timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hello-
The strangest thing has happened with my Program Files. I first noticed this missing OEM logo icon problem when I went to Start> All Programs. About 80% of the programs OEM logo icons are gone and replaced by these generic looking folder icons. Went to Program Files and they've ALL been replaced with the generic icons- same in All Users, [user name], and all throughout the system. I have not made any changes in settings. All of my files and folders are set to list as 'Details', as it is easier for me to see them and view dates. However, with the OEM logos as icons, they are more readily recognizable.
I have spent the last 3 hours trying to figure this out through Google Search, went back a day to a restore point, all to no avail. Some of the searches suggested increasing the icon cache volume via some dword reg tweaks- which didn't work. All is well within the system as we just performed a clean install of the OS a couple of days ago. (XP Pro SP3 X86)
I know one of you has the correct answer for this dilemma, so please chime in on this! Thanks a bunch!
Would a screenshot pasted here help?

Chime in?? OK, I'll be first....

Stay out of the registry.

Right-click desktop, select Properties.

Click Settings tab

Change color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit, click Apply.

Change color depth from 16 bit to 32 bit again and click Apply, then Ok,.

press the F5 key.

Did it help?

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
LMAO!...Well, first of all, whenever messin' with the registry we back up. And secondly, the color change is just one in a long list of gimmicks that don't work. Two hours of Googling verified that.
After the long distant run around I put myself through, it came down to a file/folder association matter. No harm, no foul- It's fixed now. The event didn't in anyway affect the OS performance. It was just a visual nuance- with me, that is!
Oh, by the way, I think maybe it's time you get a new cat!
Go Here: http://www.bucks-county.com/
LMFAO!....Thanks for the reply!

Nice pictures, but those are all kids cats. I like one that meows and the dogs in the neighborhood hide.

Don't you miss the bug that was crawling around at the bottom of my post?
It died and a memorial service was held, you missed it....

bug-death.jpg

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
LOL!...Now that ya mention it, yeah I do miss the fly! I thought he just got tired of buzzin' around that dead cat! And here I thought that was a crack pipe in his mouth, not a cigarette!...lmao! ;)

TRENDING THREADS