Sign in with
Your question

The perfect enclosure

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2010 6:56:21 PM

I have about 20 drives floating around the house, some are SATA, some aren't. Some have enclosures, some don't. Some are good, some not so good. Some are huge, and many are tiny by today's standards. I would like an enclosure to put all of them in, that would allow me to access them if they work, and not lock up my machine if they do not. I want 1 power supply, not 20, and a firewire or usb 2.0 interface. Anything else is extra, but I do not want 5 4-port usb hubs connected to 20 external drives.

Does anything like this exist? Could it exist? What would happen if you had more than 26 drives?

More about : perfect enclosure

a c 415 G Storage
March 21, 2010 8:03:54 PM

Are you worried about 26 drives because you want to attach them all at the same time? If so that's a tall order.

But if you just one to attach one, get data from it, and then attach the next one, etc. - then what you're looking for is a hard drive dock like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not sure if there's one available for IDE drives because the IDE connector layout isn't quite as standardized as the SATA one is. But if there isn't then you could just buy a single enclosure and then swap different drives into it.
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:27:19 AM

I will be more than happy to help you out if you put some more information down. Like which ones are ATA and which ones are SATA. Form factors, sizes and such.

It could probably be achieved through using a motherboard with alot of SATA connectors in addition to one or two more PCI controller cards and some additional hard drive bays possible bolted to the bottom of a PC case etc.

For now, I'd figure out the sizes of each. If one is only 20GB, it may not be worth it to spend an extra few bucks to make it work.

You may want to take a large(er) case with a lot of preexisting bays and then take one of those cheap Cooler Master 4 bay enclosure things and put it somewhere in the case etc. Get a power supply with plenty of SATA/Floppy/Molex connectors, a cheap motherboard, and cheap processor and only a few GB of RAM.

In my opinion, it may be more cost effective, take up less space, and give greater performance by using only 2-4 high capacity drives that don't require alot of addons etc.

m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 1:35:52 AM

For $140, you can get a board supporting up to six SATA 6.0gb/s hard drives such as the new ones from Western Digital and Seagate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The fastest 1TB drive around and closing in on one of the fastest mechanical hard drives and for $120.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slap in a Sempron 140 processor and 2GB of RAM totaling under $100. Put in a 380W Antec Earthwatts and some quiet fans such as the Scythe S-Flex D fans and you have insane performance.

A "2TB Model" with insane performance could be yours for under $700. It might be that much just for those controllers which can cost $50-100 for decent ones plus a base system to run off of.

Your choice of course.
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:36:59 AM

1 Terabyte drive
4 500 gig SATA drives.
1 80 gig
1 60 gig
2 40 gig
3 30 gig
3 8.5 gig
the rest are smaller. I am pretty sure that everything under 500 gig is the old style drive. They all have stuff on them. I gather you believe the best solution is to move everything to the biggest drive and forget the rest. You believe this is a better solution than maintaining a large number of external drives.

I currently have the Sony VGX TP25e/b. 4 gig ram Intel core 2 duo 2.10 Ghz Windows 7 64 bit.
m
l
!