Multi-coloured screen on cold start

CutlassGuy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have a BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX3 motherboard running a 5000+ cpu 64bit ultimate OS, 8 gig Corsair XMS ram, using onboard graphics. I originally had OCZ ram in the board and i experienced the same problem.

When i put everything together and fired it up for the first time i found out i had a dead stick of OCZ ram, no biggie i installed vista with 2 sticks. Vista installed perfectly and the system ran great.....until i shut it off for the night.

In the morning i started the comp up and right away i got a multi-coloured screen of flashing lines. I changed out the monitor, same thing so i shut it down, pulled the ram, set it in the non-dual channel slots(yes all my ram is dual channel)and it fired right up. i let it get into vista, shut it down again and put the ram back into the dual channel, and once again it fired right up.

I thought i discovered the problem, it was the ram. I ordered new ram Corsair PC6400 XMS dual channel, 8 gigs (64bit OS install this time). I installed the OS with the Corsair ram, worked awesome. Tried a shutdown for about 15 minutes, it fired right back up. Seeing this i thought i had the problem solved.

Once again i shut the computer down for the night, woke up started it up and i got the same multicolored screen of death.

The PS is also brand new 450W with dual 12V rails, seems to be totally stable. Runs absolutely amazing, no flaws at all until you shut it down for an extended time. The only way to get it to boot again is to pull out the ram and mess with its placement.

Since i have used 2 different types of ram it cannot be a ram problem

Any suggestions as to what is causing this, have i missed something in the bios? (I am using whatever the bios defaults to and haven't even attempted an OC)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

CutlassGuy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
It's a crossfire MB, brand new. I'm using the onboard ATI 3300 128meg graphics. It runs great when i keep it running. Could the issue be with the onboard graphics on start up ? And i discovered also that when you start it cold and you see the multi-coloured screen, just hit reset and it boots vista no prob.

co30cl

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Sounds like a problem with the memory your on-board video is using (I had similar problem with the memory gone bad on my video card). So could be the actual RAM, but you swapped that. So I think it would either be some BIOS settings regarding the on-board or RAM settings, or possibly defective motherboard where some component(s) don't work properly until 'warmed up' a bit.