I7 860 on Asus Maximus III Formula

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
:hello: Hey guys, I have recently build myself a Core i7 860 rig on an Asus Maximus III Formula board.

I have a *little* experience overclocking, and have read through a lot of the forums in reference to OC'ing this chip--but not for this particular board.

Anyone have experience on this board (or a similar Asus board) with suggestions on the specs they've used to achieve a fairly "spicy" overclock??

I am using a Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler, and Corsair 850HX PSU, so I am confident I have ample cooling and stable power to run at least 3.4ghz but naturally, that will need testing.

I am also using Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 2000mhz memory, but I am willing to sacrifice a bit on memory speed for tighter timings if possible. Just looking for suggestions is all :)

Thanks in advance!

G

Hi,
I can`t help you in the overclock department but what I would like to add is that I also have found it hard to get any info for the i7 860 on this forum.
It seems either this cpu is too young and people are still trying this cpu out but I also think a lot of people on here have invested their time and money on the i7 920 and think the i7 860 and the 1156 socket is dead before it has started.
Simpley put, they prefere the 1136 platform.
But I would like to say I am building an i7 860 system and I can`t wait.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I really like my 860, but I think you're correct...the 920 seems to win the popularity award. Sadly, the price of a 920 system and an 860 system are very close...if I had waited a few more months on my build I likely would have gone 920, but it just wasn't in my time budget. I had to have my gaming rig built and stable before the XPL CS:S season started lol. Typical gamer "I need it now!". ;)

Good luck on your build. Here's a teaser..

Obsidian1.jpg