georgec

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

Q posted in General also!
When I login into Windows XP pro as “admin” following a normal boot up,
within a couple of seconds the top half of my screen cannot be accessed – ie.
my desktop shrinks about half way down the screen.
If I load an application it only opens /maximises in that portion of the
screen.
However, the actual desktop background remains unchanged!
It very weird because if I login under a different user this does not happen.
It seems that my screen is acting as virtual screen?
I have checked the settings and nothing seems different.
Has anyone experienced this or does this happen if your press some sort of
weird key combination?
Has anyone a solution?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:56:03 -0700, GeorgeC wrote:

> Q posted in General also!
> When I login into Windows XP pro as ¡§admin¡¨ following a normal boot up,
> within a couple of seconds the top half of my screen cannot be accessed ¡V ie.
> my desktop shrinks about half way down the screen.
> If I load an application it only opens /maximises in that portion of the
> screen.
> However, the actual desktop background remains unchanged!
> It very weird because if I login under a different user this does not happen.
> It seems that my screen is acting as virtual screen?
> I have checked the settings and nothing seems different.
> Has anyone experienced this or does this happen if your press some sort of
> weird key combination?
> Has anyone a solution?

This is a weird problem and not one I've ever heard of. If a window is not
maximized, can you manually resize it to fill the screen? Or drag and drop
the window into the "blocked" portion of the screen?

Wild guess at something you might try: Display properties> Desktop>
Customize Desktop> Web. If there is anything here, remove the check mark
next to it. By default there is only "my current home page" in this list
but it is not checked.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User