Solved

New A-Data S596 SSD not that fast

I just installed a new S596 128g SSD, fresh win7 x64 install on a P6T Deluxe V2 mb (driver ver 0804). I'm getting an AS SSD Benchmark score of 120. Sequential reads are ok - 220 mb/s, but random r/w (4K blks are 15/16 mb/s respectively). No perceived difference in boot/load times. Drive is running IDE in bios - but I've tried AHCI with no improvement. Drive only has OS and a few programs - no games yet - on it. Is performance normal for this drive? What should I check?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about data s596 fast
  1. Well what controller does it use? As you know, only the controllers from Intel, Sandforce and Micron offer good random I/O performance.

Controllers from JMicron/Toshiba and Indilinx offer substantially less random I/O read and write performance, and have high write amplification ratio.

They should still be good for booting and application-launch though, as latency and random read performance are the most important factors here and even cheap SSDs can do this very well.

Generally i recommend the Intel SSDs, as they are only slightly more expensive but offer a very good controller that is far superior to the Indilinx-controller SSDs.
  2. This is the JMicron 612 controller I believe - which was supposed to correct the problems with the earlier 602 controller. I found this at under $300 and wanted to give it a try.
  3. Best answer
    Well as i said, it still makes a good boot disk, and launching applications should be fast. But for an SSD, it's on the lower end of the performance spectrum.
  4. Best answer selected by dhartmann4030.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage