how do i get rid of icons on a limited account as the admin

i want to remove icons on a limited user account set up by me....i want to be
able to take certain files and icons off their desktop....please help? i went
to the tech discussions and they mentioned something about domain...i
followed instructions but to no avail as the button described was not there.
I want this account a clean desktop for the kids to set up themselves with my
help.
--
harry

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:54:01 -0700, canicheckurgspot wrote:

> i want to remove icons on a limited user account set up by me....i want to be
> able to take certain files and icons off their desktop....please help? i went
> to the tech discussions and they mentioned something about domain...i
> followed instructions but to no avail as the button described was not there.
> I want this account a clean desktop for the kids to set up themselves with my
> help.

I don't know what the directions for the domain were for. Not a common
setup for a home computer or a home network. So will skip to another
approach...

The desktop icons shown on any desktop are taken from two folders:
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
\Documents and Settings\<current user's account>\Desktop

<current user's account> being the account that is currently logged on.
Your desktop icons are in
\Documents and Settings\<your account>\Desktop
The kids' icons will be in their folder:
\Documents and Settings\<kids account>\Desktop

Since any icon in the All Users' desktop folder will show up for any user
logged on, that's where you should start. If there are icons in this folder
that you do not want on the kids' desktop, move them to your account's
desktop folder (so that they will still show up on your desktop).

There is one more folder to take a look at:
\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop\

"Default User" is a template account. Anything in these folders
automatically becomes a part of any newly created account. You have choices
here. Either manually delete the icons from the new user's account after
it's created OR delete the icons from Default User desktop folder so that
they are never added to any newly created account.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi,

What you see in the desktop is a reflection of the windows shell (My
Computer, My Network Places, My Documents, and IE) and these folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Desktop

Those in the All Users desktop will be there for everyone, those in the
user's desktop will only appear for that user.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"canicheckurgspot" <canicheckurgspot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:76C8B0E3-9456-47D0-BC6A-A452DA3624E4@microsoft.com...
>i want to remove icons on a limited user account set up by me....i want to
>be
> able to take certain files and icons off their desktop....please help? i
> went
> to the tech discussions and they mentioned something about domain...i
> followed instructions but to no avail as the button described was not
> there.
> I want this account a clean desktop for the kids to set up themselves with
> my
> help.
> --
> harry