Best WC setup?

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I currently have an Intel Core i7-920 that I want to OC to 3.5GHz and higher. I need a good watercooling setup. I currently have a Thermaltake BigWater 780e with a TMG1 rad installed into the loop, for a total of 2 rads.

My idle temp is 45C
My prime95 max temp is about 70C

What's the best setup?

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
thanks for advice. ill consider adding a dual rad to the bottom of my case... hopefully dropping the temp to 30-40C.

BTW what's the best pump?

Is the Tt P500 pump good, or is there something better?

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
All the fans in my case add up to... 10 fans
140mm front fan, intake
120mm front fan, just behind main intake & hard drives, VGA intake
230mm side fan, intake
Tiny chipset fan, cooler
2 VGA fans, cooler
120mm front radiator fan, intake
120mm top fan, exhaust
120mm rear fan, exhaust
Small PSU fan, cooler/exhaust

I was considering putting a TMG2 dual 120mm rad in the bottom of my case as intake, but for negative pressure I'll put it as exhaust.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Seriously dude, you need to sit down and think of your budget before you do anything. You will need $300 for a decent loop. Next do tons of research then buy parts and build.

Read conundrums stickied post at the top of this section. It is a great reference for beginners.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't care how much money it costs.

I just need to find out how I am going to gut the LCS and rebuild it.

Then I will buy whatever Tt parts work nice, then Swiftech for everything else.

Might end up being all Swiftech.

I also need to find a good WB.

I already have some thermal compound. OCZ Freeze

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Wow, looks like you missed the boat. Yes. I'm really done here. I give up.

Lots come to Toms, lots need to stay here and stay away from forums where peeps know something.

You guys are real idiots, and a few smart folks that try to help here need to find a new home.

Deleting Toms. Coasterman, you finally did it. Idiot.

Don't want to discourage you from your proposed course of action but, mostly for the lurkers, just be aware that you don't "need" WC. I'm typing from a 920 box running at 3.7 Ghz OC profile on air (Prolimatech Megashadow) with CPU core temps in low 50's .... We don't hit the 70's until I load the 4.2 Ghz and 4.4 Ghz profiles. Of course lowered voltage (1.125 at 3.7 profile) helps.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

"Idiot." Hmmm.

I guess I should stay with the crappy water cooler that I have.

I was about to consider spending about $300 on a loop with mostly Swiftech parts.

You detered me by calling me an "Idiot."

You know, look at all the people who have no idea "what the heck a gigahertz is."

They'll go for the cheapest computer possible.

And you call someone that built a computer and "Idiot."

I may as well ignore your advice. And I was about to follow your advice and assemble my own WC loop.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
^ Awww lucky ass... i live in texas, no snow days :fou:

EDIT: BTW dude, check out these nice new pots by piotres...

4.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

For a GPU... awesome, huh?

Sorry to jack thread OP.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
OK. I think I have my Swiftech LCS loop components picked out.

I'm going to buy them and set up an extreme performance LCS.

An LCS that has the Swiftech Apogee XT 1156/1366 CPU WB in it.

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I try to do my own research, but everyone has different opinions. Some make false claims (like Tt0, some give general directions, and some just give total cr@p.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

When I joined the Forum several years ago I didn't know much. I've spent too many hours reading and researching. Now, I rarely post on the forums here because every question has just been answered the day before several times. No one does any research or the simple search function on the forums. They all want to be spoon fed without looking anything up on Google. Most answers can be found from Google very quickly and will save that lazy person the time it takes to create an account here.

I started researching water cooling on my own several months ago and now I finally feel like I can make an educated decision when it comes to picking parts. I did lots of READING and then AND only then I felt I could list the parts that I'd like to make a nice CPU loop with. I can agree with Conundrum that answering the same answers everyday gets old. Thermaltake water cooling provides very low cooling properties. For the money, you might as well stick to an air cooler. A high end water cooling kit will cost around $250-$300. That's just for the CPU only. If you add GPUs double that number if you do full cover water blocks. Read the links the others have posted and you should an idea of what do expect in parts. My rant is done. :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Exactly my point. In the last 2 days i answered the same question on how to set the correct memory frequency for an i7 3 times.

Never once did those people think to look back on previous posts, make me ill. :pfff:

coasterman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Well then why doesn't anyone give suggestions for parts?

Otherwise I need good LCS research sources. Ones that don't lie like Thermaltake. :cry:

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Dont trust the manufacturer. AS i said in my precious post.

Google water cooling guide and you will have tons of links that dont come from the manufacturer.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

You must be very sick then. :lol:

Latest posts