ASRock P45XE Power Issue

I'm having a strange issue with my new ASRock P45XE build that hopefully someone can help me with. Maybe this is normal behavior with the ASRock mobo, so tell me if I'm crazy!

Reset CMOS - Boots fine - change any processor related option in BIOS and computer turns off after saving and exiting BIOS. Will only turn back on with front power button after pulling power to the power supply. I don't have the issue as long as I don't change any processor related option in BIOS.

Shut down Windows XP or Vista from the start menu - system powers off - will not power back on with front button without pulling power to the power supply.

Normal restarts work fine, it only happens when shutting down the computer normally.

I've tried two different power supplies and two different cases (should eliminate a power button problem).

Any ideas? I'm thinking a bad motherboard, but I'm not having any other issues besides this. I normally wouldn't sweat it, but it is a brand new mobo and it's a PITA having to pull power every time I want to boot the system!

Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about asrock p45xe power issue
  1. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about RMAing it...
  2. After some Googling, I did find someone else having what appears to be the same issue.

    http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=81397

    Anyone else out there with a P45XE having these issues?
  3. I'm having the exact same issue with my new build. Did you find a solution?
  4. Haven't found a solution. Sounds more and more like a "feature". Hopefully it can be fixed in a future BIOS update.
  5. I'm having this problem too and use Instant Boot so I don't have to keep pulling out my power lead! No real solution as yet so I think I will contact ASRock :pt1cable:
  6. Hi Guys, I too am having this issue. I just replaced my power supply with a new one thinking it may have been a power instability issue. And then I even replaced all my MB-case standoffs with plastic standoffs thinking it was a shorting issue. And I'm still having this problem.

    A frest start (110V plug removed and replugged) will allow the computer to start, but if I 1) reset with the reset button, 2) hold power button for 3 sec, 3) change items in the BIOS, or 4) shutdown/hibernate with Windows, the system will not boot. The fans run, the drives spin up, but the monitor stays dark and then eventually the system turns itself off and then turns itself back on and stays in this loop forever, until I pull the 110V plug again.

    What did you guys end up doing? Return the board? My next step is to remove all parts of the system (IDE optical drives, all other sata hard drives, 1 of the 2 sticks of ram, wifi card, floppy) until i'm down to a barebones system, hopefully then it will be stablely bootable. We'll see.

    -Jayson
  7. I'm having exactly the same issues with my P45XE mobo as iamroshambo have. Very annoying!
  8. Yes, even more annoying is that I never got that board to boot reliably, even after tearing it down to a bare bones system. I ended up returning the MB to Newegg and received a replacement. The replacement board works awesome, just like I would have expected the first time around.

    I still havent seen any real benefit from ASRock Instant Boot, but the ASRock software overclocking is great for dialing in stable overclocking before locking them into BIOS.

    Well, I would recommend returning the board? Where is it that you bought it? I know 2 others that bought bad boards from Newegg, I'm wondering if they got some of the first ones or something.

    -J
  9. ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: ASRock Support <support@asrock.nl>
    Date: 2009/11/5
    Subject: RE: Power Issues with ASRock P45XE Motherboard
    To: mark76

    Hello,

    Please kindly check below
    1. remove all the PCI and USB devices.
    2. Clear CMOS to try again.
    3. Power on by motherboard "System Panel Header" not via case to eliminate
    case or switch problem.
    5. If still has problem, please test other power supply (PSU) to try again.

    Other PSU still has same problem, please contact your local dealer to check
    your motherboard.

    Best regards,

    ASRock Support

    ASRock Europe B.V.