My hard drive spontaneously unformats each week

b258

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello, I just bought a WD Caviar Black 750 GB HD (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010079). My other drive is a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB. Initially I wanted to use the WD as my main drive so I copied everything on the Seagate over to it. After about a week the drive would take forever to load up windows and wasn't working properly so I decided to just use it as a secondary drive to store all my movies and music on. Two weeks ago, after a week of working perfectly, it came up as being unformatted. After recovering all my data, reinstalling it, reformatting it using Seagate's Disc Wizard, it was working fine until today, Sunday, when it came up again as not being formatted. The only thing I can think of that preceded all of these spontaneous unformats is my anti-virus software defragmented my C drive the day before (nothing was done to the F drive though). Could that be the problem? I'm also running Windows XP Pro if that makes any difference.

And FYI, my computer knowledge is pretty limited beyond the basics so if you think I may have missed something very obvious either in the install or in the formatting or if I left out any pertinent information please don't hesitate to let me know or ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution

I've done it hundreds of times, just like everyone uses the HP utility to format thumb drives regardless of brand.

b258
sounds like you got a bad drive I'd recommend RMA'ing it.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

I've done it hundreds of times, just like everyone uses the HP utility to format thumb drives regardless of brand.

b258
sounds like you got a bad drive I'd recommend RMA'ing it.

Solution