kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Ok so I just reread through the huge faq sticky about graphics cards and I still have a question on if my idea would work. Im looking at getting HIS Hightech H485QS512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB but probably later upgrading to crossfire and if I did would like to get the 1gb version as well. I know the cards won't multiply the memory together, but will it read the card with the higher memory so it would be worth it to upgrade in the future?

No. As with the clocks, if one was running higher clocks they would normally be taken down to the lower cards clocks. This has been known not to happen on ocasion but as a rule they do lower higher clocks. I beleive the memory would work in the same way.
Mactronix

Legless Ethiopian

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yea I've read you're right mactronix. If you have a 512mb and 1gb card they will only run at 512mb.

kurtyboh if you are looking at eventually having 2x 1gb graphics cards you will probobly want to think about 64bit windows unless you only have 2gb of ram. 32bit has a 4gb total memory limit. Just so you aren't surprised.

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I will be using vista 64 bit, And I've heard many people complain that they only get 3.2gb ram on vista 32, but I don't understand what addressable memory space is. I dont think i'll step up to the 1 gig then but im glad i didnt plan for it to work and find out after i shelled out my money

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I will be using vista 64 bit, And I've heard many people complain that they only get 3.2gb ram on vista 32, but I don't understand what addressable memory space is. I dont think i'll step up to the 1 gig then but im glad i didnt plan for it to work and find out after i shelled out my money

Thanks for settin me right guys!