I recently upgraded some parts in my computer. i am currently running:

ASUS P5N-D mobo
Intel Q9450
COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
ASUS GTX 260 Geforce Video 896mb
4gb Corsair RAM
WD 250gb 7200rpm HD
WD raptor 80gb 10,000rpm HD

The cpu fan, mobo, video card and CPU are the newest components (in that order, 1st being newest).

I just recently started tracking my system and CPU temps so I have no reference as to what I used to be running. The room that I have my computer running in is approximately 25C.

I installed PC Probe II software that came with the mobo and was startled to find out that my CPU is running at 56C idle and 61C under load. Please understand that I do NOT overclock. I don't have the knowledge to do so, so I have stayed away from doing it. Everything is stock. I orginally had the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 pro CPU fan when I discovered this issue. At full load with the old fan I was running 69C at times.

All case fans (qty 3) are functioning properly and mounted in the proper direction for airflow. Front fan pulling in, side and rear fan blowing out.

I have never had the system shut down due to overheating but I've heard that other people who have teh Q9450 are running in the mid 40C range at idle. I am stumped. Motherboard is sitting at 52C. Not sure how good that is either.

Below is an attached picture. The case has been blown out and cleaned.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

More about : computer running hot

January 9, 2009 10:02:16 AM

Stick the supplied 60mm chipset fan on for a start - I know it says its only for use with water cooling but that 750i chipset gets rather hot and it needs it!!
Check your bios under 'hardware monitoring' to see if your CPU and case fans are set to the 'Qfan' speed monitoring mode - if they are set the CPU target temp lower so they spin up quicker or disable this feature to run them at full speed.
Also if PC probe is not the current version then it may report the CPU temperature incorrectly. Download something like coretemp to get accurate temp readings of the cores. The lastest version of Speedfan should be able to report your other temperatures properly.

January 9, 2009 11:24:55 AM

I have read and experienced that we should NOT be using PCprobe!

Please download coretemp to view your cpu temps.
Related resources
January 9, 2009 12:02:55 PM

Thanks mythor. I will try coretemp and see if my results differ.
January 9, 2009 12:09:35 PM

MMclachlan said:
Stick the supplied 60mm chipset fan on for a start - I know it says its only for use with water cooling but that 750i chipset gets rather hot and it needs it!!
Check your bios under 'hardware monitoring' to see if your CPU and case fans are set to the 'Qfan' speed monitoring mode - if they are set the CPU target temp lower so they spin up quicker or disable this feature to run them at full speed.
Also if PC probe is not the current version then it may report the CPU temperature incorrectly. Download something like coretemp to get accurate temp readings of the cores. The lastest version of Speedfan should be able to report your other temperatures properly.

Yeah I was wondering why it would hurt to place a fan on the chipset. I will install the fan and use core temp. I will report back with results. Thank you for your help.
January 9, 2009 10:52:18 PM

Okay latest update. I installed the chipset fan and download coretemp.

Core 0 seems to be doing most of the work. Can anyone tell me if this looks normal please?

idle

load

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.
Jeff
January 11, 2009 1:17:38 AM

I was hoping someone may see this post and know what the problem is. Any help with it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
January 12, 2009 8:17:35 AM

Jeff, this looks normal for running a single threaded app like an older game. The core that is doing all the work (core 0) will be a lot hotter than the others. This core will generally be a few degrees hotter even at idle as it will run the background windows processes and will be the first core called into action as soon as you do anything. Also no four cores are the same, so some may run hotter than others anyway. My Q9550 has two cores that run 3-5c hotter than the other pair.
The only thing you might want to do is re-apply the thermal compound - and perhaps invest in a higher grade compound Arctic Silver 5 is generally regarded as the best although I've never used it. With the theraml goo less is more so if you have applied a big dollop then it might be worth removing it (I use white spirit) and re applying following the guide in this link:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5...

This may drop you temp a few degrees. Other than that look at improving airflow.
January 12, 2009 9:16:12 PM

Thank you for the reply. The game I mainly run is Microsoft FSX and the above screen shot is when I am running this program.

I actually purchased the Artic Silver 5 when I acquired the new CPU fan however, it seems I may have applied the paste incorrectly as I have always just spread out a thin coat on top of the CPU and then applied the fan. Removing this Cooler is insanely time consuming (have to actually disasemble the whole computer and unscrew the fan from the back) and now since the temps seem to be consistant and do not fluctuate from above, I may just leave it alone. Unless you think it would be worth it. Thanks again for the help. Jeff
January 13, 2009 8:36:42 AM

Unless you really heaped on the AS5 when you first applied it, you will probably only see a tiny difference in temps if you took it all out cleaned it and then re-applied as per the guide. It would probably run a bit hotter for a while whilst the fresh compound hardens! IMO probably not really worth it if you have to completely disassemble the machine.
January 13, 2009 9:13:34 PM

Kind of what I was thinking. In my book, not really worth it because of everything that has to happen for the motherboard to actually come out. I will just remember to use the above method for applying the Artic Silver on my next CPU.

Thank you again for the advice.
!