G

Hi there,

I recently built my PC and have the following:
- M4A79XTD Evo
- AMD 955 3.2 MBOX
- CoolerMaster 212
- 2x 2gb Corsair xms3
- Corsair 750TX PSU

I managed to get this nice and stable to 3.8GHz (only changed (200)x19 @1.42v)
temp is sweet, ~41 idle and ~51 full load with only 1 additional Fan in my CM 690

I have 2 things to ask.

One,
Help me get this to 4.0 stable because i know this baby can do it. I successfully overclocked processors
before but no rly a pro.. maybe change cpu/nb? HT? i tried slowly going to (200)x20 and voltages up to 1.5 but
keeps crashing on loading win anyway. Please describe in steps what's needed to stabilize this up to 4.0GHz

Two,
Do you find my above stated temperatures weird? I mean I'm really happy with having only 51 on full load (30+ mins)
but comparing that, 41 idle seems little high? I love this CM 212 and i have Q-fan on running it always on ~1200rpm

I Hope XPed ppl or some1 with same processor will find this task easy.
Thanks!

G

Yep Stepping is 3

But i think this baby can rly cool nicely for 4.0 results.
I even saw 3.8 on 1.5v with auto settings and never went above 52c degrees

G

78438359.jpg

G

Nothing... it's on default 2000
Should i go up with that?

96707637.jpg

I must admit, I'm happy with this result... just wanna see this proc stretch it legs because I know it can.. just know it.
Crashing I'm having above this is probably somewhere where i have no experience. That's why i need advice.

Btw is this normal to have such high latencies? From the box Memory is C9 but everything is on auto in my bios when
it comes to Mem Latency.

It's best to set the HT to 1GHz (5x) in order to achieve stability when overclocking. Once you have settled on a final CPU overclock then you can try raising the HT back up. The thermal diode was not properly calibrated till the 965BE, so your temp readings may be a little off :D. As for the RAM it probably needs more voltage to run at lower latencies. You have to set those manually in the BIOS.

Nothing... it's on default 2000
Should i go up with that?

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5082/96707637.jpg

I must admit, I'm happy with this result... just wanna see this proc stretch it legs because I know it can.. just know it.
Crashing I'm having above this is probably somewhere where i have no experience. That's why i need advice.

Btw is this normal to have such high latencies? From the box Memory is C9 but everything is on auto in my bios when
it comes to Mem Latency.

If you want to hit 4Ghz you need to make a few adjustments. For example the CPU/NB Frequency and HT needs to be around 2400/2600Mhz to get a stable sytem at 4Ghz. Here is an example of what I use for my x4 B50....

001.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

before you do any overclocking you need to make sure your RAM is 100% stable, meaning make sure you key in the correct values as specified by the manufacturer.

The CPU temps varies depending on Case/Cable Management/Airflow/Ambient Temp... A 212 should achieve mid to high 40's at 3.8Ghz. You might want to check your cooler, it might need to be re-pasted and re-seated.. The C3 stepping runs about 2/3c cooler than the C2's =)

At 3.9Ghz my CPU idles at 30c and maxes out at 43c, of course it is winter here and once summer arrives the temps will rise by at least 4/5c ....

G

Clocking)
Thx, I'll try those settings tonight.
So is it safe just to move HT to 2400/2600 just like that? Voltage on NB too?

Mem)
I played with memory last night.. Actually, I LOWERED latencies to factory spec. 9.9.9.24. its working stable on default voltage!

Temp)
As for heat... that's the thing see.. I like mi high temps.. (even tho its winter it's nice and hot in my room, using only 1 fan in case, cpu 120 fan is only doing 1100rpm)
Actually I have everything very well organized in there when it comes to cables.
I'll even throw in 1 extra fan above cpu to throw air out tomorrow. and one on the side to blow on mem/nb/gpu.
Temps are usually 48-50, max I saw is 52 on stress test but idle seems kinda high (38-39atm)
I'm using CM thermal paste that came with 212 btw. I have nice thin layer but its spread across proc surface evenly I double checked.
I'm just saying, temperature is not the problem really.. I can handle that one way or another, its easy..
.. 4.0 stable is my goal

Everyone, thx for all the help so far.

G

oookkk.... so this is what i achieved. i managed to hit 4.0 stable at idle but restarted after 4 min of stress test.
200x20, CPU 1.500v, NB 2400, HT 2000, Memory 9-9-9-24 @ 1.6v.. temp was 53c on restart.

I guess this can be stable with all the voltage, NB, HT tweaking. And I think my CM 212 can handle the temp just fine.

Even if i can get it to be stable with all your help I don't mind running it nice and stable at 3.8 like this.
If you still have any more advices what can be changed here to get it stable, please post. I'd love to hear it and learn. try even..

Thanks everyone for all the help.

ozzydt

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hi there, this has noting to do with OCing, but I'm planning to get a 955 stepping c3 (MBOX) and a ASUS M4A79XTD Evo, but I don't know about compatibility issues, found a review from a customer on newegg and he says that the new AMD CPUs doesn't boot on that MB unless you update your BIOS, but you need another CPU (c2 maybe) to do this, what's your experience on this? and what memory is perfect for this setup, I'm thinking corsair xms3 TW3X4G1333C9A and a sapphire 5770 card, the Vapor-X would be perfect fit but is getting hard this days to get one. All this powered by a corsair 650 psu. Any recommendations? would appreciate your help on this :ange:

PM me, this thread is dead ;)