Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Help!] Monitor goes black, computer stays on

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2008 8:41:37 PM

I'm trying to figure out the problem here, but I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to fixing computer hardware problems. Hoping one of you or some of you could help. This is what happens.

I launch a game, say, WoW or Call of Duty, and soon after, usually within a minute, my monitor goes black, enters sort of a "stand-by mode", and my computer stays on. I turn my monitor off and then back on, and I am met by the Test screen that says "Monitor Test. Your monitor is working fine. Check the cables." or something along those lines. I have unplugged the cable at both ends and re-inserted it, but to no success. If I reboot my computer the display will return but the same problem still occurs.

I noticed last time, or at least I think I noticed that the sound seems to freeze when this happens, and then it dims down. The computer also tones down a bit in sound intensity and it seems like something is shutting down inside of it.

I really would like to find a resolution. This just started happening today, November 11th. :cry: 

P.S. Sometimes, even without launching a game, my monitor will eventually go black and I'll have to reboot then rinse and repeat

P.S.S. I'm open to any further questions if it means getting closer to a solution.
November 11, 2008 9:02:45 PM

Give us your full system specs. As it is I'd say that your GPU is dying. Maybe just video ram overheating. Without more details I cant tell you for sure.

At best you have heating/low PSU problem.
At worst, your GPU is dead/dying.
Or something in between
November 11, 2008 9:48:11 PM

Here are my system specs:

Pentium IV 3.0ghz
Corsair 1GB RAM / Dell Generic 2 x 256MB, Total of 1.5GB
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB
80gb Hard Drive
Generic Dell MOBO
SB Audigy 2 Sound Card

If you need more detailed specs, let me know. I'm not exactly sure how to get them but if you could tell me I'd have no problem doing it :p 

My computer is a Dell (-_-) Dimension 4700. I have upgraded the RAM (That 1GB Corsair stick) and the video card (7600gt).

Ironically, the newest part on my computer is the 7600GT.
Related resources
November 11, 2008 10:14:43 PM

It has now reached the point that I can no longer make it as far as the desktop without the monitor blanking out, and then going to the system message with red/green/blue bars that says:

Your monitor is working. Check the video cable and ...

This is not good. I am typing from a separate computer which I cannot use as a replacement, as it's not my computer.
a c 164 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2008 10:19:35 PM

Download Rivatuner and CPU-Z. use Google to find `em!
Use them to check your system temperatures and cooling fans for correct operation. I suspect your CPU is overheating. Nothing much to worry about, but the heatsink will need to be cleaned-out to correct the problem.
November 11, 2008 10:23:59 PM

How am I going to uhh get to Google to download these when I can't even get to my desktop? :( 

I was running the Nvidia Monitor earlier so I do know that my Video Card was hovering at around 49 C, although it dropped to 46 C. My case door was open during these, and I recall checking the card a few months ago and temps clocking in at around 62 C. Either Nvidia fixed their software or that thing cooled down a lot.
November 11, 2008 10:32:30 PM

Try the old video card.
It could be the monitor going bad.
I would not suspect the gpu
though it is possible that the psu is starting to go bad
look at your temps and voltages
November 11, 2008 11:27:53 PM

Well I managed to find my old video card, put it in, and now I'm able to get onto the desktop. I'll see if launching a game still causes the problem.

Edit: After I put in the video card and started up, I can't connect to the internet for some reason >_<
November 12, 2008 1:42:43 AM

When I took out my video card I noticed something.

This part of the card I circled here:

appeared to be melted and corroded, and some parts on the top were rough.

However, as I said in the post before this one, with the new card in, I for some reason can't connect to the internet. I made sure all my drivers were updated, and it says that my network card is working fine, but when I try to add a new connection, it says that the hardware is not plugged in.

This is what happened today, it seems strange:

Today at 12PM everything on my computer was running fine. The video card, and the internet. Then later, when I was playing WoW, my monitor went black and I had to restart. The display came up after a restart, and it didn't malfunction again until I launched Call of Duty: World at War. Then I restarted and it worked fine until crashing again when I reattempted to launch World at War.

So I took the card out and replaced it with my old card and the display came up fine. I installed the drivers and I am now able to access all my files and my desktop. But fixing the first problem created a new one. Now I cannot connect to the internet. I'm hardwired to my router, not using a wireless network.

Could this all be a motherboard problem?

Is my video card toasted?
November 12, 2008 2:11:51 AM

enmar884 said:
When I took out my video card I noticed something.

This part of the card I circled here:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2w7kgsg.png

appeared to be melted and corroded, and some parts on the top were rough.

However, as I said in the post before this one, with the new card in, I for some reason can't connect to the internet. I made sure all my drivers were updated, and it says that my network card is working fine, but when I try to add a new connection, it says that the hardware is not plugged in.

This is what happened today, it seems strange:

Today at 12PM everything on my computer was running fine. The video card, and the internet. Then later, when I was playing WoW, my monitor went black and I had to restart. The display came up after a restart, and it didn't malfunction again until I launched Call of Duty: World at War. Then I restarted and it worked fine until crashing again when I reattempted to launch World at War.

So I took the card out and replaced it with my old card and the display came up fine. I installed the drivers and I am now able to access all my files and my desktop. But fixing the first problem created a new one. Now I cannot connect to the internet. I'm hardwired to my router, not using a wireless network.

Could this all be a motherboard problem?

Is my video card toasted?

WELL from over here,the circled part on your video card looks like a power rectifier [it's a type of transistor] if that part is toasted,then,so is your card,had one go on my 8800gt only it was an ferrite core [the little 3 or 4 pinned black squares],also it could be that your original psu just can't cut the mustard any more,I strongly urge you to ,at your earliest convenience,replace that whole system,I believe that putting any more money into it would ,in the end,be a lost cause,as you would just get one problem after another,,:( ...
November 12, 2008 6:01:28 PM

Here are two pictures of my card I just took. Although the card is no longer the problem because I replaced it with an older one, I'm hoping these pictures will allow one of you to tell me if my card is, in fact, totalled.

The close-up:

The full card, not that it helps any :p 

a c 164 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2008 7:28:40 PM

ENMAR884: I type soooo slowly, I was typing about Rivatuner and CPU-Z and you posted about not getting to the desktop while I was at it (check the timings).
The card is toast and I doubt it`s possible, much less viable to repair it.
Maybe it`s still under warranty?;)
When you uninstalled/installed, did you use driversweeper to clean out the drivers fully? Both ATI and Nvidia are notorious for poor uninstalls that leave all sorts of crud behind, crud that can impact on other hardware, like routers?
November 12, 2008 7:33:23 PM

Nope, I sure didn't. I would have never thought of this possibility. I'll go ahead and download it onto my USB drive from this computer and give it a go on my computer.
November 12, 2008 7:55:56 PM

I cleared out the Nvidia files and restarted, but I'm still not getting a connection :( 

I'll look aroound for my wireless adapter installation CD and see if I can connect with that.
August 4, 2010 7:27:07 AM

OK i've been experiencing the same problems about my screen going BLACK at random intervals when playing WOW only, screen goes black as in standby mode and was forced to d a manual reboot aswell ast eh sound also coming started taking a very fast loop. It works just fine on every other game that i play (NFS Shift, DOW2CR, Leage of Legends etc). The problem seemed only to be with WOW.

So here is what i started doing, dont know if this might help you or not but i've corrected my computer from this BSOD (Black Screen of Death).

Initially when i started having this problem i thought that my mobo was at fault since my previous board had been with me for 4 years or so and so it was time to upgrade also. So without further waste i changed my mobo. To my surprise the problem still was there. Browsed through a couple of forums and some people were going on about faulty hardware like RAMS so i had my rams changed too. And the problem was still there in WOW. Can go black in 10 minutes or if i'm lucky 10 hours.
Anyways then i thought that it was my PSU and it had gone through its lief so i changed that too. From a 300w to a Cooler Master 460w power supply with two 12v rails or 12v each. And the problem was still right infront of me. By this time i was pretty much in a state to take my monitor and throw it out the window.
It was perhaps then i realized that after doing all the unnecessary stuff i had overlooked the most important thing and that is the Graphics Card. I was using an ATI Radeon 2600HD Pro 512mb DDR2 at that time just a couple of months back. So i sold that and got me a better one MSI N9600gt OC edition 512mb DDR3. I found massive increase in the quality of my games but when i turned on WOW and WHAM it took me right in the kisser BSOD!!!
Now i thought that my GPU was faulty but how could i come to acknowledge that ? I could not to be honest since my other games were working on max settings. Anyways i lowered the graphics and all to an all time low AND if i started to increase the graphics after that WOW would crash immediately. This helped me. My resetting intervals were a little less but the pain is still there when having changed almost everything on your computer and you keep on getting the same results.
By this time i was about to end my subscription to WOW.
And so came one faithful day. Since i was having this trouble i started tinkering with the resolution of my game. I run my desktop on 1280x1024 res with 85hz as refresh rate however i was running wow on 800x600. It was working fine initially until i started having those BSOD's. I then changed my res to 1024x768 and still there was the same problem.

(note: I HAD UPGRADED THE BIOS FOR MY MOTHERBOARD BEFORE GOING THROUGH THE THE WHOLE PROCESS MENTIONED UNDER)

AND THEN I CHANGED MY RES TO WHAT I HAD ON MY DESKTOP to 1280x1024. This actually helped me in more ways then i could have imagined. My game was all running smooth now, It was covering all space on the screen where as before it was leaving half an inch from both sides of the screen as black space which was annoying but not something i could help myself to take concern for. Since i realized that my game was running so smooth now i started changing my video graphics for wow maximizing them one by one. Before on less resolution when i would do this my WOW would cash immediately but now it was acting all nice and obedient. I wondered why ^^.

Anyways i maxed 1 setting at a time on my WOW and would go inside and play and then come out again and max some other settings and now i was getting really impatient doing 1 thing at a time so i did quiet a few of them this time :D  and it was working like a charm. I was now having LEGENDARY graphics. It has been 1 whole day and i've not had that BSOD hit me on the face.

So my CONCLUSION is that anyone having this problem should try to do the same if they have this problem when playing WOW only. People saying things about cpu getting overheated and gpu getting overheated can also be the culprits but since changing almost every part in my system i have to know that the hardware was not at fault. I will post again if i get the BSOD while playing wow and if i do not then consider this the first and final post for this topic from my side.

I hope this helps someone :D 

My previous hardware specs are :
cpu 3.0ghz HT cedar mill
ati radeon 2600hd pro
1g ram 226bus (very crappy indeed :D )
200g HD space
300w normal psu
motherboard INTEL 101GGC2 then i changed to
MSI p4m900m2

My new rig was having :
Dual Core E6500
Msi N9600gt OC 512mb DDR3
2g OCZ ram 800bus
Cooler Master 460w PSU
ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard (i upgraded the bios for this motherboard and not the previous ones)
Same HD as above

MY CASE IS ALWAYS OPEN SO I KNOW HEATING IS NOT AN ISSUE I HAVE TO FACE though i do monitor temps always and they're always normal :D 
August 4, 2010 2:28:25 PM

arsalaan, you would be better served by creating your own thread in the forums. The last person to respond to this thread before you was nearly two years ago.
!