old single core outperforming homebuilt quadcore. :(

diabolical81

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
ok so im installing a patch for world of warcraft

on my old compaq laptop that overheats if you just look at it it took 30 minutes or so to install the 1.5gb patch
1.8ghz single core amd processor
its running vista off 1 gb ram
has an ati mobility videocard
again it took about 30 minutes to install

my homebuilt system
2.4ghz intel q6600 quadcore
4gb dual channel ram
8800gt geforce videocard

it's been about 3 hours now and its only at 16%

wtf... whats going on? any ideas? anything i can check?

diabolical81

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
the hard drive was reformatted
its pata, no i have not upgraded anything in regards to the motherboard

no i just installed and booted.

looking at the task manager its showing under 30% cpu usage with plenty of free memory so it wouldnt seem im running too many processes.

when you talk about the mobo are you suggesting it could need to be flashed? or just drivers may need installing.

diabolical81

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
another issue is that it takes wow a long time to draw the screen when i log in. i have everything at max settings but it runs fine once everything is fine.

the old crappy laptop with the ati mobility draws the screen quicker and neither systems have any mods or ui changes.

I wouldnt mind checking for bios updates but I just don't get it.

diabolical81

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
i do run avast in the background. Im about to go to bed but will look at the mobos website tomorrow for updates,

which reminds me i may need to update the videocard anyway. the install will be done by then so no real way to tell unless i want to reinstall the patch lol..

but if i have updates, anything is worth trying, waiting all this time to play on my main pc is ridiculous

jludvig

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Might help to simply disable the real time virus protection while installing - it sounds like more than just a virus scanner interfering though.
You should probably check your harddrive performance using a benchmark like HDtach, post your speeds and access times - write speeds are obviously important for your specific problem. If the harddrive is oldish you should consider upgrading. Very cheap way of adding life to an older system - get one of the cheap two platter 640gig drives by samsung or WD.

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
FYI - WoW patch times VISTA vs XP.

VISTA(64 bit) 4GB, Q6600, 3hrs total. (No Firewall, No AV and no Boinc Seti)

XP 2GB E6400, 20 minus total. (FIREWALL, AV, and BOINC/SETI)

The interesting thing was I started the download on VISTA 30 mins before the XP one.

The XP one finished over an hour sooner. The download on the Vista machine took many times as long as the XP one. The Vista update too about twice as long as the XP one.

The XP and Vista run the same AV and firewall software. I disabled the AV and firewall on the Vista one thinking they were causing a problem. I also terminated BOINC/SETI on VISTA