[Troubleshooting Help] No post with multiple boards and CPUs

arggonuts

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Where to start...About 2 days ago I started having random system crashes with different blue screens almost every time. I couldn't tell you which ones exactly since I wrote it off as not a huge deal, it happens.

Today, I was getting system crashes every 5-10 minutes. My CPU was an e2160, so naturally it was overclocked (3.3ghz) and had been running stable for almost a year. I figured it was starting to wear and tear so just to see if the crashes would stop, or at least slow down, I loaded all the BIOS' default settings. At this point, the system would blue screen and reset every time it made it to the Vista loading screen. I had no issues accessing the BIOS, even updated it at this time. This is also where it gets a little confusing since I swapped the E2160 out for an E8400. It booted up once after a few resets, ran fine for about 5 minutes, and now it's kicked the bucket entirely.

During my first stage of troubleshooting, I could get it to get to the POST no problem, but it'd crash when loading Windows. It progressed further to only posting once every 5 or so reboots. Now, it's not doing anything, no posts, no beeps, nothing.

Here's the list of components I've tested and NO combination of them work:

Intel Pentium E2160 / ASUS P5E Motherboard / HIS Radeon 3870 x2 / 2x sticks of Patriot Extreme Performance DDR-800. I'd been running this setup for about a year as I said.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / BIOSTAR T-Fore TP43D2A7. I had these kind of sitting on the side about to build another PC.

I also pulled out an old Intel Pentium D 805 LGA 775 for further testing, but it probably wouldn't have worked in the first place.

So as I've said, any of the above combinations don't post, don't beep (even with no memory in the system), or do anything else but turn on lights and fants.

The ONLY thing I've done to the computers in the past 4 months was install Warhammer Online and it's been running 100% fine on this computer (the wife's, AMD machine). My biggest fear is the Real Power Pro 1000 PSU that came with my Cooler Master Stacker case. I'm praying to God that it didn't go haywire and fry everything I hooked up to it. After I thought of that, I tried using a 450w PSU from the computer I was building, and same results.

I'm out of parts to try to swap it with, since this is an AMD machine and at this point, I'm scared to try swapping anything else. I apologize for the long post, but I really hope someone here can help me.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
It might be the power supplies, perhaps your 1000w PS might be gone, and your 450w one might not provide enough power. Do you have any other video cards that you can test out because the 3870 requres alot of power. Also, when you try to test, unplug everything (floppy drive, hard drive, cd roms, usb card reader) when you try to post.