to format, but sometimes the OS just doesnt want to play nice and needs it.

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Yep, full format of the drive and install of XP.

What I'm wondering is what the hardware acceleration slider is indicating. I've had to put it to the setting where it disables direct draw and direct 3d and this results in the PC working properly (as far as I can tell).

Usually this means imperfect drivers?