Your question

Can i use 8800GT as physics card?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 12, 2008 4:42:45 PM

I recently purchased GTX280, and i'm not sure of what to do with my old 8800GT. I heard that you can use it as sort of physics card .... is it possible to do this? (while using GTX 280 as primary gfx card)

thanks in advance

More about : 8800gt physics card

November 12, 2008 5:04:35 PM

grunt123 said:
I recently purchased GTX280, and i'm not sure of what to do with my old 8800GT. I heard that you can use it as sort of physics card .... is it possible to do this? (while using GTX 280 as primary gfx card)

thanks in advance

yes
November 12, 2008 5:28:24 PM

Hi,

Do i just plug 8800GT card along with GTX280, and that's it? Do i need some sort of special driver?
Related resources
November 12, 2008 5:54:01 PM

Just plug in both cards (assuming you have 2 pcie x16 slots) and install the newest GeForce drivers from the Nvidia website. It contains the physix drivers. Once installed, you can got to the physix properties menu and set the 8800GT for physix
November 12, 2008 6:08:21 PM

that's pretty awesome. Thanks for help.
November 12, 2008 6:11:52 PM

Hey ! juts 1 more question, Is using a PHYSX card really help FPS ??? if you can post a 3dmark Bench before and after ?

I think a simple SLI might be better, but your 2 card arnt the same !
November 12, 2008 6:23:06 PM

It will work, but i do not know if i would do it just yet.

Almost no games use it, unless you have one game that you play that uses Physx you are just wasting electricity and money having it plunged in.
November 12, 2008 6:23:53 PM

From what i've read so far, it depends on what games you are playing since some games support physx and some don't. Usually, if you have just one gfx card (with phyxs enabled), a game tries to do both rendering and physics on the same card. But, if you have a dedicated physx card (GPU physics in this case, i guess), the physics portion is offloaded to the dedicated physics card. I don't know how much performance boost it will bring tho. I just got pc upgrade components, so need to install those parts myself tonight.
November 12, 2008 6:26:00 PM

Ares_ said:
It will work, but i do not know if i would do it just yet.

Almost no games use it, unless you have one game that you play that uses Physx you are just wasting electricity and money having it plunged in.

good point. Not many games support physx stuff ... although i heard that vegas series support physx. And, UT3 too probably
November 12, 2008 6:33:52 PM

i just read some reviews from

http://hothardware.com/Articles/BFG-Ageia-PhysX-Physics...

and as you cna see, there are MUCH more detail on the physics..... you bet !
But the FPS goes down, cause there are much more work to be done. The setup they used wasnt a GREAT gaming computer .. the test seems to be dating a bit.

But if your the kind off guy that want all the lill detail to be shown ! just go for physics card, or Link some more impressive Benchmark ;) 
November 12, 2008 6:41:39 PM

The physics will be processed either way, you won't see better physics in any game.
The point of PhysX is to take the strain off the CPU and put it on the GPU.
The point of doing this is to take even that strain of your GTX280 and put it on your 8800GT.

Will it be worth it? Well there are no games that support PhysX that will have any problem running 60+ fps using a single GTX280, mainly because most games do not use Havok or PhysX for their physics, and just do it using the CPU. Which, again, is not a real problem as most CPUs have lots of processing power not utilized when playing games. Maybe that's why they haven't got around to using CUDA yet, too.
November 12, 2008 6:54:00 PM

Physx doesn't NOT run on the cpu. It runs on an ageia physics card or nvidia gpu. With a a dedicated gpu for physx, you will not see a fps decrease like you would if your main gpu does both.
November 12, 2008 8:02:48 PM

PhysX is a specialized physics library. PhysX enabled games have the ability to perform more realistic physics calculations using PhysX, but the CPU is unable to process the information, so it is disabled by default. Either a NVIDIA 8000 series or higher, or the AGIEA PPU is needed to enable PhysX, and only works in PhysX enabled games.

In short, you get better physics at the cost of some FPS (usually not much) in games where PhysX is enabled, but nothing else if the game does not support PhysX.
November 12, 2008 8:07:30 PM

haaa thx Gamerk ;) 
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2008 4:51:52 AM

Also remember that using the GPU for physics has a higher CPU usage than the dedicated Ageia PPU, so if you're very CPU bottlenecked the advantage may not be worth the effort.

It's a neat idea and if the effects make you enjoy the game better, it's worth a cheap add-in card, but for many it's still too early to be useful for more than a tech demo.
November 14, 2008 12:33:29 PM

YES! Time to dust off the Voodoo 4500 PCI...wait...no. :)