No display after switching PCIE slots

G

When I first got my pair of PNY GTX 260s I installed them in the first two slots. This left me with poor airflow, so the cards ran fairly hot. Also, I was using a pair of single molex to 6 pin adapters to power the cards since my PSU only has 2 6 pin plugs. Today I decided to put the cards in the first and third slots on my motherboard for better airflow. While doing that, I swapped one of the single molex to 6 pin adapters out for a double molex to 6 pin adapter, since I'd heard that the single molex ones don't give full power to the cards. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't start and there was a red light in the back of my PSU. I went in, and reconnected the old single molex adapter. After that it started up, all the lights came on, but I had no display. I tried resetting the bios and got nothing. I also tried taking out one of the cards and still got nothing. I'm going to try putting the cards back in the same slots, but I don't have very high hopes. Any ideas?

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
When you say "it started up...had no display" do you get bios screen then no OS, or nothing at all?
Triple check your connections, put everything back to the initial way when it was working. Worst case basis, unplug everything, including hard drives, only run with motherboard, cpu, 1 stick or ram, one gpu and psu. Try to get it to display the bios.
If it displays in bios but not for the os, try to boot to safe mode, uninstall drivers, reboot, install drivers, reboot. should be good to go.

G

I don't get anything on the screen at all. I'm not at the computer right now, but I'll try disconnecting parts when I do.

G

No, nothing displayed even after I put both cards back in. The only thing right now physically different about the system is the location of the hard drive.

chuckels59h

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Try reseating the memory, I've run into this before several times, if that doesn't work, unplug the hardrive and see if it gets video. I'll bet it will, then boot down and make sure the hardrive is plugged in correctlly. More than likelly it's the memory unseated when the cards were swapped. Good luck.