Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New A-Data S596 SSD not that fast

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2010 7:34:13 PM

I just installed a new S596 128g SSD, fresh win7 x64 install on a P6T Deluxe V2 mb (driver ver 0804). I'm getting an AS SSD Benchmark score of 120. Sequential reads are ok - 220 mb/s, but random r/w (4K blks are 15/16 mb/s respectively). No perceived difference in boot/load times. Drive is running IDE in bios - but I've tried AHCI with no improvement. Drive only has OS and a few programs - no games yet - on it. Is performance normal for this drive? What should I check?

More about : data s596 ssd fast

a c 127 G Storage
March 21, 2010 8:27:21 PM

Well what controller does it use? As you know, only the controllers from Intel, Sandforce and Micron offer good random I/O performance.

Controllers from JMicron/Toshiba and Indilinx offer substantially less random I/O read and write performance, and have high write amplification ratio.

They should still be good for booting and application-launch though, as latency and random read performance are the most important factors here and even cheap SSDs can do this very well.

Generally i recommend the Intel SSDs, as they are only slightly more expensive but offer a very good controller that is far superior to the Indilinx-controller SSDs.
m
l
March 21, 2010 8:52:15 PM

This is the JMicron 612 controller I believe - which was supposed to correct the problems with the earlier 602 controller. I found this at under $300 and wanted to give it a try.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
March 21, 2010 9:55:53 PM

Well as i said, it still makes a good boot disk, and launching applications should be fast. But for an SSD, it's on the lower end of the performance spectrum.
March 28, 2010 3:08:11 AM

Best answer selected by dhartmann4030.
m
l
!