Half Hung System

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Hey All...

I have a perplexing issue with my system and need some feedback.

The PC has a Pentium D 925, GA1975X board, XP Pro, with 4GB of RAM. When I leave it on overnight, the next day it is somewhat in a hung state. The mouse cursor will move, but when I open an application or even hit the start menu, it is non-responsive...however, the mouse will still function. Its not overheating in my office, but I do have it overclocked to 3.77 MHz, but still no change with the default core speed. I also have the Zalman fankit setup on it.

I already replaced the power supply to a 600W, but no change.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
This problem has recently occurred with no settings change to the BIOS or hardware with the exception of the new power supply.

Oddly enough, when I installed the new P/S laying on top the case, it was on for the weekend and ran fine. When installed in the case, the problem came back. I may crack it open and try it again with the P/S out of the case.

Thanks.

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
SpeedFan does not indicate anything abnormal. This chronic problem exists even with the cover off. I am running a SATA RAID1 for the data and U320 SCSI for the boot drive.

Power scheme is set to always on except turn off monitor after 20 mins.

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Another item is when I reboot, all is well until its stuck. Sometimes though, I can not start it until I wait another day and then it will fire up.

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I had it set at the default clock speed and the result was the same. Since I replaced the P/S, what component could create such a problem? CPU would either work or not. Ran 2 instances at the same time of MemTest against the RAM with 200% coverage...no errors. Motherboard slowly dying???

Kasoze

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I took a break from trying to fix this. I really do not want to buy a new motherboard. Anyone have new ideas?

Thanks.