Changing default clock on Tungsten E

March 21, 2005 1:52:45 PM

Hi,

I'm new in the PDA world, quite happy with my Tungsten E.

When my Tungsten is off, I can show the standard clock for a few
seconds by pressing the select button. Same thing happens, when the
machine is running, when I click the appropriate icon on the
silkscreen.

The standard clock is, IMHO, pretty ugly. I would like to replace it
with something prettier (Watchmaker for instance. Any other *free*
suggestion, apart from bigclock?). So my question is: how can I have
the same behavior as above, with the clock I choose? The preference
menu won't allow me to remap the select button, nor the silkscreen
icons...

I'm sure somebody here can help me? I first considered renaming my
clock application to "Clock-PcLK", but that doesn't seem to work...

Thank you!
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:16:26 PM

Re-Posting, hoping to get an answer :^(
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:35:34 PM

In message <1111431165.316989.248930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, JSeb
<jseb@cs.mcgill.ca> writes

>I'm new in the PDA world, quite happy with my Tungsten E.
>
>When my Tungsten is off, I can show the standard clock for a few
>seconds by pressing the select button. Same thing happens, when the
>machine is running, when I click the appropriate icon on the
>silkscreen.
>
>The standard clock is, IMHO, pretty ugly. I would like to replace it
>with something prettier (Watchmaker for instance. Any other *free*
>suggestion, apart from bigclock?). So my question is: how can I have
>the same behavior as above, with the clock I choose? The preference
>menu won't allow me to remap the select button, nor the silkscreen
>icons...

You can get similar, though not quite the same, by using one of the
hardware buttons.

I, for example, hardly ever use the Notepad application, so map the
leftmost hardware button to something more useful (currently Today V2.2,
which I find both incredibly useful and very frustrating in roughly
equal measure)

regards,
--
Ian Cummings
April 5, 2005 9:38:13 PM

In message <c62+w8I8usUCFwTi@btinternet.com>, Ian Cummings
<news.spam@glitton.org.uk> writes

>I, for example, hardly ever use the Notepad application, so map the
>leftmost hardware button

oops - meant rightmost...
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

Yes, I believe that's what I'll have to do...

I can't belive there's no hack or something to remap the silkscreen
clock icon!

Thanks for your reply.

--> JSeb
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:38:57 PM

In message <1112827713.035935.129380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, JSeb
<jseb@cs.mcgill.ca> writes
>Yes, I believe that's what I'll have to do...
>
>I can't belive there's no hack or something to remap the silkscreen
>clock icon!

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you might want to do that. If you want to
launch a different application, you use the (separate) icon provided,
surely ?

Or do I misunderstand ?
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

Ian Cummings <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> wrote:

>In message JSeb jseb@cs.mcgill.ca> writes

>>I can't belive there's no hack

Most hacks no longer work in modern OS5 models.

>or something to remap the silkscreen clock icon!

But even in the day of hacks I don't remember one to do what you want.
Course that doesn't mean it's not out there...

>I'm a bit puzzled as to why you might want to do that. If you want to
>launch a different application, you use the (separate) icon provided,
>surely ?

It would allow you another way to switch quickly between applications *without
having to go through the launcher*, an extra virtual button so to speak. You can
already remap the star icon (hotsync-upper right of the writing area) to do
this. If you could remap other icons you didn't use such as the clock icon, that
would give you additional functionality.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 10:28:12 PM

In message <n9bd51t0rfaitg7umg7ods3ss2dul8qtu6@4ax.com>, AaronJ
<noemail@noemail.com> writes
>Ian Cummings <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> wrote:

>>I'm a bit puzzled as to why you might want to do that. If you want to
>>launch a different application, you use the (separate) icon provided,
>>surely ?

>It would allow you another way to switch quickly between applications *without
>having to go through the launcher*, an extra virtual button so to
>speak. You can
>already remap the star icon (hotsync-upper right of the writing area) to do
>this.

Yes

>If you could remap other icons you didn't use such as the clock icon,
>that
>would give you additional functionality.

Do you mean the other three icons in the writing area ? My T|E has no
such clock icon !
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

In message <4JzHslGvssVCFwcY@btinternet.com>, Ian Cummings
<news.spam@glitton.org.uk> writes
>In message <n9bd51t0rfaitg7umg7ods3ss2dul8qtu6@4ax.com>, AaronJ
><noemail@noemail.com> writes

>>If you could remap other icons you didn't use such as the clock icon,
>>that
>>would give you additional functionality.

>Do you mean the other three icons in the writing area ? My T|E has no
>such clock icon !

Ah - I see what you mean. Believe it or not, I'd never noticed that
before.

Seems the misunderstanding is all mine !
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

Yes, THAT tiny clock icon in the top left of the graffiti area. Would
have liked to remap it, well, just to get a more consistent interface.
Don't want to see "World Clock" anymore.

Well, I just remapped one of the hardware button (not the "select"
button).

Thank you!
!