Do I have enough power?

I just bought an Antec Case from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129033)
It came with a 430w power supply.
I am buying a motherboard, cpu and vid card next and want to know if the following will work on the PS in the case:

Biostar GF7050V-M7

Core 2 Duo E8400

EVGA 01G-P2-N793-LR GeForce 8500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16

I wont be adding anyhting else.

So, will the power supply hold up or do I upgrade to something larger?
Also, I am open to comments on these three components as well!

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about power
  1. The PSU is fine for that config
  2. More than enough.
    I have this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129032 ( Got it at Best Buy for $49 )
    380 watt psu
    Asus P5N-E SLI / E4300 (1.8) oc'd to 2.4 / 8800GTS 512 OC / 1 HD / 1 DVDRW / 2x1g Ram / 3 fans
  3. quist101 said:
    I just bought an Antec Case from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129033)
    It came with a 430w power supply.
    I am buying a motherboard, cpu and vid card next and want to know if the following will work on the PS in the case:

    Biostar GF7050V-M7

    Core 2 Duo E8400

    EVGA 01G-P2-N793-LR GeForce 8500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16

    I wont be adding anyhting else.

    So, will the power supply hold up or do I upgrade to something larger?
    Also, I am open to comments on these three components as well!

    Thanks


    I've run an aggressively overclocked Q6600 and hd4870 on that psu without any problems. The psu will be around half load when the system is maxed out.
  4. Well, thats a relief!

    I am going to add just one more question in to this threade before I make up my mind.

    If I change the CPU to the Q8200 instead, using the same mobo and Vid card, would I have anough power then?

    Thanks for all of your input!
  5. yes. question is will you have the required plugs/connections?
  6. Some great resources I've found:

    This article says you should get a PSU that provides 2x of what you need.

    Or, you can also check out eXtreme's PSU Calculator.

    Hope these help!
  7. quist101 said:
    Well, thats a relief!

    I am going to add just one more question in to this threade before I make up my mind.

    If I change the CPU to the Q8200 instead, using the same mobo and Vid card, would I have anough power then?

    Thanks for all of your input!


    Yes, you could also add a more powerful video card along with the Quad and still have enough power.

    Check out DasKrabbe's post again, his Q6600 has higher power consumption than a Q8200, and his 4870 uses roughly 4 times as much power as an 8500 GT.
  8. Thank you all for your thoughts and imputs! I think I will look into a more powerful Vid card. I want one with at least 1gb of memory though. Any ideas where to start there?
  9. Quote:
    Thank you all for your thoughts and imputs! I think I will look into a more powerful Vid card. I want one with at least 1gb of memory though. Any ideas where to start there?


    Hmmm... I think if you want more video power, you'll have to consider changing your motherboard as well. Newer cards that come to mind like this and this already support PCI-e 2.0, and your motherboard needs to change so that you can maximize that.

    Maybe you should stay pat? Here's an article on PCI-e 2.0 and its advantages. Here's another thread on PCI-e 2.0 mobos.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Components Product