kal20mx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I saw them today and Decided to go for the phenom II but when i installed it on my mobo 2 pins broke off... are they faulty?

Roffey123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
First off - Phenom II was only just released today - and I highly doubt you bought it out of a shop . So either (I'm not saying you are) you're lying or you've mistaken a Phenom I for a Phenom II.

What ever the case pins don't break unless you're a complete numpty and make them break - unless they fell off the die perfectly. Which I doubt - unless you've a screenie to prove otherwise. So the fact is, the chip isn't faulty - you're just heavy-handed.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I'd agree with Roffey123, hard to bend cpu pins unless you're careless.

Whatever cpu it was, it's just a square of junk now, I doubt you'd get a refund......

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
RMA wont be accepted. Newegg or any online retailer do not refund/replace for bent/broken pins. Processors have a totally different return policy than all other products.

If this person actually does own this chip, odds are anyways they got it in a brick and mortar. Even then a return might be hard/impossible considering the box is open.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I broke a 486 when they had just been released - in the days before zif sockets - used a screwdriver to get it out of the socket and broke a corner of the chip right off...

**** happens...

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

LOL, I misidentified pin 1 on my first genuine 486 build (not the 486DLC that I managed to do right in the prior generation). Well, I didn't bend the pins or break anything but the 486DX2 and the motherboard died and I had to spend the cash to replace them as it was my only PC at the time.

I was so happy when ZIF sockets came out. It was easier in the 386SX days when the CPU's were soldered on the motherboards and easier with ZIF. You just had to be very careful with LIF sockets.

Still, I can't see how he got a Phenom II in his klutzy hands this early. He may be making the whole thing up.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
sometimes its better to squeeze them in with channel locks than the hammer. hammer is more of a finesse tool if the channel locks don't force the pins where they need to go.

A G clamp is always helpful to install cpu's that resist .

Put the cpu over the socket and then put the clamp around the mb and cpu . Tighten them up . Really tight . Its guaranteed to force the pins in properly .
This method is so versatile you can even get intel cpu's into AMD boards for extra performance .
EXTRA performance

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Not since the socket 7 days. :lol: That was the last time AMD and Intel supported the same socket. You should have had a smily at the end to show you weren't serious, unless you were seriously trying to mess with the OP's mind.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
outlander is correct. the compression from the G clamp will "right" any "wrong" there was in engineering. i would dare say a Pentium 1 will fit in a 939 board using this technique. heat will be a non-issue as there will be no heat created by the CPU ever again.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I just had a 939 msi motherboard stop working tonight, maybe I can upgrade to the new phenom II and put my 9850be in the 939 mother board and like magic it will come back to life with outlanders method!!!

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I have lapped the 9850be so the heat issue should work out even better with this new method, I am gonna try it and I will let you guys know how it turns out!! BRB :lol: :lol: :lol:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Reverse engineer outlander's method. Pluck the pins off the CPU and insert it in a PC Chips socket T board. Then, when it's not working, you can blame PC Chips. If you can't find a PC chips board, then an ECS will do. :na:

Note the use of a smiley, I don't want any clueless noob taking me seriously.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
When a old computer tech bud of mine bought a 9550 2.4ghz new awhile back he managed to bend 2 pin's from the top left hand corner of the cpu...The cpu still ran like this which shocked us both and i only found the problem when i was reapplying past on the cpu.

He is a certified tech but age has got the best of his eyes and now he let's me do all the small things for him! I used a magnifying glass and some fine tweezer's and straightened the pins out and they went into the pin holes and everything was fine.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I'm 51 1/2 years old and the one year I could not do my own builds, was when I had cataracts on both eyes. Once I got surgery for both, then it was back to doing my own work.

I still chose my components. As for eyesight, I'm legally blind in my left eye from strabismus and am very careful and use a magnifier where necessary (darned USB pins). I can't see 3D movies, but wear the glasses to be able to see it in 2D (we take our son to 3D kids movies and I chose the 2D for Beowulf over 3D).

The only reason I had surgery in my bad eye, besides the huge cataract made me look like an extra in a bad hillbilly horror movie, is that I do have good peripheral vision in that eye, everything is just blurred straight on, it's something like 20/200.

That's why I don't work as a PC Tech, but started ages ago in mainframe and then moved to batch ops. I'll still keep building my own for as many years as I can. I'm very cautious with CPU's. So far, I haven't bent a pin and only fried that one 486 due to not identifying pin 1 in the LIF days.

Thats nonsense! I have successfully installed slot one intel chips in socket 939 amd boards using two clamps and some 5 minute epoxy . All it needs is enough pressure and anything is possible .