Computer dead, but now working?

Hello all. Yesterday night before going to bed, the computer froze up and I shut it down by holding the power button down for 5 seconds. Today when I woke up, I found out that my tower was completely dead. I tried starting it up, but not a fan or a buzz or anything was heard from it. I felt the case and it was cold everywhere, as expected.

I checked the back of my power supply and saw that the light was blinking green and making a faint clicking sound. I peered inside my computer and found out that the same green light with the sound was also on my mobo. I worked for 20 minutes, trying to find out what would cause this. I decided to drop it and went to school [yes, I go to school].

I come back home and to my surprised, the computer is working good as new! In fact, I'm typing on it right now. I'm a little paranoid about shutting it down again because I'm afraid it may freeze up. Any explanation to why this happened? How can I prevent this in the future? Thanks.

Sorry for typos. This was typed hastily.
3 answers Last reply
More about computer dead working
  1. Hmm, could have been an insufficient power current going to it...or maybe your PS is going?
  2. Sometimes the power button does not pop out all the way, and the system stays in reset.
    My HP system has a cool looking blue backlit button that sticks, and I saw similar symptoms. Now I always double check as I boot up.
  3. jeteryankees22 said:
    Hmm, could have been an insufficient power current going to it...or maybe your PS is going?

Perhaps. This computer is around 5 years old.

I'm just keeping it on life support [upgrade graphics card, ram] for the time-being until I get a new one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computer Components