buy.com vs newegg for parts

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I'm in the process of ordering components for my build and see that I can get some good deals from buy.com (e.g., the antec nine hundred case is $99 with free shipping vs $140 + shipping on newegg). I've only dealt with newegg in the past so I'd appreciate any feedback on buy.com, e.g., how is their return policy. Thanks.

Depends where you live.

when I buy from newegg I dont have to pay taxes since its shipped from other state.

I looked at buy.com and I'm in same state so I would have to pay taxes.

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses. buy.com seems to have a limited selection of components but some good deals. For example, on my PSU (Corsair CMPSU-650TX), video card (Diamond HD 4850) and case (Antec Nine Hundred) I can save about $90-95 from buy.com.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I've never had problems with buy.com either.

I shop around. I love newegg.com, but sometimes they just aren't the cheapest. I also use mwave.com, zipzoomfly.com, goharddrive.com, and a few others.

Ooh, buy Diamond at your peril.

I've seen a lot of people point out that buy.com often has better prices than Newegg on PSUs. I think it depends on the model; Newegg almost always has at least a couple of decent PSUs (usually Antec) for a very good price.
Even if I think I know what I want, when I'm going to buy, I'll often ask if anyone knows of notable deals, and I'll check sites like www.slickdeals.net too.

I use to always check out pricewatch to find the lowest prices

http://www.pricewatch.com/public/

But now I find that many etailers don't list as many of their items, or their specials, as they use to. I pretty much stay with new egg since I've never had an issue with them, but I'll use pricewatch to compare and I will go with another retailer if they are reputable and have it significantly cheaper. I always double check on newegg first though for combo deals and the like ^_^.

I've had the same experience. Newegg's prices on some PSU's and cases are not that great. Always shop around. I've had good luck with buy.com and zipzoomfly.com.

Just curious, how much are those taxes usually in the US? For example in Canada if I buy from NCIX I don't pay provincial tax (8% in Ontario).

In Tennessee it is 9.5% now when I order from Newegg, because they have a warehouse in Memphis. It can still be worthwhile for the rapid delivery and good service, but I do look around and buy from other places too. I've ordered from Microcenter, Buy.com, and I believe ZipZoomFly.

I ordered a 150GB Velociraptor from Newegg yesterday. It arrived today. Wow, shipping worthy of the drive, which is also fast. Whisper-quiet, and stayed cool even after I copied 45-50GB of files to it.

Interesting. So, $72.24 at www.buy.com for a 650TX might actually be about the same as $80 from newegg, depending on where you live, because one adds $7 in taxes and one doesn't. Why do they have to complicate things so much...

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I ended up just buying the Antec Nine Hundred case from buy.com today ($99 + free shipping). I ordered the rest of my components from newegg as they had better prices today and free shipping on many items. And no tax because I live in NC.

@jtt283 - I switched from the Diamond to the Gigabyte HD 4850 card. Had lots of good reviews and the price was nice.