VMWare ESX and ICH10 / ICH10R

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hi all,

for those (like me) that were willing to try VMWare ESX on a new platform, please be warned that ESX 3.5 don't work on motherboards with Intel chipsets ICH10 , ICH10R, ICH8 and ICH8R . It works only on ICH7, ICH7R, ICH9 and ICH9R.

I upgraded recently to an i7/X58 platform on an Asus P6T which comes with ICH10 and got really really frustated with ESX since i was planning to try and learn something more about virtualization hypervisors.

Hope VMWare plans a new revision on this despite they are focus on recognized OEM brands and professional HW servers.

Enterprises normally use servers on VMware's approved list to run ESX (and ESXi), not desktop systems. As a workaround, you could install a supported RAID controller. Unfortunately the Marvell Ethernet controller on your motherboard isn't supported either. You'll have to install supported NICs.

reefburnaby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
ICH10 and ICH9 are supported on the latest update (3.5 Update 4).

I have ESXi 3.5 U4 running on i7 920 and it works pretty good. Besure to update BIOS since some manufacturers don't set the VT mode correctly.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

This is great news!

I have a Asus P5T motherboard bought in last week of january. I'll check if there is any new BIOS update.

Many thanks for the info.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

One doubt: did you installed ESX with U4 from scratch on a i7 platform? Or you just updated an existing installation?

I guess with ESXi 3.51 U3 still available for free download it's impossible to install from scratch, no?

Thanks.

Latest posts