Just powered up my first build, problem

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
So I was excited when everything powered up, BIOS come on and then I get a message that says the following...

"A single graphics card is detected in slot PCIE X16_2 or PCIE X16_3. Please move the graphics card to PCIE X16_1 slot for non_SLI operation"

Then on the bottom I have some options...."Press Del to enter setup, ESC to enter boot menu" When I push delete or escape nothing happens and I am stuck staring at this message. I originally booted up my computer with 2 graphics cards and the sli bridge. I took 1 out and tried booting with just a single graphics card. I even moved it around in all the different PCIE slots, (there are three on this mobo) and still, I get the same message. Any ideas? I am pretty lost here, any help is much appreciated.

My system....

EVGA 780i SLI mobo
Intel QX 9650 Extreme processor
EVGA 8800 gt superclocked X 2
8 gb ddr2 1066 GSkill memory
Thermaltake 760 water cooler
Antec 850watt power supply
Antec 900 case

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Remove all the graphics cards and identify the PCIE X16_1 slot. It should be the one closest to the CPU. Install one graphic card into this slot. Don't install the second one. Try to boot. If you still get an error message then take the card out and put the other one in the same slot to test if one of the cards has a problem. If you're still having problems you should at least have a different error message.

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
So I played musical chairs with the other graphics card, (tried it by itself in each of the 3 slots) and every time I boot, I get the same message. This is discouraging and disappointing for my first build. I really thought I had it nailed! Has anyone ever even heard of this problem? I ran a search on it a didn't find very much.

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Okay, I will try clearing the CMOS. Just to clarify since I have never done this... I am going to find the jumper on the mobo and switch it to "clear" while the power is off. Then switch back to "normal" and power on the computer. Do I need to do anything in Bios after this??

DigitalD

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
That sounds about right but be sure to read your manual for any specifics. If you can make it into BIOS then you should set it up to your liking. Make sure that your hardware is being detected and check the hardware monitor page to determine that things are running okay. Set up your boot priority and then save everything and restart. Eventually you will want to familiarize yourself with each individual setting in your BIOS so that you can set them all up to the way you see fit.

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Alright, I have tried the other graphics card in the top PCI-e slot closest to the CPU (I believe this is PCI-E_1). Now when I power on I get a black screen, no picture and a single, long loud beeeeeeeep.

I even plugged in the card with a different 6pin connector from my PSU, thinking that maybe my graphics card was not getting power. I also cleared the CMOS by powering off, switching the jumper, switching it back to starting point, and powering on. This didn't work so I powered off, took the battery out and put it back in. No luck

After all this the result is the same every time. When card is in PCI-e_1 there is no picture and I hear a long loud beep. Perhaps a bad Mobo???

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I have searched around but can't figure out what exactly the long beep means, but there is a code on the mobo. "7F" which in my manual says POST error check.

I have unplugged HD and DVD drive, taken out all but 1 memory stick and still, same results.

Long beeeep, no post and code "7F"

BaronVonGotha

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
i've got a very similar problem to yours also on a 780i.

I'm trying to get two GTX 260s to work in sli. PCIE x16 slot No.1 works fine and both cards work but when i try to sli the card in slot No. 2 isn't detected in device manager. Now, when i just run one card in slot No.2 i get the blank screen and beep and nothing further happens. When i run one card in slot No. 3 i get the prompt to put it in slot No. 1 and cant press delete, F1 or ESC to do anything else.

I've got a support ticket in with XFX and I'll see what they say.

I reckon its a fault with the board.

wingmann13

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Sorry to say it but it sounds like a bad PCI-e slot. I had to RMA my board due to a bad slot #1. The new board works fine. Good luck