March 21, 2010 1:21:08 PM

my brother has a PC
Asus M2n mx
2 gb RAm corsair
40 gb PATA seagate HDD
80 gb SATA HDD seagate
athlon 64 x2 3600+

i attached a western digital hdd 500gb.
it worked fine for a day but. today it stopped working.
of the 3 partitions only one is working .
this thing happened to me the last time i connected my 320 gb HDD.
what might be the problem.
why does this happen
could this be a problem with SMPS.
and can you suggest any method to recover the two drives .
please help!!!

More about : hard drive corrupted

a c 127 G Storage
March 21, 2010 1:53:21 PM

What is SMPS?
What OS are you using?
What dianosis did you try already?
What makes you believe it is filesystem corruption, instead of just damage on your HDD?
What does your SMART output tell you?
What kind of error message you get when accessing your data?

So you will have to provide relevant data before anyone can help you specifically.
March 21, 2010 5:13:21 PM

smps is local indian made,,,,
os is windows xp sp2 as well as ubuntu live cd,,,,,
i tried opening the drive in windows and it showed it as unpartioned space.then i tried it on ubutu live cd and there it said something abt chkdsk and reboot two times and something like cannot mount the partition.
no idea abt SMART output.
first time i got the cyclic redundancy check error when i tried to make a folder in one the partitions before it stopped working.
this is all i can tell right now cos i've removed the 500gb hdd, as i cant risk using it anymore,because its my frnds hdd,,,
any suggestions what i should do?????
appreciate ur efforts,,,,,,,,,
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
March 21, 2010 6:50:32 PM

You want to fix the problem with your friends' 500GB drive, but you removed it from your computer and 'can't risk using it anymore'? So do you still want a solution if you're not going to use the drive anymore?

I've given you several pointers. For example, checking the SMART output is the first thing you should try. And using recovery software if you're interested in the contents on the drive.
March 22, 2010 4:14:06 AM

Ok i will give the SMART details later.. but can you suggest a DATA recovery software , freeware, in the meantime.
because i am also interested is more in the data.....
thanks for the help...
March 22, 2010 6:02:38 AM

dorje said:
my brother has a PC
Asus M2n mx
2 gb RAm corsair
40 gb PATA seagate HDD
80 gb SATA HDD seagate
athlon 64 x2 3600+

i attached a western digital hdd 500gb.
it worked fine for a day but. today it stopped working.
of the 3 partitions only one is working .
this thing happened to me the last time i connected my 320 gb HDD.
what might be the problem.
why does this happen
could this be a problem with SMPS.
and can you suggest any method to recover the two drives .
please help!!!

You should make sure Windows isn't try to use the external as virtual memory and you might not have the right NTFS or FAT32 set up for hotswap hookup.
a c 127 G Storage
March 22, 2010 11:54:04 AM

Quote:
If your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), you may experience any of the following symptoms:

* Your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation.
* You may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation.
* You may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error)

Term Papers

What you wrote is a bunch of crap, just like your other (spam) messages. Howmuch money you get per spam link you post here? I guess i'll just ask to remove your account and all your messages.
March 22, 2010 2:29:46 PM

guys what should i do????just suggest me any good free software for data recovery. i find many software in the net but they all are paid software.
also in the affected hdd one of the partitions is being shown as -1mb others are showing there exact size.
appreciate ur help.
a c 127 G Storage
March 22, 2010 2:39:44 PM

I'm not too familiar with Windows-based recovery applications as im a Linux guy. But one application i used was called Active@ Partition Recovery, it seemed to work quite well. Other people may give you similar utilities; however most are evaluation/shareware so you may have to pay for it in order to use it to recover all your data.
March 22, 2010 9:34:15 PM

dorje said:
guys what should i do????just suggest me any good free software for data recovery. i find many software in the net but they all are paid software.
also in the affected hdd one of the partitions is being shown as -1mb others are showing there exact size.
appreciate ur help.

I'm sorry I don't think I'm much help in this thread, I tried to google it and I even called some hardware shops in Boise, but no luck. Geek Squad recommended they do the Hard Drive recovery. Sorry.
March 23, 2010 8:07:08 AM

sub mesa said:
I'm not too familiar with Windows-based recovery applications as im a Linux guy. But one application i used was called Active@ Partition Recovery, it seemed to work quite well. Other people may give you similar utilities; however most are evaluation/shareware so you may have to pay for it in order to use it to recover all your data.

as you are saying you are a linux guy can you suggest me a software for linux that can recover the contents .(i am using a ubuntu live cd). any portable software which i can download on my pendrive and use in ubuntu live session.
please...
thanks any ways for helping me out...
a c 127 G Storage
March 23, 2010 1:05:36 PM

Since i assume you use NTFS filesystem, you will need to use Windows file recovery as you're using a proprietary windows format.

I still recommend you also checkout the SMART data from the physical drives.
March 23, 2010 4:18:17 PM

sub mesa said:
Since i assume you use NTFS filesystem, you will need to use Windows file recovery as you're using a proprietary windows format.

I still recommend you also checkout the SMART data from the physical drives.

i have got diskcheckup software..
it shows a bunch of numbers, in the SMART info... what basically do you need to know???
do you need the whole SMART info or some particular info???
a c 127 G Storage
March 23, 2010 5:14:55 PM

A screenshot of the SMART output would be great. The most important property is called "Current pending sectors" or "Pending sector count".
March 24, 2010 3:50:02 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't much help on here, but I going to not be posting on this thread until I find or see you have found a solution on here I'm sorry agian, but I don't know to much about HDD I ever have very few problems with them and I just hope the guys on tomshardware and figure this out for you dorje.
April 1, 2010 3:07:22 PM

sub mesa said:
A screenshot of the SMART output would be great. The most important property is called "Current pending sectors" or "Pending sector count".

this is the screenshot of the SMART reading...
what does it suggest??
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2203/30108222.jpg
a c 127 G Storage
April 3, 2010 9:53:31 AM

Your harddrive is damaged; you would need special utilities to recover the data.

One good (commercial) utility which can fix this damage is called Spinrite; it will recover and fix your bad sectors.

If you're continuing use of this drive, dataloss is a likely scenario. So make sure you get off the data that you need before you return it under the warranty period.
April 4, 2010 9:59:08 AM

thanks for the advice.
but do i need to get the drive replaced??
April 8, 2010 4:14:39 AM

dorje said:
thanks for the advice.
but do i need to get the drive replaced??

Sounds like yes for the fact if it is a hardware issue it will only get worse and then you will most likly loose all of your files/data/programs ect.

There could be tons of reason for hardware failures in HardDrives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_failure

http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/HardDriveCras...

http://www.pcmech.com/article/hard-drive-failure-warnin...

You might just want to check into those websites I listed above.

April 8, 2010 7:05:48 AM

May be you should replace your drive. This hardware issues not solve instantly. If you will not replace your hard disk there may be chances of loosing your data,files,programs again. You may also feel that your computer is not working as fast as it should be. There are many reasons for this type of failures. One of from those is virus.
!