Procedure for Backing up/Reinstalling Palm Desktop

March 21, 2005 2:33:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.palm,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I have a user running Palm software on win XP Home. He and his wife have
separeate windows accounts but
right now access his palm stuff only from his account.
Basically the whole isntallation is a mess. When try to open the Palm
Desktop get
messages that contacts and calendar can't be accessed etc. At this point the
easiest thing is to
reinstall the whole thing from scratch in my opinion.

So here is what im planning to do:
1. Backup the JohnS and JaneS folders from Palm directory somewhere else on
the drive.
2. Uninstalling Palm completely and even deleting the palm folder form
Program Files.
3. Reinstalling Palm for JohnS account and then reinstalling Palm in JaneS
account so that they now have separate
installations.
4. Now, how do I add the folder back to the palm folder? Do I just copy and
paste them back? Or would it be better
to resynch from Palm to the laptop?

I'm pretty new to palmtops so please excuse my ingorance..

Thank You
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:29:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.palm,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

It would be better to install the Palm Desktop under an Admin account,
accessible for all accounts. Both would use the same software but would
have different accounts within that software.

Palm Desktop does not use the XP User Settings the way most programs do
but maintains its own users in a sub-directory within the Program
File/Palm directory.

!