EP45-UD3R Won't Save CPU Clock Ratio and Fine CPU Clock Ratio

acgarcia81

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hi Forum Members,

I have searched all over the internet and couldn't find the answer. I'm hoping someone here can help me. I bought the ep45-ud3r mobo after seeing nice reviews on it over at newegg. Everything is working fine, well I shouldn't say that, cause everytime I try to change the CPU Clock Ratio and Fine CPU Clock Ratio, the CPU Clock Ratio resets back to 6 and Fine CPU Clock Ratio is disabled. Note I'm not trying to OC I'm just trying to get the standard spec for the CPU. Right now it's stuck at 2.0 GHz cause my fsb is at 333 MHz with a CPU Clock Ratio at 6.

Can anyone please help?

Here are my specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Mobo - ep45-ud3r
Memory - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

I think that should be good for now. Please let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks.

acgarcia81

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hmmmmm.. So no one is able to help me? Do you guys need my bios settings? I upgraded to F6 just in case any of you were wondering. Much help would be greatly appreciated.

acgarcia81

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

When I set it, it reboots once. It's able to post and go into windows. But when I go back to bios, the CPU Clock Ratio and Fine CPU Clock Ratio is set back to 6 and disabled. FSB is at 333 MHz. I just cleared my CMOS, but I have a question. If I upgraded the BIOS to F6 before I cleared my CMOS, should I still have F6? Or does it go back to factory? I just checked my BIOS version and it's still at F6. Just wondering if I cleared my CMOS correctly. Thanks for any help.

bilbat

Splendid
No, clearing CMOS will leave the BIOS version alone - all it does is clears the boot block table, and forces a reload of defaults (and even that is undependable - best thing to do after a 'clear' is to use the 'reload optimized defaults' function... What CPU are you using?

acgarcia81

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

I am using the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 processor. Yeah, I tried the reload optimized defaults and after I did that I went to M.I.T settings to see what it changed it to and it changed it to 333 MHz x 9.5, but when I save and exit, after it posts I go back to the BIOS settings -> M.I.T category and it's changed back to 333 Mhz x 6. Very frustrating.

Update: I ran Orthos Stress Prime 2004 and it lists my processor at 333 MHz x 6.5 so in windows I have 2.17 GHz. Still not the speed I was hoping for. I ran it for 5 hours and no errors. I'm trying to figure if there's something wrong with my motherboard or cpu. Or if I just need to change some settings around.

flyer_11

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I don't think you have a problem. The fact that you see a 6x multiplier is just the system downloading the CPU. It should snap to 9.5 as soon as you put it under load. I have the E8400 and the ep45-ud3p and that's the way it operates. There is a section in the BIOS that manages this.

**I just noticed your last post about running a stress test. Not sure about that. I just know that mine snaps to 9x (and 333FSB for 3GHZ) immediately when under load. All other times it shows 6x and 333FSB for 2GHz.

bilbat

Splendid
Sorry - I didn't, apparently, see the system ID in the first post... Just wanted to check what the default multiplier should be. CPU support says both steppings have been supported since F3, and after a little research, I'm really confused, as the only Intel I've been able to find at that spec (1333FSB w/6 mult) is an old Xeon - the 5130, so I can't imagine what the BIOS thinks it's finding in the socket - I don't even think that's a 775!

I know when I'm in over my head - I think this is a prime candidate for a post over at the GB TweakTown forum - try Janus Yeh - the GB tech rep, and LSDmeASAP; between the two of 'em, they'll come up with an answer...

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69

bilbat

Splendid
Oh jeeze - flyer's got it - I never thought to ask if you have EIST and C1E disabled - your system is downclocking to 'be green', dontcha just love the reach of political correctness?

acgarcia81

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks! My EIST and C1E were enabled so I disabled it. I also changed the voltage for my cpu core to 1.2v and ddr2 to 2.1v and changed the cpu clock ratio to 9, the fine clock ratio to .5 and the fsb to 337, but for some reason it doesn't save in my BIOS; HOWEVER when I go to Contol Panel -> System it shows my E8500 @ 3.16 GHz at 3.20 GHz. I overclocked it a little bit =). I don't think 40 MHz would do anything bad. I'm going to run Orthos tonight with my new settings and see if it's stable. Here's a pic of it.

3283442061_518dfb1698_o.jpg

Thanks so much for all your help guys. I was thinking about returning my mobo or cpu, I'm so glad I don't have to now. I'll probably check out those forums for some overclocking tips. I wanna get to 3.4-3.6 safely.

Daf1115

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Hi, i was googling the same exact problem and i came across this thread. I have the same board and processor, and i am having a problem with the clock ratio. My clock ratio is stuck at 6x when i want it at 9.5x for default settings. I have tried disabling C1E and EIST as stated in this thread, but it won't fix my problem. When i disable C1E and EIST, the reading does change in the system window in the control panel. However my bios still says the ratio is at 6x, 2.0 Ghz, and when i test the processor with 3dmark, performance is significantly reduced from where it was. I've even flashed bios and the problem persists.

Again i have the Intel E8500 on a GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard.

any suggestions?

bilbat

Splendid
Have you tried the CMOS reset (jumpers), followed by a 'Load Optimized Defaults'? Six seems to be some kind of 'magic number' - sometimes I'll get 'stuck' at 6 x 111, for god only knows what reason...

BTW - here's a simple trick to make those CMOS resets a breeze, if you putz around in your BIOS a lot, as I do (probably way too much...!!!)

Go to Radio Shack, and get a couple 'sub-mini' SPST 'push-on' pushbutton switches - solder them in series, connected to a two-pin header to your clear CMOS pins and mount them somewheres inconspicuous on the front panel; having two prevents 'accidental' BIOS resets - you have to intend to push them simultaneously (I actually take the added step of sanding of the button part nearly flush); saves groping inside the case or dinking around with a screwdriver blade trying to short them...

Daf1115

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
hmmm i just reset the cmos and did a Load Optimized Defaults, but its still reading 6x333.30mhz

I should add that I had the CPU overclocked to 3.6ghz from the default 3.13ghz using the EasyTune6 program that came with my Gigabyte ep45-u3dr motherboard. This problem came about when i tried to up that overclock to the 2nd level offered to me by ET6 which was 3.87 Ghz. I started up and the processor was only reading 2.4Ghz and thats when i noticed the issue with the clock ratio.....

bilbat

Splendid
Acckk! There's your problem - EasyTune is a bug-ridden piece of ^&%$! Do your overclock in the bios, and uninstall it - see if your troubles go away... If you need BIOS instructions, post back, and I'll walk you through it.

Daf1115

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
yeah i found that out after using it and then reading up on it :-\ ... So I uninstalled it last night.

I tried my own OC in BIOS to 3.4Ghz and all the settings that i change stay after restart except for that damned clock ratio.

The only progress I can see is in the system window of control panel when I disable C1E and EIST. The OC is shown there but I don't really trust that over what CPU-Z is telling me.

bilbat

Splendid
There are any number of alternative programs that will give you this info - always the chance that, for some specific MOBO/chipset, one of 'em might not be accurate. Here's a well-maintained list:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools-30530/
Pick a few, and cross-check 'em against one another...

Daf1115

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
getting the same reading (380.00 x 6.0) from 4 different programs. Realtemp, coretemp, cpu-z, and everest ultimate.

bilbat

Splendid
I would certainly think so - my opinion is, if tech support can't tell you how to fix it, they should definitely tell you where to ship it! I preach a lot about 'tests good' RMAs, but, this is really wierd - a clear CMOS followed by a 'Load Optimized Defaults' should definitely put an end to it - if it doesn't, something is basically wrong - at this point, I'm wondering if there's a flaw in the hardware that lets you 'store' your parameter set - maybe it's showing correctly when you change it (I'm sure, at that point, it's just 'buffered') but can't get itself actually 'written' to the CMOS registers, and thus vanishes at reboot... Somehow, the write mechanism worked once to store the erroneous 'six', and now it just can't get itself to write back to that register!