Sign in with
Your question

I have 2 500 gb HDDs on raid 0 for a total of 1Tb with winows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
September 8, 2011 4:35:52 PM

I have 2 500 gb HDDs on raid 0 for a total of 1Tb with winows 7 ultimate 64 bit and I added a 30 Gb SSD and planning to install Ubuntu on the ssd , I have 2 issues, the major one is that everytime I install Ubuntu on the SSD using "install Ubuntu alndside windows 7" option the system will only boot to the ssd Ubuntu everytime with no luck to get windows running again, I know that windows is there on the HDD but I cannot get to it. the second problem is that before installing ubuntu , windows does not list the ssd or cannot find it. it only shows up on the start up list of drives as a non raid drive but windows 7 cannotfind it or format it or anything
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 5:57:47 PM

In your bios in the boot sequence tab you want to have the hdd that has your Windows on it listed as the first boot option then when your computer boots I believe you will have an option to boot into Windows or Ubuntu.
m
l
September 8, 2011 6:02:56 PM

I have the CD rom first then the HDD then the SSD, but still not helping, always goes to Ubuntu and even if I turn off the ssd from the bios I still cannot go windows
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 6:19:02 PM

Tech answer:

Go to the Ubuntu site and run the program WUBI (it should default to the latest stable 64-bit version).
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

You can point to the drive you wish to use and it will install into a FOLDER instead of requiring you to partition a drive etc.

*I just added the folder "Ubuntu" on a 1TB hard drive and pointed to that.

Main points:
- easy installation with WUBI
- easy removal with Add/Remove programs
- boot menu automatically changed when adding or removing (reboot for choice of Windows or Ubuntu)
- Ubuntu runs exactly the same as if you'd installed it with the normal, non-Wubi method

Other:
Ubuntu detected my Intel RAID0 drives but not my other RAID0 using a Marvell chipset.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 6:19:46 PM

Did you put the hdd first ?
m
l
September 8, 2011 7:04:20 PM

o.k. at this point nothing seems to work and I am thinking of reformatting everything and re installing windows and then wubi, but how can i make windows see the ssd drive because the last two times I did this windows cannot find the ssd drive and maybe I have to change something in the BIOS
m
l
!