Sign in with
Your question

DELL VS HomeBuilt

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2008 6:19:08 AM

Okay, So I'm about to buy this list of gear to do a homebuilt PC. I already have a MSI NX 8600-GTS Vid card and OCZ PC2 6400 2x2GB ram and a pioneer DVD RW.

I'm about to buy
Antec 900 Case
Intel core 2 duo E7200 Wolfdale
ASUS P5Q Pro mobo
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
WD WD6400AAKS 640gb HDD

Total for about to purchase list $548 - $35 MIB so $515 after tax, plus I still need OS.

At costco, I can get a Dell 530 which is:
* Intel Q6600
* 4Gb DDR2 SDRam
* 320gb 7200 HDD
* 16x DVD-rw
* keyboard & mouse
* Integrated Video (but I already have a video card)
* Microsoft Works
* DELL 2-YEAR Warranty

Total $599 + Tax so like $650. Thats an extra 100 bucks for the Q6600, OS and Warranty, I see the PSU is only a 300 watt though.

Your thoughts???

More about : dell homebuilt

October 15, 2008 6:24:07 AM

dell will give you a crappy case, power supply and motherboard. If you downgraded those parts you could easily get in the price range the dell is in, but it wouldn't be worth it. build yourself and you also get a better overall warranty on you parts. (as long as your computer savy)
October 15, 2008 8:46:50 AM

Good points of getting the Dell
1. warranty and support
2. Q6600

Bad points of getting the Dell
1. integrated graphics
2. 300w power supply that you'd probably have to replace for a decent gaming card.
3. no overclocking
4. poor cooling
5. difficult upgradeability

If you're never going to overclock, if you're not a gamer then the Dell might be a good choice. If you do plan on gaming and you'd like to overclock, then homebuild one.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2008 10:52:28 AM

^great answer.
October 15, 2008 3:57:38 PM

Integrated Graphics doesn't matter, I already have a MSI 8600GTS

Yes power supply sucks.

I multi-task, Quickbooks, outlook, a few iExplorers some drawing software (like CAD) or Programming software.

I sometimes play WoW, thats about it.

But, I went ahead and ordered the parts last night, some great combos with E7200 and ANtec 900 Case today, save about $90 instant.

ANd the Corsair 650W power with Gigabyte P45 Board (around $110 board)
Combo saves$20 plus MIB.

Where can I get a cheap copy of XP
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2008 4:20:01 PM

Good choice on building your own.
You also don't get a system loaded with "bloatware".

Shopping tips for Vista:
1) Do you qualify for an academic license?
If so, you can get Vista at a discounted price.
2) Look for an upgrade version of home premium instead of OEM.
Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
For $10, microsoft will send you the 64 bit DVD.
I saw Vista home premium upgrade recently at Costco for $85, amazon for $89.
There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install vista from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code.

Just tell the install which version you bought, and do not activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional vista for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the cd again, while running vista and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

Vista 64 is very good, particularly with 4gb. Don't believe the FUD about Vista. For a humorous insight, google "mojave experiment"

---good luck---

October 15, 2008 5:00:45 PM

Note: Just don't use "eBay" to look for "legal" copies of XP.
It's littered with fake stuff that looks real good.

October 15, 2008 5:21:42 PM

If you are a student you can get a copy of windows server 2008 for free from Microsoft. It takes some extensive changes, but it can be made too perform like vista. It doesn't have media center or any games though.
October 15, 2008 5:23:40 PM

Yeah I would pick up the 64 bit OS from newegg.
+1 Vista Home Premium

If you can get it from a university that would be great, but right now most universities seem slow to pick up on x64 bit as far as offering it to students for cheap. At least my university is anyways. >:o 
October 15, 2008 5:30:59 PM

Or download a pirated version and then when it fails the WGA thing it will direct you to MS's site where they will sell it to you at a discount...

I always thought that it was odd to offer pirates a discount.
October 15, 2008 5:50:13 PM

njalterio said:
Yeah I would pick up the 64 bit OS from newegg.
+1 Vista Home Premium

QFT

+1 for Home Premium 64 bit OEM copy
October 15, 2008 5:56:26 PM

+2 for Premium...Microcenter has it for $79.99.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0294708

This works perfectly fine if you don't plan on upgrading your hardware very often. Otherwise, I think you will have to call Redmond, WA to tell them to update your activation if you swap out your board, etc...

Still...64 bit Vista SP1...If XP64 were cheaper (and supported longer) I would recommend that.
October 15, 2008 9:42:47 PM

Okay, I will be trying to get Vista 64. I actually own a copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit, I got it free at a training that microsoft did at a trade show i went to last year.

I also have Vista on my laptop and for the most part everything is great. I will need a copy of XP though because some of the programming software that I use just doesn't work with Vista, the MFG doesn't care b/c it is for devices that are being discontinued, BUT i still have to service the ones I have already sold....whew.

Also, i need a very inexpensive desktop, keyboard, mouse, Monitor. I don't want complete crap, but would like to keep it cheap. For something like this would you suggest just getting like an
* ACER $500 combo with Dual Core AMD, 2gb ram a 300Gb ish HDD and 19" LCD for $499

OR can I build a PC for this price also, with keyboard and LCD?
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2008 11:54:45 PM

coryburgess said:
Okay, I will be trying to get Vista 64. I actually own a copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit, I got it free at a training that microsoft did at a trade show i went to last year.
If you already own a copy Vista32 I don't think anyone will fault you for using that instead of spending $100 more for .5GB extra memory address space.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2008 1:04:45 AM

If it is not an oem license, Microsoft will send you a 64 bit dvd for a handling charge of $10. Even if it is, you might try anyway.
!