tarcruel

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I just built my new computer. I got the last cabble plugged in and hit the power switch...nothign :( When i plug in the psu and flip the power to the psu on the only things that come on are the light for the MB on off and reset switch, the light in my audio card that came with my mb, the cmos reset button, and the lcd readout poster. The poster reads CPU INIT. nothing happens when I hit the power switch. I have re-seated my CPU, pulled my vga and sound card and still the same message and results. I do not know what to do now please help!!!
Here is some of my parts. Rampage formula MB, Supremefx ii Audio card, radeon 4870x2 VGA, Q9650 CPU, 750w P&C PSU.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
J

The way that I read his post is that he doesn't even get to the post part of the boot up. It sounds like he doesn't even fully power up.
I double check all of your power connections, especially the 4 pin CPU power connection on the mobo. Of coarse double check your 24 pin power connection on your mobo too. If all else fails, pull everything out and place it onto a piece of non-conductive material (cardboard will do). Connect up 1 RAM stick, GPU, CPU, HD and all of the necessary power connections (24 pin/4 pin CPU/etc.). Maybe you have a short between your mobo and the case, don't know for sure, but by pulling out the mobo from the case, you'll minimize that variable from the equation.

tarcruel

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
my ram is 8 gig (4x2g) ocz ddr2 1066 2 dual channel kits. My fans dont even come on. I get no post beeps. I only see lights on my led screen and sound card.

tarcruel

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i unplugged everything and put it all on a cardboard box. with just the cpu plugged in and speaker and pwr switch i try and turn it on and nothing its still the same thing. CPU INIT. what bios do i need to have on my board for a q9650?

Also found this from a forum:
"Just found out that my Crucial Value RAMs are causing the CPU INIT and DET DRAM issues. Took out the first RAM and it was freaking cold whereas the second RAM was burning hot."
That was from page 2. Page 1 has a link

Also info from the 1st page link on a Striker Extreme mobo, which may/may not help you:
"ASUS Striker Extreme - CPU INIT ErrorJuly 8th, 2007 by Kostakiss
*** PLEASE READ THE LEGAL DISCLAIMER BEFORE YOU MOVE FURTHER TO MY SUGGESTIONS BY CLICKING ON THIS LINK ***

I guess there are plenty of people out there who have purchased the ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard and are now disappointed with their choice and definitely frustrated with ASUS. Those where my feelings, too.

After wasting tens of hours on internet searching and many more on clearing my mobo’s CMOS, I think I found out the solution, which I would share with all the folks out there who experience the same issues.

If you get the CPU INIT error message and you try to clear the CMOS, but the mobo seems dead, then probably your problem is your memory’s voltage.

Briefly, my mobo seemed dead, with no beeping, no posting. The only thing I could see was the CPU INIT message on the mobo’s LCD. However, the CPU fan together with all the mobo’s leds where on, which means that there was voltage across it. I tried all the possible ways of clearing the CMOS, with and without cards, swapping memory stick or sticks and so on, but with no results.

Your mobo is most likely fine if the CPU fan works and here is the way to bring it back to life.

First of all you need to have a low specification RAM, running on probably 667 MHz, but the most important of all is the memory voltage. The memory needs to run with 1.8 Volts. The OCZ 9200 I got uses 2.3 Volts for operating, which is far away from 1.8 Volts. Note that the default settings for the memory voltage on your BIOS is set to AUTO, which is actually 1.8 Volts. This is probably the reason that you cannot clear your CMOS with high data rate modules, as all of them use higher voltage than that.

Step 1

Remove all the power cords including the 24-pin ATX connector (EATXPWR) and maybe the 2×4 (8-pin EPS) or 1×4 ATX12V connector (the one which powers up the CPU and is located just next to it).

Step 2

Remove all the cards including your graphics card

Step 3

Place only one Memory Stick at the last slot (the one further from CPU).

Step 4

Clear your CMOS. If you don’t know or you are not sure how, CLICK HERE.

Step 5

Put the graphics card on.

Step 6

Connect all the power cables, including the 24-pin ATX connector (EATXPWR) and the 2×4 (8-pin EPS) or 1×4 ATX12V connector.

Step 7

Power UP

You should now hear the desired BEEP and the motherboard should normally post. If everything works fine, shut down your PC, remove the low performance memory stick and install the high rate memories. During the posting enter the BIOS and change the memory voltage from AUTO to the appropriate value.

Please note that, if you do not have the newest BIOS version you should do so as soon as possible. My BIOS version is currently 1102, which is the latest. If you notice on the BIOS updates, there are many memory combatibility issues fixed on each updated version. Therefore the very first thing when you bring the motherboard in life is to update the BIOS keeping the low performance memory and then install the high data rate memory sticks.

In case that you have any query about the process mentioned in this post or you did not eventually brought your motherboard back to life, please feel free to leave your message here.

You can also leave a message to let other people know what you have experienced and of course whether this trick worked for you or not."
Link to said quotes above.