New Dual Monitor Gaming PC Build

magma

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Hi all.

My PC will be used for mainly playing Warhammer Age of Reckoning and a few other new titles. I like to use dual monitors (Game + Internet, Game + Gideo, Video + Internet) so i think a quad core will be better value than the dual core.

I plan to overclock the CPU so I am looking for a motherboard that is userfriendly to help out a beginner overclocker. As I use dual monitors crossfire would be a nice feature if I decide to get dual graphics cards later.

Motherboard Well Documented/Easy to overclock, Crossfire compatible too if it does not cost much more.

Processor Intel Q6600

Ram 2x1GB PC-5300 - Already bought

Graphics Card 8800GS - Already bought

Power Supply Depends on Crossfire or not, Probably get a Corsair one.

Case About £50 - Side window would be nice, Does the case make that much difference?

Hard Drive 320GB SATA - From old computer, as I have a new moterhboard and CPU will the liecnce be valid?

OS XP Home - On hard drive already

Monitor 19" Standard Dell - Already bought

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, Jon

You will have to do a repair installation to get the OS configured to the new hardware. Unless the hardware is a similar configuration to the setup it was originally installed on and you will have to install the drivers as well.

Its doubtful it will boot unless you boot from the OS disk and do a repair installation 1st.

Get the Corsair psu, others also recommend PC Power & Cooling. That is another very reliable brand.

Most will recommend a motherboard with an Intel chipset. I have the EVGA 780i mobo with the nvidia chipset and it OC'd fine.

It will better aid peoples suggestions if you post the budget you have for everything and then they can suggest hardware to keep things in that range...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Ok...some major points to make about some of your components.

You said you are looking for a motherboard that will support crossfire (ATI GPU feature), in case you want another video card in the future, yet you already have an nVidia card (SLI).

If you want another GPU in the future, you'll need an SLI capable motherboard. 750i would probably be a good choice for you.

I would suggest better RAM if you want to OC. You would more than likely want DDR2 800, and also would suggest a 2x2GB kit, instead of 2x1GB.

I would get a better GPU, personally. The 4850s by ATI are good performers for ~ $150. Then you could get a P45 or X38/X48 board for crossfire.

If you're sticking with the current list (not returning/selling/exchanging parts), then look into the 750i motherboards - they are not as easy to overclock, but that's about your only option with that GPU (if you want to add another in the future).

Agreed about change of hardare and the OS. You'll probably need to re-register that copy.

magma

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Hi thanks for the quick responses people.

I thought that SLI (unlike crossfire) was not compatible with dual monitors and hence why I wanted a crossfire motherboard. How much more does an easy to overclock Crossfire motherboard cost compared to a non-crossfire easy to overclock motherboard? As I am starting to think that by the time I get 2 ATI card to run in crossfire I might as well build a new system, so unless the crossfire motherboard doesn’t cost that much more than the non crossfire can you please recommend me a non crossfire board please.

I would be willing to spend about £400 but remember I already have the ram and graphics card but will upgrade them later. Also I don’t plan to overclock the processor straight away and will buy more ram when I do (also RAM is really cheap so it’s not much of a cost issue).

Jon

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
SLI is not currently possible (well, it is, but is a little more comlicated) on multiple monitors. nVidia is supposed to release a new driver, dubbed Big Bang II, as of September 2008 - we're obviously still waiting.

I would say that you'd be well served by a P45 motherboard that is crossfire capable - (usually allows x8 x8 when in crossfire). Check out Asus and Gigabyte as good options for a solid P45.

I still think the RAM is a little underpowered (especially if you'll overclock), but you've already got it. I still think you'd be better off with DDR2 800.

Good luck.

magma

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Update:

Already purchased, can’t take back
Ram ~ 2x1GB PC-5300 – Will upgrade when overclocking CPU

Graphics Card ~ 8800GS - Will upgrade when I go Crossfire.

Monitors ~ 19" and 15.4" Standard Dell – Will upgrade when I go Crossfire.

Components to purchase
Processor Intel Q6600

Motherboard ~

Power Supply ~ Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

Case ~ Antec 900

Hard Drive ~

OS ~ Vista 64bit XP

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, Jon

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
If you think you are not going to crossfire/SLI, get a P45 (though you can crossfire at reduced bandwidth).

If you want to SLI, go with a 750i or 780i.

If you want to crossfire at full bandwidth, get an X48.

HDD - Western Digital 640 GB HDD. Great price. Great performance.

OS - get Vista Home Premium 64-bit (unless you really need the features of Ultimate)

The rest are good choices. I have an Antec 900 and love it, but you may want to check out the Antec 1200 if you want a full tower with some extra features (though similar to the 900).