ask yourself one question....

I have played wow since beta. liked it, it was fun. then in my mid- and
aold-forties with my main-char I got bored. bored to hell. trade-system was
so simple that every idiot could do it. in fact achieving highest rank in
any tradeskill is attainable on one single day, if you got enough money /
resources at hand...
plus there´s no need to craft anything since the best stuff is loot anyways.

I first heard about SWG when I saw an online-trailer. I was intrigued, but
it wasn´t out yet. then I left the games scene for some time. yesterday I
quit WoW and downloaded RotW...

I absolutely love SWG. it´s big, it´s complex, it´s overewhelming.
It´s a real world that players can modify and expand. Built cities, build
infrastructures, build industries out of nothing. Every profession is
usefull, everybody needs the others. No NPC-shop, No NPC-Crafters. Now
that´s what I call shaping your destiny in a MMORPG

Then I see forums and mesage boards newsgroupd and such, where players are
whining. And that´s all they do, the whine. They cry like little babys that
their "UBER-Artisan" has only Combat Rank 24. That being a Jedi is sooo hard
and it takes sooo long. Guess what: it´s an MMORPG, it´s not about who´s
best. If you´re an Artisan, well you´re crafter, not a fighter....
If you want to be Jedi, then invest the time. Usually being a Jedi starts
when you´re a kid. So you got to get the same amount of EXP a 30year old
amasses to become a Jedi Knight.
And if Jedis complain about being huntable by BH´s...guess what: if you ask
the Emperor you shopuldn´t even be alive !! That´s what you deserve for
wanting to be a Jedi...

I am tired of this whining and complaining. See it as it is: SWG, like any
other Game, is just that, a game. If you don´t like it, quit. It´s a game
though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was it
really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items that
let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???

Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it something
else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
game for a certain amount of time ??

I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....
Maybe it´s just me ???

Not just you, my friend. I'm a small, insignificant minority, but i
actually quit SWG last Dec for all the reasons people want the pre-cu
times back. I started replaying a week ago and now love the game all
over again. I'm not "grinding" (God so sick of that word) nor do i
wish to "own" anything (lord, save me from overused SWG-hater phrases)
I'm playing for the daily fun of it. I love meeting people online with
the same sarcastic humor that I have and fanboying about Star Wars. I,
for another one, get chills when the theme music plays as well.

And you hit the cliched nail on the proverbial head - the whiners
mistake an MMORPG for a console RPG. Its not about getting to the end,
its the daily walk...ah, zen warning, but its the journey.

Love to chat with someone else who loves the game (and there are
scores of us) if you have anyone on Radiant (Rola'and), Naritus (Jick)
or Bria (Yashe) gimme an ingame tell.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:43:29 +0200, "Kraxas" <me@you.com> wrote:

>I have played wow since beta. liked it, it was fun. then in my mid- and
>aold-forties with my main-char I got bored. bored to hell. trade-system was
>so simple that every idiot could do it. in fact achieving highest rank in
>any tradeskill is attainable on one single day, if you got enough money /
>resources at hand...
>plus there´s no need to craft anything since the best stuff is loot anyways.
>
>I first heard about SWG when I saw an online-trailer. I was intrigued, but
>it wasn´t out yet. then I left the games scene for some time. yesterday I
>quit WoW and downloaded RotW...
>
>I absolutely love SWG. it´s big, it´s complex, it´s overewhelming.
>It´s a real world that players can modify and expand. Built cities, build
>infrastructures, build industries out of nothing. Every profession is
>usefull, everybody needs the others. No NPC-shop, No NPC-Crafters. Now
>that´s what I call shaping your destiny in a MMORPG
>
>Then I see forums and mesage boards newsgroupd and such, where players are
>whining. And that´s all they do, the whine. They cry like little babys that
>their "UBER-Artisan" has only Combat Rank 24. That being a Jedi is sooo hard
>and it takes sooo long. Guess what: it´s an MMORPG, it´s not about who´s
>best. If you´re an Artisan, well you´re crafter, not a fighter....
>If you want to be Jedi, then invest the time. Usually being a Jedi starts
>when you´re a kid. So you got to get the same amount of EXP a 30year old
>amasses to become a Jedi Knight.
>And if Jedis complain about being huntable by BH´s...guess what: if you ask
>the Emperor you shopuldn´t even be alive !! That´s what you deserve for
>wanting to be a Jedi...
>
>I am tired of this whining and complaining. See it as it is: SWG, like any
>other Game, is just that, a game. If you don´t like it, quit. It´s a game
>though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
>globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
>time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was it
>really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items that
>let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
>really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???
>
>Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
>time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it something
>else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
>game for a certain amount of time ??
>
>I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....
>Maybe it´s just me ???

geeze,
i just got an invite to a PA last night. They are in a rebuilding phase.
Lost many members due to the CU.
the leader sounded ok to me.

@ mickey: i mainly pla on gorath, since I am german ;-))
"Micky Durango" <mdurango@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]
> >though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
> >globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
> >time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was
it
> >really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items
that
> >let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
> >really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???
> >
> >Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
> >time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it
something
> >else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
> >game for a certain amount of time ??
> >
> >I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....

anyways,

I play mainly on Gorath.
me = german
Gorath = unoffcial german server....

thanks though ;-)

> [...]
> >though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
> >globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
> >time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was
it
> >really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items
that
> >let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
> >really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???
> >
> >Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
> >time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it
something
> >else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
> >game for a certain amount of time ??
> >
> >I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....

Nice post Kraxas, I could not agree more.

I'm with you Micky - I quit last Dec as well and just recently came back
after hearing about the CU. I'm having a blast re-learning the game and
not being uber :) I've played a lot of MMORPG's and SWG is by far the
most "alive and dynamic" of the bunch.....I'm on Bria (Bronyraur), maybe
we'll meet up some time.

Micky Durango wrote:
> [...]
>>other Game, is just that, a game. If you don´t like it, quit. It´s a game
>>though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
>>globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
>>time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was it
>>really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items that
>>let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
>>really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???
>>
>>Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
>>time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it something
>>else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
>>game for a certain amount of time ??
>>
>>I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....

kas

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

"Kraxas" <me@you.com> wrote in message news:d7ngg1$v0v$1@news.shlink.de...
> I have played wow since beta. liked it, it was fun. then in my mid- and
> aold-forties with my main-char I got bored. bored to hell. trade-system
was
> so simple that every idiot could do it. in fact achieving highest rank in
> any tradeskill is attainable on one single day, if you got enough money /
> resources at hand...
> plus there´s no need to craft anything since the best stuff is loot
anyways.

> I first heard about SWG when I saw an online-trailer. I was intrigued, but
> it wasn´t out yet. then I left the games scene for some time. yesterday I
> quit WoW and downloaded RotW...
>
> I absolutely love SWG. it´s big, it´s complex, it´s overewhelming.
> It´s a real world that players can modify and expand. Built cities, build
> infrastructures, build industries out of nothing. Every profession is
> usefull, everybody needs the others. No NPC-shop, No NPC-Crafters. Now
> that´s what I call shaping your destiny in a MMORPG
>
> Then I see forums and mesage boards newsgroupd and such, where players are
> whining. And that´s all they do, the whine. They cry like little babys
that
> their "UBER-Artisan" has only Combat Rank 24. That being a Jedi is sooo
hard
> and it takes sooo long. Guess what: it´s an MMORPG, it´s not about who´s
> best. If you´re an Artisan, well you´re crafter, not a fighter....
> If you want to be Jedi, then invest the time. Usually being a Jedi starts
> when you´re a kid. So you got to get the same amount of EXP a 30year old
> amasses to become a Jedi Knight.
> And if Jedis complain about being huntable by BH´s...guess what: if you
ask
> the Emperor you shopuldn´t even be alive !! That´s what you deserve for
> wanting to be a Jedi...
>
> I am tired of this whining and complaining. See it as it is: SWG, like any
> other Game, is just that, a game. If you don´t like it, quit. It´s a game
> though that let´s you enjoy and shape worlds with other people around the
> globe like no other MMORPG I have ever seen. And if you invested so much
> time into the game until now, please ask yourself this one question: was
it
> really the fact that your toon had good stats or great money and Items
that
> let you stick with it and keep logging in ? Is one CU that reshapes it
> really worth of giving up on everything that had to be there ???
>
> Please, honestly, ask yourself this one question: Did you invest so much
> time just to become the Uber-Char that can do anything ? Or was it
something
> else ? Something else a lot of people seem to forget once they play any
> game for a certain amount of time ??
>
> I still get the shivers when I log in and hear the Star Wars Theme....
> Maybe it´s just me ???

I totally agree that the journey towards becoming a Jedi shouldn't be a
quick fix, and for me I see no problems with it but at the same time I also
see my boyfriends point of view on it as well. That the Journey is a little
too long, because basically once again the power players who have a bunch of
free time will get Jedi fairly quickly (as they do with any other
profession) but those who have to work 5 days a week from 8 till 6 loose out
because it takes them that much longer again to achieve the goal of Jedi (if
thats what they are going for). For him playing SWG was all about becoming a
Jedi but the XP needed to get there IS huge, the quests themselves aren't
even really that much of a Jedi like quest really, while they were a better
idea then hologrinding they still aren't that "Jedi" like and the amount of
xp you need to get each tree even after donig the quests is pretty insane,
there was no way even after unlocking a tree that he was going to be able to
rack up that much xp in 3 weeks in time to unlock the next one while working
at the same time, just wasn't going to happen. Then once he finally did get
there its still a *lot* of xp to gain to actually advance his Jedi anywhere.

My take on it while the XP needed doesnt really bother me personally is
still that it probably should be more quest orientated and less XP gaining.
Being a Jedi is all about learning skills, but not learning skills in combat
more learning skills from a "Jedi Master" (if you watch the movies you'll
know what I mean). I think that the first steps should be a series of quests
you go and do for *one* Jedi Master, learning skills from him or her as you
go through those quests with the three week buffer before you can start the
next quest series without the need for the xp grind in between. And again
once you do become a Jedi Padawan I think that quest training should
continue until you become a Jedi Knight (or whatever the next level is) and
don't really require a master to train you anymore.. at that point thats
when I think you should gain your experience out in the field to advance
even further. That would be more Starwars like then the current Journey they
have set for Jedi's at this point in time.

The other thing that he has a problem with (and I tend to agree) is the fact
that Jedi's basically *have* to solo or group with someone who has ranged
combat theres no room for them to go around enjoying normal grouping with a
bunch of friends like there is for any other profession. As a game player,
the aspect that makes it fun is social activities with friends. This option
isnt available for Jedi's without being extremely careful unless you want a
bunch of BH's on your head causing you to loose a lot of xp.

I think in this case there should be some kind of option for you to "tell"
your closest friends that you are infact a Jedi and an option for them to
either keep your secret or blab it to the next bounty hunter who comes their
way putting a new missioin on your head (maybe even giving you a cut of the
credits gained from that mission once its completed). That way you'll only
tell your most trusted and closest friends, but at the same time you will be
able to group with your most trusted and closest friends without having to
watch everything you do and rely on them being ranged professions. Even Luke
was able to run around with his closest friends in Star Wars knowing they
would keep it quiet that he is a Jedi and not go blabing it to every bounty
hunter around. I fully believe in that respect NPC visability and PC
visability should be different.

If you go in to a cantina (or anywhere else) that are bunch of NPC's are
located in and kill someone or something you expect that when you leave the
whole cantina will be buzzing with conversations about you when you leave,
but not if you go out on a mission with a few friends, you expect those
friends will keep your activities to themselves.

Anyhow, thats just my take on the situation, I don't believe it should be a
fast easy journey but I do believe that some things around Jedi should be
done differently to make it more Star Wars like and at the same time to
allow the players to enjoy the game and enjoy more time with thier friends
:)

Ishka
Master TKA/Doctor
Valcyn