What is suggested for a automatic usb device snan app?

GJL57

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I need a across the board multiple anti-malware scan app for USB devices.
Any suggestions ?

On my computers USB devices are by default are auto detected and read therefore may infect my computers when used from a known infected computer... yes?

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

GJL57

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

Sadly not possible..not option with avira antivir personal.

Plus infected machine was Trojan infected, virus infected and possible more/worst

..was giving client malwarebytes anti malware scanner. [free version]

That is why i stated wanted 'cross the board ' malware scanner not just antivirus...want anti rootkit/anti virus/anti malware scanner that scans automatically when usb device first plugged in.

Does such an app exist??

one of the three usb pendrives i have has a physical switch filelocker
{like an old 3.5 floppy}. that is good if knew which direction is lock...lol

GJL57

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

selected as bad answer ...greatly disappointed in response from tom hardware forum ...Some blame on me for bad english and lack of clarity ...question have been clarified and a new post made..hope for a future correct good answer...<grin>

floppy and usb keys are used in horizontal position so no 'down 'position ...is towards metal or away from metal part.

but firstly ,although it may have been hard to see 2 questions was being asked "can a usb device last used on a HEAVLY infected computer become infected with rootkits,trojans,adware viri ect? "

no one answered this.

the other question was "is there an app that will automatically scan usb keys for _all_ types of malware on insertion to home computer?"

one one answered this.

GJL57

Sorry help here, at least from me was of no use to you, but YOU don't even remember what you asked when it is still in front of you...

You asked..

that is good if knew which direction is lock...lol

I answered..

The "locked" position is down.

You said..
floppy and usb keys are used in horizontal position so no 'down 'position ...is towards metal or away from metal part.

I guess it would depend on whether you are holding it in your hand upside down or not, or if it is on a table facing you or pointing away, or sideways. I considered it being held pointing up, because it must be set BEFORE plugging it into the computer, while you are still holding it, but you may be north of the equator and that seems make a difference for some people.

You asked..
That is why i stated wanted 'cross the board ' malware scanner not just antivirus...want anti rootkit/anti virus/anti malware scanner that scans automatically when usb device first plugged in.

Does such an app exist??

I answered..

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 will scan external devices.
You can download the full version and use it for 30 days (Trial) free by clicking
HERE.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 will scan external devices when they are plugged in if you read the instructions on how to set the program options.

You ask..

but firstly ,although it may have been hard to see 2 questions was being asked "can a usb device last used on a HEAVLY infected computer become infected with rootkits,trojans,adware viri ect? "

The answer is yes, USB stick drives are totally susceptible to transferring a virus.

You said..
selected as bad answer ...greatly disappointed in response from tom hardware forum

I now say..

Dumb questions from someone who doesn't know enough about a computer to venture into so much as turning it on. If you're mad about anything, consider it... you got what you paid for.

Here's one more free tip... Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 does indeed scan for everything you are worried about.

GJL57

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
AHHH Tig! ...Why did you not write this response first? Yes although misnamed Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 does on insertion perform 'cross the board scanning' including rootkits??

Now your answer is closer to 'best' status.

Not particularly 'banging' on you as you are the only respondant {not happy with that either,} but very much thanks for continue responces to try to solve English language problems as well as computer problem for free!

So USB sticks are not susceptible to the other types of 'malware' yet?

I was born into 'English as mother tongue place' but residents were not encouraged to express themselves in English but a 'dreamed up' tongue.So ended up in special ed classes to learn English [ a very HARD language ].I try VERY hard to type correctly, clearly,precisely to get the answer I want by stating best as I am able at the time my 'problem'. It is very maddening to _not_ get English typing persons answering the questions as clearly as i asked them the first or even the second time. It is as if y'all got a different dictionary than I have. lol <grin>

Kaspersky was THE scanner when I was in this as a business 9 years ago.It will be good to find they still TRY to be the best.Sadly some of this malware is out there no 'anti-malware brand' will be protecting you from 'cause it is not financially prudent to do so, as It is not wide spread enough ...yet.

So, will have to teach myself hexadecimal for PC..looks like.<grin> and stay at 'sysinternals forum' to keep myself ahead of the curve. ..lol

ALOHA OI and MAHALO to you,

GJL57

Woa !!! USB stick memory is a Very Powerful way to insert a virus into another computer.

The stuxnet virus was implanted into the Iranian nuclear facilities by way of a USB stick drive.
There are articles showing the Japanese power plants had that same virus since back in 2010.

Many common viruses circulating around the internet specifically go to USB flash drives so they can be replicated to more computers by way of unsuspecting people plugging into other computers as they travel from machine to machine. To scan a USB drive is very important, especially if you keep seeing a little program called "autorun" that re-appears in the USB drive no matter how many times you delete it.

Scan your entire system with the USB drive inserted at the same time to kill it and kill it everywhere at the same time, or you'll get re-infected instantly. After that, keep Kaspersky running... at least when plugging in a USB drive.

Kaspersky a good one? Yup, them Russians don't mess around. They wanted a reputation for getting things done and they got it. My only gripe is that it turns on Automatic Updates, the Windows firewall, error reporting and a few other things I like to keep under my direct control, but they can be reset as desired after it is started the first time.

Cheers...