Sign in with
Your question

Best WC setup?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2010 1:59:59 AM

I currently have an Intel Core i7-920 that I want to OC to 3.5GHz and higher. I need a good watercooling setup. I currently have a Thermaltake BigWater 780e with a TMG1 rad installed into the loop, for a total of 2 rads.

My idle temp is 45C
My prime95 max temp is about 70C

What's the best setup?

More about : setup

February 4, 2010 2:05:03 AM

thanks for advice. ill consider adding a dual rad to the bottom of my case... hopefully dropping the temp to 30-40C.

BTW what's the best pump?

Is the Tt P500 pump good, or is there something better?
m
l
February 4, 2010 2:16:47 AM

All the fans in my case add up to... 10 fans
140mm front fan, intake
120mm front fan, just behind main intake & hard drives, VGA intake
230mm side fan, intake
Tiny chipset fan, cooler
2 VGA fans, cooler
120mm front radiator fan, intake
120mm top fan, exhaust
120mm rear fan, exhaust
Small PSU fan, cooler/exhaust

I was considering putting a TMG2 dual 120mm rad in the bottom of my case as intake, but for negative pressure I'll put it as exhaust.
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 4, 2010 4:31:51 AM

TT Watercooling. fail.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2010 5:18:24 AM

Seriously dude, you need to sit down and think of your budget before you do anything. You will need $300 for a decent loop. Next do tons of research then buy parts and build.

Read conundrums stickied post at the top of this section. It is a great reference for beginners.
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:38:26 AM

I don't care how much money it costs.

I just need to find out how I am going to gut the LCS and rebuild it.

Then I will buy whatever Tt parts work nice, then Swiftech for everything else.

Might end up being all Swiftech.

I also need to find a good WB.

I already have some thermal compound. OCZ Freeze
m
l
February 6, 2010 2:07:42 AM

So distilled water is better than Thermaltake Coolant 1000? I bought a spare bottle of it with my new LCS.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 6, 2010 4:16:17 AM

Wow, looks like you missed the boat. Yes. I'm really done here. I give up.

Lots come to Toms, lots need to stay here and stay away from forums where peeps know something.

You guys are real idiots, and a few smart folks that try to help here need to find a new home.

Deleting Toms. Coasterman, you finally did it. Idiot.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2010 6:48:27 AM

Wow Conumdrum so are you leaving THF?

I pm'd you on XS BTW.
m
l
a c 147 K Overclocking
February 6, 2010 3:17:47 PM

coasterman said:
I currently have an Intel Core i7-920 that I want to OC to 3.5GHz and higher. I need a good watercooling setup. I currently have a Thermaltake BigWater 780e with a TMG1 rad installed into the loop, for a total of 2 rads.

My idle temp is 45C
My prime95 max temp is about 70C

What's the best setup?

Don't want to discourage you from your proposed course of action but, mostly for the lurkers, just be aware that you don't "need" WC. I'm typing from a 920 box running at 3.7 Ghz OC profile on air (Prolimatech Megashadow) with CPU core temps in low 50's .... We don't hit the 70's until I load the 4.2 Ghz and 4.4 Ghz profiles. Of course lowered voltage (1.125 at 3.7 profile) helps.
m
l
February 7, 2010 4:07:26 PM

Conumdrum said:
Wow, looks like you missed the boat. Yes. I'm really done here. I give up.

Lots come to Toms, lots need to stay here and stay away from forums where peeps know something.

You guys are real idiots, and a few smart folks that try to help here need to find a new home.

Deleting Toms. Coasterman, you finally did it. Idiot.

"Idiot." Hmmm.

I guess I should stay with the crappy water cooler that I have.

I was about to consider spending about $300 on a loop with mostly Swiftech parts.

You detered me by calling me an "Idiot."

You know, look at all the people who have no idea "what the heck a gigahertz is."

They'll go for the cheapest computer possible.

And you call someone that built a computer and "Idiot."

I may as well ignore your advice. And I was about to follow your advice and assemble my own WC loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2010 11:00:39 PM

Dude seriously man...its not you, your just the straw that broke the camels back...

Most users here are angry that people refuse to do their own research.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2010 11:53:14 PM

Quote:

^ ie. Me. I probably would have said some think like what Conumdrum said, but I was in a good mood (no school due to snow w00t!).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 12:00:11 AM

^ Awww lucky ass... i live in texas, no snow days :fou: 

EDIT: BTW dude, check out these nice new pots by piotres...

For a GPU... awesome, huh?

Sorry to jack thread OP.
m
l
February 8, 2010 12:08:31 AM

OK. I think I have my Swiftech LCS loop components picked out.

I'm going to buy them and set up an extreme performance LCS.

An LCS that has the Swiftech Apogee XT 1156/1366 CPU WB in it.
m
l
February 8, 2010 12:10:33 AM

overshocked said:
Dude seriously man...its not you, your just the straw that broke the camels back...

I try to do my own research, but everyone has different opinions. Some make false claims (like Tt0, some give general directions, and some just give total cr@p.
m
l
February 8, 2010 12:17:00 AM

overshocked said:

When I joined the Forum several years ago I didn't know much. I've spent too many hours reading and researching. Now, I rarely post on the forums here because every question has just been answered the day before several times. No one does any research or the simple search function on the forums. They all want to be spoon fed without looking anything up on Google. Most answers can be found from Google very quickly and will save that lazy person the time it takes to create an account here.

I started researching water cooling on my own several months ago and now I finally feel like I can make an educated decision when it comes to picking parts. I did lots of READING and then AND only then I felt I could list the parts that I'd like to make a nice CPU loop with. I can agree with Conundrum that answering the same answers everyday gets old. Thermaltake water cooling provides very low cooling properties. For the money, you might as well stick to an air cooler. A high end water cooling kit will cost around $250-$300. That's just for the CPU only. If you add GPUs double that number if you do full cover water blocks. Read the links the others have posted and you should an idea of what do expect in parts. My rant is done. :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 12:20:30 AM

Try to stay on forums for research, they often have the best guides and are completely honest.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 12:22:07 AM

one-shot said:
When I joined the Forum several years ago I didn't know much. I've spent too many hours reading and researching. Now, I rarely post on the forums here because every question has just been answered the day before several times. No one does any research or the simple search function on the forums. They all want to be spoon fed without looking anything up on Google. Most answers can be found from Google very quickly and will save that lazy person the time it takes to create an account here.

I started researching water cooling on my own several months ago and now I finally feel like I can make an educated decision when it comes to picking parts. I did lots of READING and then AND only then I felt I could list the parts that I'd like to make a nice CPU loop with. I can agree with Conundrum that answering the same answers everyday gets old. Thermaltake water cooling provides very low cooling properties. For the money, you might as well stick to an air cooler. A high end water cooling kit will cost around $250-$300. That's just for the CPU only. If you add GPUs double that number if you do full cover water blocks. Read the links the others have posted and you should an idea of what do expect in parts. My rant is done. :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 

Exactly my point. In the last 2 days i answered the same question on how to set the correct memory frequency for an i7 3 times.

Never once did those people think to look back on previous posts, make me ill. :pfff: 
m
l
February 8, 2010 12:24:40 AM

one-shot said:

Well then why doesn't anyone give suggestions for parts?

Otherwise I need good LCS research sources. Ones that don't lie like Thermaltake. :cry: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 12:27:31 AM

coasterman said:
Well then why doesn't anyone give suggestions for parts?

Otherwise I need good LCS research sources. Ones that don't lie like Thermaltake. :cry: 

Dont trust the manufacturer. AS i said in my precious post.

Google water cooling guide and you will have tons of links that dont come from the manufacturer.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:15:32 AM

overshocked said:
Exactly my point. In the last 2 days i answered the same question on how to set the correct memory frequency for an i7 3 times.

Never once did those people think to look back on previous posts, make me ill. :pfff: 

You must be very sick then. :lol: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 3:15:25 AM

Sick as a dog :D .
m
l
February 8, 2010 4:00:06 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:

^ ie. Me. I probably would have said some think like what Conumdrum said, but I was in a good mood (no school due to snow w00t!).

We just got 6 inches of heavy snow (spent most of my weekend shoveling) but no snow day, we already got some this year though, (you knew that didn't you). Anyway, that's sick, snowdays are always so much fun (or not if you have to shovel and shovel and shovel.

Overshocked, those are some sick GPU pots, can't wait to see what numbers you can post with those. But what you need is a piping system for GPU, CPU, NB etc.. that hooks up all your pots and then to one big opening so you can just keep putting it in.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 4:12:36 AM

The pots arnt mine (yet) i pmd piotres for pricing info, but he hasnt gotten back to me yet. If their a decent price then ill buy a couple of them and a new cpu pot. There so damn shiny its hard for me not to buy them. He uses a design that is like chilley1's (under-the-ice.com for pics) design for phase change evaporators, but he puts it at the bottom of the pot. Great way to conserve space, it just doesnt have that much mass wich may lead to temperature swings when it goes under load.

As for a tubing system for the whole thing, that would be awesome! The only problem is that the intel chips are coldbugged and if you fill the pot as high as the gpu pots your system will turn off. Me and my friend were joking around about having 1 giant pot that covered the entire mobo. :D 
m
l
February 8, 2010 4:17:25 AM

Yeah intel needs to fix that cold bug, and then they could have AMD beat in almost everything (well except price)

What GPU's do you want to use them on, it seems like they would be hard to fit into a sli or crsfire sytem.

BTW to all those flamers, I'm not a hater I run and AMD CPU just saying.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 4:25:14 AM

The new gulftown pre release (6 core) chips dont have a cold bug yet. Nobidy has put them on helium, but every thread i have seen has taken them down to -160 without a problem. Helium is to expensive for non- corporate sponsored events. Costs about 15$/l, where as i can get ln2 for as low as $0.50/L.

I dont know what gpus i would use them on. I would have to get a 5870 or sunthin, wich i dont really want to do right now. Im saving up to start working on a 2-stage cascade for a -70 to -80 24/7 system. (=

EDIT: here is a link to wotklog of pots:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24...
m
l
February 8, 2010 4:32:53 AM

Thats nice, with a six core and a pair of fermi's one could easily break the futuremark record.

Man it seams ln2 prices have dropped (or maybe it's just me)

Helium is pricey and one reason for it is that it's pretty much a non renuable resource and were bound to run out of it at some point.

24/7 cascade system uhh, you gonna do like a madly oc'ed 4 GPU setup for folding. just kidding, buts that sick. This cooling stuff is really gotta hit you in the wallet.

OP sorry for not even answering the question, read lots, get smart, get money, buy it all.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 4:42:41 AM

The moon man, the moon. The moon has a metric *** ton of helium 4. The only way you can get it on earth though is deposits in the ground. After that it goes to the atmosphere and finds its way into space. : /

yeah, the cooling does hit me in the wallet. Cascades are infinetly more expensive than single stage phase systems. Your talkin $800 bucks on the cheap, besides that, its not easy for a high school student to get his hands on alot of the stuff he needs. Its how i have my fun though. Ive liked thermodynamics for a while and in the past year i have been doing some crazy *** in the realm of refrigeration.
m
l
February 8, 2010 4:50:41 AM

Ive noticed your extreme refrigeration, man that's intense for HS student, all that money, and being on the "in" crowd for extreme oc'ing I pegged you at at least college, and I thought I was cool.

Kinda Funny thing is, we just started thermo in AP Physics (yes I'm in high school too:) 

Once we start getting out Helium from the moon, i'm pretty sure prices won't drop, "NASA I need 100 liters of Helium can you help me out?"
"Sure that'll be a couple of mil."

Anyway, I heard somewhere that we'll run out in 20 years, but I have no idea how valid that is now.

Can you even buy Ln2?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:02:37 AM

Yeah man, its hard stuff. Im actually only in bio right now, i think im gunna take chem at the community college over summer break so i can go strait to physics. The thing is, i dont work to well with school. Im in all ap, the probelm is i just couldnt care less about it. Im to distracted with all my phase projects. :)  Hence why im up right now at 1 am cruising the web rather than doing my bio prohect that ive been delaying all weekend.

They gotta find a better way to transport stuff from the moon. I doubt we will run out of helium anytime soon as the government has tons of the stuff stashed away because it is used in mri's to cool it down to superconducting levels.

Btw, sorry for the slow typing, im on my ipod.
m
l
February 8, 2010 5:09:50 AM

No worries procrastination (I can't believe I spelled that right) is the bomb, I'm Trying to read Shakespeare for English (AP too), I already took AP chem and got a 5 on the test :) , so I'm pretty much set for that as it counts for college credit unless I want to get a degree in chemistry.

The feds probably also use helium for supper secret atom splitting bomb projects, but you wouldn't really need that much to split an atom.

And if i'm pestering you too much just say so
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:17:00 AM

Haha, is the thing for shakespeare due tomarrow?

Lol, remeber computronix who used ro post here?
His line of work entailed filling up the mri machines with helium. Awesome job if you ask me.
If i had that job, the company would see a hell of a lot of helium disapear.

Btw: not bothering me at all. I would much rather be doing this than my homework, there is usually no won to talk to on toms at 1am (:
m
l
February 8, 2010 5:28:13 AM

Yeah it's due tomorrow, but if I don't get it done tonight I can sneak it in some other time because English is my last class, and even if I don't finish it, it won't really matter, I'm pretty sure us kids have control of the class.

You remind me of this kid in this chemistry class I think he's pretty smart, but he never really does his work, and all he talks about his computer stuff with this other kid.

Though I'm pretty sure (unlike you) a lot of the stuff he says isn't really right and is just too brag. For instance he said that his laptop (some generic brand i think, GAteway?) could run crisis on high, and I was thinking a powerful desktop has trouple running crysus in 1080x1920 on high. And he was going off about his sick black on black case, and I wanted to be like check out my custom modded case b!t(#
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:36:28 AM

tkgclimb said:
Yeah it's due tomorrow, but if I don't get it done tonight I can sneak it in some other time because English is my last class, and even if I don't finish it, it won't really matter, I'm pretty sure us kids have control of the class.

HAHA!! Sounds like my english class. Nobody does their homework until the period right before. [:jaydeejohn:4]

tkgclimb said:

You remind me of this kid in this chemistry class I think he's pretty smart, but he never really does his work, and all he talks about his computer stuff with this other kid.

Though I'm pretty sure (unlike you) a lot of the stuff he says isn't really right and is just too brag. For instance he said that his laptop (some generic brand i think, GAteway?) could run crisis on high, and I was thinking a powerful desktop has trouple running crysus in 1080x1920 on high. And he was going off about his sick black on black case, and I wanted to be like check out my custom modded case b!t(#

LOL. The kid sounds like me in some respects, i never do my homework, but incidentally i always get like 100's on tests so my homework grades are filled with zeros ):... [:jaydeejohn:5]

I know the feeling of retarded people that think they know about computers. I was talking to this kid at school about his PC and i asked him what cpu he has and he replies (no joke)

"i built it myself"

And im just like "Ok...". I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out telling me that ive been Punk'd. :lol: 
m
l
February 8, 2010 5:45:18 AM

Haha, See my schedule is do history because it's my first class, then do Calculus in advisory (best and most useless thing), do physics in physics, do whatever in calculus, and then hope nobody else in the class did the English homework.

That way I still get good HM scores :bounce: 

Quote:
"i built it myself"

Dude you havn't heard of the new DYI CPU and MOBO kits, they are the next thing, fully customizable and sick. And for the advanced package intel flies you out to their manufacturing plant and you get to draw on the 32nm wafers. :lol: 

BTW do you even run your PC in a case, or is it just sitting out there (where mine is now, gotta get this fricken case done :fou:  )
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:51:46 AM

LOL.

I didnt use a case for a long time (in the summer) because it was so much easier to switch out heat sinks and stuff.

Now i finished my custom case and use that...

Got any pics of your case so far?

EDIT: we have totally jacked this thread. :lol: 

Using a case like this helps heaps and heaps when switching out components. It literally takes me 15 seconds to switch out a video card. With the thumb screws that i have to screw them down.
m
l
February 8, 2010 6:03:50 AM

It makes sense for you to have an open air case, mine isn't really custom as much as a themed mod (the theme is kinda cheezy I've got to admit, but it was fun)

Here's a link to the project log. I have one on TH, but it's not really as good because nobody really cares here. Except for MM's mod's they are sick. I'm talking with zotac right now about a possible m-itx build for them, i've got a sick idea (sorry I don't want to share it for fear of steelers) they are interested in helping me out somehow. If it comes through i'll be sure to post a log here. I just got a notebook hd of ebay for 15$ including shipping hopefully for it. I've got to finish my current one first though.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=181782

I really want to built a WC p55 setup in a tig welded sheet metal cube case, but i'm such a stickler with my money it's never going to happen.

What hardware are you running, I'm assuming thats your i7 920 setup?

Yeah about the jack, some noob (sorry for the deregatory term :pt1cable:  ) is going to see "best WC setup" and a billion posts and be like "this is good stuff" and it will be us two blabering on , gotta love it. I don't think the OP will care though after what happened up top.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 6:16:24 AM

Nice mod dude. Clean cuts on the steel. What are you using there? Oxy-acetelyne?

Ive always thought about doing a sheet metal build, that may be kinda cool.

Have you seen dunieks m-itx build for zotac? its pretty nice.

Yes, im using the 920 with dual 9800 gx2's (i know they need to go) and a x58 classified board.

EDIT: sorry it took me so long to re post, i realized i didnt have the fans on the rad. So i had to go searching for a quiet one so i wont wake up my dad. And we were just talking about reasons why the system will get up to 100c. :lol: 

Thankfully i cought it before it hit 80c.

EDIT 2:

Here are some pics of dunieks zotac cases. He does alot of stuff for companies like that...

m
l
February 8, 2010 6:31:36 AM

Well I have multiple cutting devices, for the aluminum sides it's tedious rotary tool work, for the steel cage and bracket (which was the biggest pain in the @$$) I also used a rotary tool and all my nice bits are now trashed.

For the steel guy I got a cnc plasma cam at my place of somewhat employment, whoowhoo, oxy-acetelyne would be hard to use, especially in a design like that.
Glad you like it though.

I haven't seen that build (well maybe I have), got a link handy.

So QUAD sli (well like it) on 9800's, at least it's powerful. Wait until Fermi comes out, get one of them or get a price dropped 5000 series card, put those GPU blocks on them and rage. You can sell your cards for a bunch to idiots on ebay, I was hopping to score a cheap 9800gtx+ for sli'ing, but no, people paying 100$ for a used one. I can almost get a new one for that much. Maybe I'll sell mine....... Same thing happened to me with memory, only got 2gb of ddr2 and now running win 7 64 bit.

I think's it funny that you have to go searching for quiet fans, it's like benchmarking, high flow, late night low flow. BTW is that one of those swiftech rad/pump in one? just curious.

hey check out my sick new screen saver, i've got to share it with someone who will appreciate it
http://jdandria.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/stewie-hate...

Maybe I'll try to OC my 945 tomarrow, I was having temp problems with it so I sent it to AMD, they gave me a new one (yep hard to believe) and I lapped my CCF and now I get 20 idles (with CnQ enabled, but with old TIM because I was lazy during my latest mobo bios ordeal)

Edit: ohh you got those pictures, just too slow of a typer, well I finished shakespere at least, and didn't understand a thing
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 6:48:42 AM

tkgclimb said:
Well I have multiple cutting devices, for the aluminum sides it's tedious rotary tool work, for the steel cage and bracket (which was the biggest pain in the @$$) I also used a rotary tool and all my nice bits are now trashed.

For the steel guy I got a cnc plasma cam at my place of somewhat employment, whoowhoo, oxy-acetelyne would be hard to use, especially in a design like that.
Glad you like it though.

Yeah, i use oxy acetylene for brazing, well im about to, stuck on MAPP now :pfff: . I hate MAPP! After i bought the oxy-acetelyne torch my dad wouldn't let me buy the oxy acetelyne for me until i got someone to train me on it.

You got a CNC plasma machine at your house?
Any chance you got a CNC mill aswell, me and shadow have been looking for someone with a CNC for months.

tkgclimb said:

I haven't seen that build (well maybe I have), got a link handy.

Here is a crap load of his itx cases, enjoy...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21...

tkgclimb said:

So QUAD sli (well like it) on 9800's, at least it's powerful. Wait until Fermi comes out, get one of them or get a price dropped 5000 series card, put those GPU blocks on them and rage. You can sell your cards for a bunch to idiots on ebay, I was hopping to score a cheap 9800gtx+ for sli'ing, but no, people paying 100$ for a used one. I can almost get a new one for that much. Maybe I'll sell mine....... Same thing happened to me with memory, only got 2gb of ddr2 and now running win 7 64 bit.

I think's it funny that you have to go searching for quiet fans, it's like benchmarking, high flow, late night low flow. BTW is that one of those swiftech rad/pump in one? just curious.

hey check out my sick new screen saver, i've got to share it with someone who will appreciate it
http://jdandria.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/stewie-hate...

Maybe I'll try to OC my 945 tomarrow, I was having temp problems with it so I sent it to AMD, they gave me a new one (yep hard to believe) and I lapped my CCF and now I get 20 idles (with CnQ enabled, but with old TIM because I was lazy during my latest mobo bios ordeal)

Edit: ohh you got those pictures, just too slow of a typer, well I finished shakespere at least, and didn't understand a thing

Yeah, actually last night i was looking at the price of gx2's on ebay. They dont make them anymore, so you can sell em for up
to 200. [:lectrocrew:6] Not sure i would want to invest in a new card though, i like upgrading CPU more. If i bought some new cards, i would buy 3 (or 4 depending on what evga does with fermi) fermi cards then bench on them for a month or so, then sell them.

The WCing system is an h50 that has a 240mm rad (yep im that cool :D )

I cant believe that AMD gave you a new chip after you ovrclocked it. Maybe you should go outside and bench on air (=. Temps outside?

And yes lol, i do have to search my room for a quiet fan lol. You should see my room, its like an overclockers dream room. Its a mess, but everything is at ready supply. I got a dewar next to my desk (for quick access to LN2) and my desk has a couple of taken apart video cards on it, waiting for a volt mod and a re-paste with AS5. Next to those is a set of mini screw drivers and a couple thermoses for short term storage of the n2. My closet has a big box of fans it it, so i had to dig through it to find my not so loud, low RPM 240mm fan.

Glad you finished shakespeare, i was beginning to think you fell asleep as it took you a while to msg back.

HAHA, love the screen saver. My dad just bought a mac last night for coding apps on the iphone. :lol: 
m
l
February 8, 2010 7:01:47 AM

Dude you kinda sound like my hero, no wait you are my hero :bounce: 

no i don't have the cnc plasma (I wish) at my house, it's at a workshop were I work, it's a lower grade one. Shadow already asked me if I could help make him some parts, I told him I might but no gurantees, I think he did it online, just sent him a PM so see whats up. We don't have a mill, but I'm so pro on an etch e sketch that with a good manual mill i could make anything. well not really.

Yeah it was pretty cool about AMD, I think the fact is that they can't tell whether it's been oc'd without looking at the mobo bios (and even then I don't know) I hadn't raised voltages yet. the temps outside are cold here right know it's 27f which is warm, (it's because of all this cloud cover). I think my mom would give me a funny look if I tried oc'ing outside, maybe I'll just put it by the open window.

I just cleaned my room, yours sounds sick, man when you become the oc'ing heavyweight champion of the world, I'll be like dude I once talked with that guy all night on the interweb.

Edit: What is MAPP i googled it and got Motavational assesment of personal potential?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 7:18:43 AM

tkgclimb said:
Dude you kinda sound like my hero, no wait you are my hero :bounce: 

HAHAHA! Thanks man, like i said though, im the laziest kid there ever was when it comes to school. To bad when you apply for college you cant show them the triple stage cascade that you made when you were 15 and say "now how does that bad GPA look now b!tch!

Cascades are like what you learn about in your softmore year of a mechanical engineering class in college. :D 

tkgclimb said:

no i don't have the cnc plasma (I wish) at my house, it's at a workshop were I work, it's a lower grade one. Shadow already asked me if I could help make him some parts, I told him I might but no gurantees, I think he did it online, just sent him a PM to see whats up. We don't have a cnc mill, but I'm so pro on an etch e sketch that with a good manual mill i could make anything. well not really.

Thats awesome dude, your workshop sounds pretty industrial. To bad you dont own the plasma. :whistle: 
You got a manual mill? My workshop isnt to cool, as my dad has more things for wood than metal and everything that i need is for metal. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]
My dad doesnt know thing one about refrigeration to, so it kinda sucks because i have nobody to talk to that is a knowledgeable as me. :??:  Our A/C repair man came here to fix our system and me and him sat around talking for about an hour and a half. :) 

I would like to buy some new machines, unfortunately i dont have the money right now. I gotta get a new job, im not getting enough hours at my current one.

tkgclimb said:

Yeah it was pretty cool about AMD, I think the fact is that they can't tell whether it's been oc'd without looking at the mobo bios (and even then I don't know) I hadn't raised voltages yet. the temps outside are cold here right know it's 27f which is warm, (it's because of all this cloud cover). I think my mom would give me a funny look if I tried oc'ing outside, maybe I'll just put it by the open window.

I just cleaned my room, yours sounds sick, man when you become the oc'ing heavyweight champion of the world, I'll be like dude I once talked with that guy all night on the interweb.

Yeah, not sure dude. I would have thought that they would have some ROM on the chip that kept track of every clock speed change, dont know though. You might have just gotten a really cool RMA guy. :p 

My parents dont care what i do as long as its not something dangerous, and trust me, their finicky. I had to buy a bunch of safety equipment that i never use before i bought any nitrogen.

tkgclimb said:

Hehehe, ill still talk to peeps here if i still get that far. I got a lot of good friends here and still post now even though i spend most of my time on XS and OCN watching people's cascade build logs. The stuff fascinates me.

EDIT: You know who vince is? He is K|ngP|n. He owns a cnc mill and he was streaming live when he was making the stuff... It was so badass*

EDIT 2: MAPP is like the junior version of oxy-acetelyne. I got this piece of crap bernzomatic kit that uses something close to mapp, its called Max Power Propylene. The kit sucks and cant heat the evaporator on the phase change hot enough to get the braze to flow on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas

EDIT 3 (LOL):

The A/C man is really nice, he used to teach a class in college on a/c stuff, but now he is just your general HVAC repair dude.

He told me to call him anytime i need his help for sunthin. Ive never needed to do that, but it is a really nice thing to know when you step into an over sized project. Actually come to think of it, he probably gets a great deal on compressors, mebe ill call him tomarrow.
m
l
February 8, 2010 7:31:15 AM

Bet you schooled that AC guy
Quote:
To bad when you apply for college you cant show them the triple stage cascade that you made when you were 15 and say "now how does that bad GPA look now b!tch!

Cascades are like what you learn about in your softmore year of mechanical engineering class in college. :D 

I really don't know what that means (well I know cascade is a phase change unit that cools stuff right?) and I have the pride to admit it. All these contacts with well known people and all your computer achiemvents at such a young age got to look somewhat good to a computer science school.

Quote:
Thats awesome dude, your workshop sounds pretty industrial. To bad you dont own the plasma. :whistle: 
You got a manual mill?

It's a custom metal fab shop, some cool stuff there, I really like making stuff so it's fun. Our manual mill is more like a drill press it's so old.

Quote:
I would like to buy some new machines, unfortunately i dont have the money right now. I gotta get a new job, im not getting enough hours at my current one.

I've got money for a new system, but 1 I don't need one, and two I'm a stickler, always wanting stuff and always not buying it.

Quote:
Hehehe, ill still talk to peeps here if i still get that far. I got a lot of good friends here and still post now even though i spend most of my time on XS and OCN watching people's cascade build logs. The stuff fascinates me.

EDIT: You know who vince is? He is K|ngP|n. He owns a cnc mill and he was streaming live when he was making the stuff... It was so badass*

Lot's of modders over at bitech got cnc's, and post some cool pictures. I know what you mean by fascinates, (well I'm probably not as obsessed as you), it's just intriguing stuff. BTW what do you want to do after HS, I mean with your cooling and computer skills and all, what else can you do with cascade and refrigeration.

What do you need made with metal and with a cnc, just curious.

Edit: A good deal on stuff is always nice, I now this computer tech guy and asked him if he got good deals on hardware, he doesn't but hey at least I tried. Have you ever thought of getting a job at the AC place, I bet it pays pretty well especially in the Austin summer.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 7:46:33 AM

tkgclimb said:
Bet you schooled that AC guy

Na man, he is really smart. Read my edits in the above post (;

tkgclimb said:

I really don't know what that means (well I know cascade is a phase change unit that cools stuff right?) and I have the pride to admit it. All these contacts with well known people and all your computer achiemvents at such a young age got to look somewhat good to a computer science school.

A cascade is basically designed so that you have one phase change unit with the cold part touching the hot part of a more powerful (second stage) phase change unit.

You need this because the pressure that it would take to compress the second stage gas into a liquid would be so high that it would kill the compressor. (there are other reasons to, but im not gunna get into those, unless you want me to)

The cold part of the first unit helps aid the second stage unit by dropping the condensing temperature and pressure of the second unit. This allows us to use a gas that will boil at a lower temperature than we could have used with only a lonely phase change unit. Lower boiling temperature means a colder CPU. [:jaydeejohn:5] .

tkgclimb said:

It's a custom metal fab shop, some cool stuff there, I really like making stuff so it's fun. Our manual mill is more like a drill press it's so old.

I've got money for a new system, but 1 I don't need one, and two I'm a stickler, always wanting stuff and always not buying it.

LOL, i used to be so tight with money until i discovered the world of cooling systems. I blew through 2 grand pretty fast. [:thegreatgrapeape:5] Ive got a nice drill press here, i wonder if i can open it wide enough to do what i want to do with it.

tkgclimb said:

Lot's of modders over at bitech got cnc's, and post some cool pictures. I know what you mean by fascinates, (well I'm probably not as obsessed as you), it's just intriguing stuff. BTW what do you want to do after HS, I mean with your cooling and computer skills and all, what else can you do with cascade and refrigeration.

There is alot of stuff you can do with so much knowledge. Ive often thought of making a heatsink company, although im not so sure how feasible that plan is. There are some companies that make cascade refrigerators for chefs and biologists who need to store specimins in cryogenic environments for extended periods of time.

tkgclimb said:

What do you need made with metal and with a cnc, just curious.

Ive got a few ln2 pot designs that i wanted to get done, ill pm you some CAD pics if you want? [:mousemonkey:4]
m
l
February 8, 2010 7:57:19 AM

Quote:
You need this because the pressure that it would take to compress the second stage gas into a liquid would be so high that it would kill the compressor. (there are other reasons to, but im not gunna get into those, unless you want me to)

The cold part of the first unit helps aid the second stage unit by dropping the condensing temperature and pressure of the second unit. This allows us to use a gas that will boil at a lower temperature than we could have used with only a lonely phase change unit. Lower boiling temperature means a colder CPU. [:jaydeejohn:5] .

I'll read up on it in my spare time ( :lol:  ) and get back to you with questions, got any good links.

Quote:
Ive got a few ln2 pot designs that i wanted to get done, ill pm you some CAD pics if you want? [:mousemonkey:4]

it might be interesting, but what you should really do is find an online custom shop that will do it for you, and get them made.

I have one cool idea, but it is probably totally unfeasible or has already been tried. Somehow get and open bottomed pot to seal around a cpu (can you picture it) that way the ln2 directly touches it, the seal could be made by heating up the copper and then taking a bad cpu and stamping it out, or maybe with some rubbery stuff that won't crack (it can go solid) at supper cold temps.

Dude I have to go to bed, I got lacrosse tomorrow after school, and I'll be wasted if I stay up too late.

See yah, talk to you later it was fun, :hello: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 8:10:45 AM

Alright man, g'night. I should probably get going on my homework now anyway. And I gotta set up my dads imac tomorrow so... i should probably hit the hay soon as well. Unless i just pulled an all nighter. Ive got some caffeine pills here :lol: 

I looked for an online custom shop for the designs and they quoted me at $840 for a part that should cost $170 or so.

The design where ln2 directly touches the CPU is a bad idea because you need some mass on the base. Otherwise you will have the temp swing from -180 to like -70 when you load the CPU. You need to have some heat capacity to the pot. LN2 has almost no specific heat capacity. So without a bottom you will have nuthin but fail.

Ill compile some links for you to read through it a little bit. And ill send you some pics of my pot designs. (just dont give them to anyone else, highly classified :lol: )

Any way, talk tomarrow at 4am? J/K :lol: 

Night dude, fun talking with you, usually nobody is on when i do my homework. (=
m
l
!