Intel Core 2 Duo compability issue

sajr

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I'm trying to build a new system, but I am having a problem. I bought an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=E8500 and an Asus P5K SE http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1705&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0. The cpu seems to be compatible with the motherboard, and when I put it in - it fits into the socket. The only problem is when I try to lower the metal lever to lock it - the more I push it down, the more the motherboard starts making the noise like it's about to crack. I don't want to push the lever all the way, because I don't want to damage the motherboard.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm guessing maybe the cpu is not compatible - but it's an Intel Core 2 Duo LGA775 processor, which is what the motherboard supports.

Any advice would be appreciated.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
It is compatible and it only lines up with the tabs one way. If its crunching u got it in wrong. There are tabs and a arrow that has to be lined up.

If you heard crunching you better check the pins in your mobo socket, because you probably bent them.

I double check your orientation of the chip in relation to the socket. There should be some firmness in the installation, but not too extreme.
See page 2-7, of your mobo manual, for the correct installation of the CPU. there is an alignment key that you need to be aware of on the CPU that will match up with the s775 on the mobo. See page 2-8 for that information.

sajr

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks lunyone - I installed the cpu. It was a little firm - and when I looked in the manual and some "how to" websites, they never stated how firm it's going to be - and that's what the whole issue was.

Now that the CPU is installed I have another question - the cpu did not come with a heatsink, and I have another heatsink that I bought separately. Looking at the heatsink now, I don't see my Core 2 Duo E8500 on the Applications table. The highest it's got is E6700. Can I install this heatsink anyway?

Yeah you should be able to use it. I just wouldn't try to OC that chip much with that CPU HSF. Make sure you use some thermal paste on the CPU HSF before you install it. It normally should have it already applied on the HSF, but just double check it.

sajr

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks. Now I have my system built. I tried the final test - turning it on, and it works like a charm (or at least so far). Everything seems to be working correctly. :)