Sign in with
Your question

Computer dead, but now working?

Last response: in Components
January 8, 2009 9:29:15 PM

Hello all. Yesterday night before going to bed, the computer froze up and I shut it down by holding the power button down for 5 seconds. Today when I woke up, I found out that my tower was completely dead. I tried starting it up, but not a fan or a buzz or anything was heard from it. I felt the case and it was cold everywhere, as expected.

I checked the back of my power supply and saw that the light was blinking green and making a faint clicking sound. I peered inside my computer and found out that the same green light with the sound was also on my mobo. I worked for 20 minutes, trying to find out what would cause this. I decided to drop it and went to school [yes, I go to school].

I come back home and to my surprised, the computer is working good as new! In fact, I'm typing on it right now. I'm a little paranoid about shutting it down again because I'm afraid it may freeze up. Any explanation to why this happened? How can I prevent this in the future? Thanks.

Sorry for typos. This was typed hastily.

More about : computer dead working

January 8, 2009 10:59:44 PM

Hmm, could have been an insufficient power current going to it...or maybe your PS is going?
January 9, 2009 1:29:21 AM

Sometimes the power button does not pop out all the way, and the system stays in reset.
My HP system has a cool looking blue backlit button that sticks, and I saw similar symptoms. Now I always double check as I boot up.
January 9, 2009 9:59:59 AM

jeteryankees22 said:
Hmm, could have been an insufficient power current going to it...or maybe your PS is going?

Perhaps. This computer is around 5 years old.

I'm just keeping it on life support [upgrade graphics card, ram] for the time-being until I get a new one.
!